• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  222
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

FIFTEEN PROMISES OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN

TO CHRISTIANS WHO FAITHFULLY PRAY THE ROSARY

1)To all those who shall pray my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and great graces.

2)Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some special grace.

3)The Rosary will be a very powerful armor against hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy.

4)The rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies. It will draw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.

5)Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish.

6)Whoever recites my Rosary devoutly reflecting on the mysteries, shall never be overwhelmed by misfortune. He will not experience the anger of God nor will he perish by an unprovided death. The sinner will be converted; the just will persevere in grace and merit eternal life.

7)Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.

8)Those who are faithful to recite my Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces and will share in the merits of the blessed.

9)I will deliver promptly from purgatory souls devoted to my Rosary.

10)True children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in heaven.

11)What you shall ask through my Rosary you shall obtain.

12)To those who propagate my Rosary I promise aid in all their necessities.

13)I have obtained from my Son that all the members of the Rosary Confraternity shall have as their intercessors, in life and in death, the entire celestial court.

14)Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.

15)Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.

Fifteen Promises

Only Christ Saves :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Just wanting to know cause I don't know much about Catholic practices, but who gave Mary the right to grant promises and as Christians is there such a thing a Pergitory. I thought accepting Jesus ment you were saved by His blood being shed He sacrificed for all, it is all about Jesus.

Could someone please enlighten me cause I find this issue of Mary a lil mind boggling whith what I have been taught about salvation and Gods promises.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

So, exactly what is the Rosary? I've been considering asking Julie (my RC co-worker) about this as Elvis had a song entitled "The Miracle of the Rosary," but I read somewhere that the Rosary was rooted in pagan practices. Anyone care to enlighten me here? Thanks a bundle!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  287
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Just wanting to know cause I don't know much about Catholic practices, but who gave Mary the right to grant promises and as Christians is there such a thing a Pergitory. I thought accepting Jesus ment you were saved by His blood being shed He sacrificed for all, it is all about Jesus.

Could someone please enlighten me cause I find this issue of Mary a lil mind boggling whith what I have been taught about salvation and Gods promises.

God.

The rosary did not begin as a pagan practise. I could name about a trillion things that pagans did that non-pagans do today. It started with monks who would pray the 150 psalms. The laity who also wished to participate, but were typically illiterate, would say 50 or substitute Hail Mary's. Eventually this evolved into the Rosary as we know it today in about the year 1220. St. Dominic was using this method of praying the rosary when Mary appeared to him and told him the fifteen promises and said that she wanted the rosary said more often to help defeat the heresies that were becoming rampant at that time. There are 5 decades in the rosary, that's the traditional 50. You can also say all 15 that's the whole 150. The prayers said in the rosary mainly come from the Bible. The rosary isn't a repititious form of prayer as some like to say. As you pray you are actually meditating on the mysteries. I posted the mysteries below, the Luminous mysteries are recent additions which make the total 20 now, I am still not accustomed to the new ones.

It goes like this Apostles creed, our father, 3 hail mary's, then 5 decades each are our father 10 hail mary's and glory be. That's basically it, there are more details, but hey, I'm not trying to write a book.

Joyful Mysteries - Monday and Saturday. Also during the season of Advent they are recited on Sundays. Note: These were also normally recited on Thursday, but the Pope has suggested the new Luminous Mysteries for Thursday.

1. The Annunciation 2. The Visitation 3. The Nativity 4. The Presentation 5. The Finding of Jesus

in the Temple

Sorrowful Mysteries - Tuesday and Friday. Also during the season of Lent they are recited on Sundays.

1. The Agony in the

Garden 2. The Scourging at

the Pillar 3. The Crowning with

Thorns 4. The Carrying of the

Cross 5. The Crucifixion

Glorious Mysteries - Wednesday. Also Sundays they are recited from Easter until the season of Advent.

1. The Resurrection 2. The Ascension 3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit 4. The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary 5. The Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Luminous Mysteries - Thursday (as suggested by the Pope).

from Apostolic Letter On the Most Holy Rosary Rosarium Virginis Mariae

1. Jesus Baptism in the Jordan 2. Jesus self- manifestation at the wedding of Cana 3. Proclamation of the Kingdom of God 4. The Transfiguration 5. Institution of the Eucharist

God.

Could someone else please elaberate on this as none of that made sence to me. I understand that Marymay have appeared as a vivsion but where in the Bible does it say that by practicing rituals such as the Rosery we will be granted extra promises and where does it say we go to purgitory. These are the questions I'm trying to ask.

At the end of the Bible it says about not adding to so therefore there should be something written in the Bible that encourages the Rosery.

The Rosary Light & Life - Vol 49, No 5, Sep-Oct 1996

IN DEFENSE OF A TRADITION

By Father Paul A. Duffner, O.P.

Most of us are familiar with the tradition that goes back many centuries, and which has been accepted in the writings of many popes, as to the connection of St. Dominic with the beginnings of the Rosary devotion. According to tradition, the occasion was the Albigensian heresy which ravaged Christendom, particularly in southern France during the latter part of the 12th and the beginning of the 13th centuries. St. Dominic was distressed at his lack of success in his preaching in countering this heresy, and in his desperation turned to the Mother of God for help. She appeared to him (according to the tradition) and told him to use her Psalter in conjunction with his preaching of the mysteries of our salvation, as an instrument in combatting the great heresy of his day.

We do not have any historical documents dating from that period expressly referring to St. Dominic and the Rosary. We will endeavor to show, however, that there are a number of things that could be responsible for that silence.

THE EVOLUTION OF THE ROSARY

We have to keep in mind that over the centuries there has been a considerable evolution in the form that this devotion called the Rosary has taken. We have to remember that in the time of St. Dominic:

The HAIL MARY did not exist as we pray it today. Only the first half of it was then used. The word JESUS was not added until the 14th century, and the second half of the prayer came later still.

The OUR FATHER and the GLORY BE TO THE FATHER were not then part of the Rosary.

The Mysteries of the Rosary were not fixed as they are now. Even in the 15th century in the time of ALAN DE RUPE, O.P., who was responsible for the revival of the Rosary devotion 250 years after the time of St. Dominic, the Rosary he preached was the Marian Psalter of 150 Hail Marys and 150 mysteries. These were divided into three groups of fifties dedicated to the Joyful, Sorrowful and Glorious mysteries. The fifteen mysteries in use today were officially established by Pope Pius V in 1569.

There was no pendent (the cross and five extra beads) as we have now.

The very word "Rosary" taken from the Latin word "rosarium" meaning rose garden, or bouquet of roses, was not used in the time of Dominic as applied to this devotion. So obviously there would be no reference to that term in documents of his time.

THE MARIAN PSALTER

The custom of counting repeated prayers by the use of a string of beads or knots, or pebbles in a bowl was prevalent long before the time of St. Dominic. This was common among the Moslems, the Buddhists, and other non-Christian religions as well as among Christians.

From time immemorial the 150 psalms of the bible comprised the most important part of the official liturgical prayers prayed by the clergy and the monks in monasteries. Since, however, many of the common folk were illiterate, there was an attempt to offer those who could not read (especially the Latin) a substitute for the 150 psalms. The practice arose of substituting 150 OUR FATHERS in place of the Latin psalms, using a string of beads to count them, dividing them into "fifties". This chaplet, or string of beads, came to be known as "Paternoster" beads. Little by little, the HAIL MARY took its place along side the CREED and the OUR FATHER as a standard prayer. But still, it was only the first half that was used. In the course of time there came to be a parallel Psalter, i.e., one of 150 HAIL MARYS known as the MARIAN PSALTER.

TESTIMONY OF THE POPES

Pope Benedict XIV (1740-58) was a renowned scholar and a promoter of historical studies and research. When he was an official of the Sacred Congregation of Rites, he was asked about the tradition of St. Dominic and the Rosary. The following is his response, a century after the work of the Bollandists:

God.

Could someone else please elaberate on this as none of that made sence to me. I understand that Marymay have appeared as a vivsion but where in the Bible does it say that by practicing rituals such as the Rosery we will be granted extra promises and where does it say we go to purgitory. These are the questions I'm trying to ask.

At the end of the Bible it says about not adding to so therefore there should be something written in the Bible that encourages the Rosery.

You are correct, there is NOTHING in the bible to "authenticate" the rosary.

This is what the RCC calls tradition...it's not in the Bible but it is aproved by the "church"!

Only Christ Saves

Sorry Tyler, I'm lost here you've put up a couple of posts quoting but is there a statement you are making.

Could someone please help me to understand the questions I've asked regarding Catholic practices. Just trying to learn here but I must be a lil thick cause all that just went over my head. Simple terms for lil ol me please.

That passage is saying not to alter the Bible. The Bible says that it is not the end all be all. Not everything is in the Bible, and dat's in der Bible. There are several passages in the bible about purgatory, some are in books that were removed some aren't. If you deny that God is still guiding His Church, throw your Bible away.