• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

Hannah, I don't know that its a bad thing to feel empathy. I would be more worried if you delighted in the fact that someone was sinning rather than being compasionate and loving them. It's sort of like when a child is being bad and you don't tolerate the bad behavior, but it hurts you to have to correct them. You feel for them while being really annoyed at the behavior. Does this make sense?

:thumbsup: We are guided by His words. He knows what is best for everyone and if we love Him, we will abide by them. Yes, that will mean that there are truths that will seem intolerant to some lifestyles, but if they were not, I would not be here right now. I can only praise the Lord for for the convictions that His truth brought to me and the examples His children lead. Without either, there would be no hope for the lost.

Onelight, amen. I wouldn't be here either! Thank you for those heartfelt words.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

From my view being a christian means you would probably be intolerant of things like homosexuality, abortion and general sin. Is that being intolerant or just following one's religious guidelines?

My own view is i am a live and let live person. If you live and enjoy yourself without harming other people then i am tolerant of your lifesytle. Its when people do things that badly affect others is what i'm intolerant of.

So regards christianity if you disagreed with homosexuality i would have no problem. That's your opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. But if you protested against homosexuality where you would be affecting the life of a homosexual person to a detrimental effect i would be intolerant of that. I'm only using homosexuality as an example.

I see that you are a non-believer so you view makes sense to you. But as a Christian I would disgaree, because any sin that we do that affects us is wrong. You said as long as you live without harming other people that you are tolerant of that, but according to Scripture we don't have the right to harm ourselves either (harm as in sexual sins or any sin for that matter) because we were bought with a price, the blood of Jesus.

as a christian i see why you would disagree.

I don't agree with protesting against lifestyles...I agree with sharing what the Gospel says regardless of the sin.

Live and let live is not something a Christian can do with a nonbeliever, because that means not showing them what the Gospel says is wrong. If you live and let live then you are turning a blind eye on something that leads to destruction in the end.

I understand how as a a christian it is your duty show people the way if they are doing bad things. I get it. We just differ on the what might lead to destruction in the end.

Thanks for sharing your view. I respect your right to share even if you are wrong :noidea:

I too respect your right to share. Difference is i won't tell you your wrong and i won't roll my eyes at you. It's bad manners.

:noidea:

:D

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:35-36(a)

:P

and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36(b-c)

:thumbsup:

Ollkiller, telling you that you were wrong was meant to be funny, thats why I put the little smiley after it. I am sorry if it seemed rude to you. I meant no offence.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Great thread! I do have one question, though. As a very empathetic person, how do you suggest I keep myself from feeling guilty about being intolerant? It seems like I can't help but feel for the people whom I'm being intolerant to, and I hate that. Any suggestions?

No suggestions. It is the way Christ wants you to feel toward them. They are lost souls who know not what they do and are headed for a tormented eternal life and do suffer as we speak. Your compassion is a wonderful testimony to your faith and relationship with Christ. It is their choice to reject the way of Christ not yours.

Those who mourn shall inherit the earth.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  268
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

Be like the One spoken of below...

Your eyes are too pure to look on evil;

you cannot tolerate wrong.

- Habbakuk 1:13 (NIV) Edited by NickyLouse

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  249

Ollkiller, telling you that you were wrong was meant to be funny, thats why I put the little smiley after it. I am sorry if it seemed rude to you. I meant no offence.

Sorry my mistake, came up as the rolling eyes gif instead of the smiley gif for some reason. Later.

Guest Kenny N

When did this intolerance movement start?

In the early days of the Church Christians were tolerant of those they lived with--even though some were killed for their faiths--once Constantine converted paganism was tolerated by the leaders of the Church and state (this was true even before when they talked to pagan priests, and pagan philosophers). It was a pagan who was the most intolerant of them all.

Christianity killed hundreds, if not thousands, of innocents right from the heretics and Jews of the middle ages to the witch trials of early modern society.

We are told to love the sinner but hate the sin and the way to God is the narrow way.

So why this hate towards others?

When did this intolerance movement start?

In the early days of the Church Christians were tolerant of those they lived with--even though some were killed for their faiths--once Constantine converted paganism was tolerated by the leaders of the Church and state (this was true even before when they talked to pagan priests, and pagan philosophers). It was a pagan who was the most intolerant of them all.

Christianity killed hundreds, if not thousands, of innocents right from the heretics and Jews of the middle ages to the witch trials of early modern society.

We are told to love the sinner but hate the sin and the way to God is the narrow way.

So why this hate towards others?

Kenny, not all who claim to be Christians are, so not all killings under the name of 'christianity" are done by Christians. I don't quite know how you got hatred out of this message. Not being tolerant of what is called sin by God is not hatred. I don't tolerate bad behavior in my grandkids but it doesn't mean I hate them. It simply means they know the rules and are expected to abide by them. God has given us rules or standards to live by and anything short of that is not tolerated. As Christians our standards should be the same as Gods. That does not mean hatred towards others.