• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/18/1966

And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest.And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.(Acts 8:37) Some translations take this verse out, WHY? they claim 2 reasons. It depends on the translation as to why. 1 reason stated is that it talks of a body of water, but that there were 4 pools of water in that area, and therefore can't be sure which one the passage refers to, so they left it out. 2 that this verse was added later, and was not in the original text.

Lets look at reason 1, a pool of water, does it really matter? I think so, Jesus said that he was the living water, and we wouldn't thirst any more if we drink from his pool. Now if it were that it was a pool of water,why take it out, why not just be a note in the side bar, that it could have been one of four pools that the eunuch was baptized in? But this verse says HE BELIEVED AND WAS BAPTIZED, believed WHAT? That JESUS WAS THE SAVIOR, THE MESSIAH, THE REDIMPTION OF ISRIEL. That it's the belief in HIM that wipes our sins away. So how is it that this verse name a pool of water, other than JESUS BEING THE POOL OF WATER?

2 This verse was added later. If this verse WAS added later, than is Jesus really the messiah? Why believe in him before being baptized? I could just be baptized at any time, like as a baby. No, this passage makes it clear, we have to believe in Jesus first. That means I have to be able to understand that Jesus died for me, that I am a sinner in need of HIS saving grace. As a baby I can't understand this. I can't even talk to communicate theses things, even if I did understand. Also, if it were added later how do I know other things weren't also added? Did Jesus really do all the miricals that they claimed He did? Why not just start doubting this whole bible. I mean after all, it was written by men, and don't we make mistakes? Maybe it's just mans attempt to have control over us by making us think we have something to fear if we disobey?

To say this one scripture was added, and not worth being in, is like saying we believe in a false god. WE EITHER BELIEVE HE IS the messiah, OR JUST ANOTHER WAY into heaven, I believe JESUS IS THE SON OF THE MOST HIGH GOD. This bible was written by Holy men that were moved by God. God directed the pen that was in there hand, not the men themselves. That's why we should study to show ourselves approved, and not take mans word for what is in the bible. We should ask the Lord to give us understanding of his word, so we will know what is of man, and what is of God. This is my understanding of this verse, how about you?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

You are correct. Verse 37 shows us the secret to salvation. Faith in JESUS. There is no other way. Baptism is an act of obedience and a way of indentifying us with Christ. We follow the example Jesus set when he was baptised (death to sin, burial like Jesus and resurrected like He was). I can't speak as to the why of the removal of V. 37 but I can say that by removing it, those translations certainly do not point to Jesus as the way of salvation, but seem to be shifting the focus onto baptism as a means of salvation, which is false.

Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!

Call

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call

Joel 2:32

And Believe

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

And Stand Fast

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Job 19:25-27

Amen!

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  185
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  08/14/1972

And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest.And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.(Acts 8:37) Some translations take this verse out, WHY? they claim 2 reasons. It depends on the translation as to why. 1 reason stated is that it talks of a body of water, but that there were 4 pools of water in that area, and therefore can't be sure which one the passage refers to, so they left it out. 2 that this verse was added later, and was not in the original text.

Lets look at reason 1, a pool of water, does it really matter? I think so, Jesus said that he was the living water, and we wouldn't thirst any more if we drink from his pool. Now if it were that it was a pool of water,why take it out, why not just be a note in the side bar, that it could have been one of four pools that the eunuch was baptized in? But this verse says HE BELIEVED AND WAS BAPTIZED, believed WHAT? That JESUS WAS THE SAVIOR, THE MESSIAH, THE REDIMPTION OF ISRIEL. That it's the belief in HIM that wipes our sins away. So how is it that this verse name a pool of water, other than JESUS BEING THE POOL OF WATER?

2 This verse was added later. If this verse WAS added later, than is Jesus really the messiah? Why believe in him before being baptized? I could just be baptized at any time, like as a baby. No, this passage makes it clear, we have to believe in Jesus first. That means I have to be able to understand that Jesus died for me, that I am a sinner in need of HIS saving grace. As a baby I can't understand this. I can't even talk to communicate theses things, even if I did understand. Also, if it were added later how do I know other things weren't also added? Did Jesus really do all the miricals that they claimed He did? Why not just start doubting this whole bible. I mean after all, it was written by men, and don't we make mistakes? Maybe it's just mans attempt to have control over us by making us think we have something to fear if we disobey?

To say this one scripture was added, and not worth being in, is like saying we believe in a false god. WE EITHER BELIEVE HE IS the messiah, OR JUST ANOTHER WAY into heaven, I believe JESUS IS THE SON OF THE MOST HIGH GOD. This bible was written by Holy men that were moved by God. God directed the pen that was in there hand, not the men themselves. That's why we should study to show ourselves approved, and not take mans word for what is in the bible. We should ask the Lord to give us understanding of his word, so we will know what is of man, and what is of God. This is my understanding of this verse, how about you?

As to the differences on the bodies of water.....that is about as bogus an excuse as I have ever heard. I am curious to know if that was somebody's 'best guess' or if there is some legitimate scholarship behind that.

The second proposition, seems the most likely of the two. Of course that is just my 'best guess', as I am no scholar.

Regardless, it is fairly apparent that there are several manuscripts where the verse is not present. Given that, you have to draw one of two conclusions. Either it was an addition to some manuscripts, or an omission by others. I can't seem to see the logic behind omitting a verse that furthered to establish the deity of Christ, so again my 'best guess' would be that it is an addition.

The fact that some manuscripts are lacking the verse, is proof enough that there has been tampering with Scripture. This is by no means an isolated example.... there are others. Its definitely faith challenging to have to deal with the facts of the matter.

However, I believe God's will can not be subverted, and I believe that the transmission of the Gospel is definitely in accordance with His will. Though, we may be dealing with a Bible that has slight variance from the actual message laid down, through the prophets and apostles, I by no means feel that God has created a situation in which the Gospel has been irrevocably compromised to the point of having no effect.

If I am wrong, and such is the case, God help us all, for there is no help for us.

Mudcat

Edited by Mudcat

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

take this verse out and nothing changes, it does not change the nature of salvation. There are enough other passages that we can call upon that there is no reason to set doctrine on a disputed passage.

Agreed.

The original post seems to be more intent on creating an argument about Bible translations than discussion of soteriology.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

The simple reason is that the earliest translations (Masoretic for example) do not have this verse. As stated om this thread, it does not change the meaning at all. Why be so focused on a minor issue?