• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/05/1975

As I have said before, I am a church pastor and also do quite a bit of evangelism.

Therefore, there are a lot of people who know me and what I stand for, this makes for an extreme inbalance. While there are many who know me, I can not possibly know each and every person that I come in contact with. Please bear with me while I try to explain my problem, I know the answer and what I am going to do but I would still like some advice.

I have owned a particular car for quite some time. I saw it, really liked it, caught the wife at work one day and bought it. I drove it for about a year. Everyone really thought it was ugly, but I found it to be very unique and in top shape too, I might add. Anyway, with a family, and about four other vehicles besides, reluctantly I put it up for sale. I don't need it, I just like it. Well, enough about that, let's get to the problem that I have.

Today, a guy called me about the car, he didn't even know what kind it was, he just said that he needed a car to drive to work.

He said that he knew me and that he had been to the church that I had previously pastored and also had been to other services that I preached in.

So, he tried to explain to me who he was and all the people that he knew, trying to find a connection, but that didn't help much.

He's very interested in the car but doesn't have all the money and really needs a car or so he says.

He wants me to take half the money tomorrow and the rest in weekly payments until paid in full.

This is a problem, I don't know him and I don't want to get taken, but I also know the Lord and what He would do, I think.

If I don't let him take the car and it turns out that he really is a good guy, then this, I believe, would hurt my reputation badly, especially since he knows a lot of people who know me.

If I do let him have the car on these terms and I don't get paid, he would be hurting himself more than me. I don't use the car anyway, I haven't used it in over a year, so I really wouldn't be out anything. It's just the thought of being cheated that bothers me.

Any advice?

If you need any more info just ask.

Guest asduke

Luke 6 (TLB)

30Give what you have to anyone who asks you for it; and when things are taken away from you, don

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

This is a very good question and I think asduke gave a very good answer.

I don't know what I will do when I'm faced with something like this. I havn't really thought much about it. So I think I should prepare for this because it is what we're called to do.

Thanks for bringing it up.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

But there is another Scripture somewhere talking about being wise with your money. I wouldn't lend money to someone I didn't know and just spoke with over the phone. This isn't a starving person on the street with no shelter, this is a guy that called you up whom you cannot remember, asking for a special agreement so he can get your car. I have suspicions as to why he dropped all of those names of the mutual friends you have.

There's nothing wrong with being kind and loving blah blah blah, but be sensible. You don't know this guy and so you don't know his heart. The only person that I trust that I haven't seen is Jesus - so should you. :t2:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Hello Jabner

i tend to think that the only way we can be hurt from being cheated is if we do not take into account the fact that we may be cheated. That is to say if you fully accept that this man could defraud you out of the full payment then when it happens you can be at peace because you took that possibility into account when agreeing to his offer.

Of course If the buyer does defraud you then his theft (that

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

Ask him what church he goes to...then speak with the pastor

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  10/05/1975

Thanks for the help guys. That's exactly what I was thinking asduke, I had pretty well decided to go through with the agreement, but I haven't heard from him today, maybe he changed his mind. :t2: I will keep you posted if anything else comes up concerning the matter.

It's a 1985 Olds Toronado in wonderful condition. Gold in color and nicknamed Goldberg. Just in case you were wondering. I have pictures too. I really like this car!

Guest LCPGUY

I think what I'd do is sell him the car on his terms, but keep the pink slip until it's paid in full. Would not that be a win-win situation.

Of course he may trash the car, but at least you did what is Biblical, both by helping him and by trying to be financially responsible. Another jewel in your crown!

In His Love,

Bro John

• Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,296
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  04/07/1989

agree w/ everyone on here