IGNORED

Do you think it matters what translation of the Bible a person uses?

Metadyjital

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Do you think it matters what translation of the Bible a person uses?

If so which one, and why - what makes it better?

Some are die hard KJV fans, others of the NIV - some think all but the KJV is a perversion. Personally I can see how the newer translations though lacking in some ways, may actually be more readable promoting better biblical literacy

Any thoughts?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I LOVE the prose of the KJV - but also check out other translations at time. I use an ESV study bible as well.

I like the KJV as well - but also like the NIV too. I know it has its supposed issues but I still think it's a pretty good translation

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Most of the modern translations such as NASB, NIV, KJV, HCSB etc. are fine. Try reading a couple and see which works best for your reading style

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

As a general rule, I don't think it matters. However, there are certain translations that are better than others. While the KJV may have beautiful prose, it is not reliable. It is based on texts that are not the oldest or most reliable, and as such are prone to some errors (most theological institutions dismiss it as useless based on the errors within). That is not to say taht I never read the KJV. I often use to contrast the different views of Christians throughout history and how people saw the Christian God in a time that I did not belong to. There is some great study to view how one person looked at one verse and how their opinion affected it.

That said, I don't use a single version. It may be convoluted, but I use multiple sources. My suggestion (or at least, this is what I do) - download a program called "E-sword" - Source. It's a free Bible-program that at its most basic level provides a KJV with Strong's Dictionary (each word in the Bible in its original Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic, which has the advantage of you being able to click on any word and it gives translations of what the word means, with all the different possibilities, this is helpful in understanding difficult words and passages). From here, then you can download different versions of the Bible onto the program from their website, as well as different Commentaries from some of the most influential figures in Christian history (including some Jewish sources that paint the Bible in a decidedly Jewish light - gives good contrast).

The versions of the Bible I prefer are the English Standard Version and the New International Version. The NIV is not as word-for-word accurate as translations such as the ESV, but is much more readable. The ESV is much much more literal, but because of this literal difference, is slightly harder to read (Grammatically speaking). But both are much easier than reading a version written 400 years ago using "thee's" and "thou's" and "behests" (even assuming the KJV were accurate, which is not - on the side, an interesting article debating two versions of the Bible (KJV vs Jehovah's Witnesses), they come to the same conclusion - no single text is the right one, which is why I like the ESV's policy of using "Majority-text" views when looking at the earliest manuscripts *"majority text" refers to finding all the earliest scripts and choosing the one that has the most support, not necessarily the one that supports your view*. Another good version (though I don't use much since I can only use via Biblegateway.com is the New American Standard Bible (NASB). Or for a Jewish perspective, you can download the "Jewish Publications Society" (JPS) Old Testament from E-sword. It's good for a Jewish perspective, and is helpful when looking for a Jewish point of view, but obviously is only available in Old Testament.

I also own a few Commentaries and Dictionaries of my own which I own and refer to at home, which all help add to the study. But I won't go into all that. Suffice it to say, I use all these texts when reading the Bible to get the most complete picture I possibly can, to get the most complete picture possible and view all possibilities and probabilities.

I think limiting ourselves to one translation only limits God, since translating from one language to another is never an exact science. Words that have certain meanings in one language can be totally and differently used in other languages.

I find using all these tools and commentaries and dictionaries and various translations provides me with a solid overall view of the Bible.

But in a general sense, most Bible's will generally have the same text, so if you don't have the time or the energy to go into all the commentaries and versions, the NIV, ESV, or NASB, would be my Bible of choice if available.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

As a general rule, I don't think it matters. However, there are certain translations that are better than others. While the KJV may have beautiful prose, it is not reliable. It is based on texts that are not the oldest or most reliable, and as such are prone to some errors (most theological institutions dismiss it as useless based on the errors within). That is not to say taht I never read the KJV. I often use to contrast the different views of Christians throughout history and how people saw the Christian God in a time that I did not belong to. There is some great study to view how one person looked at one verse and how their opinion affected it.

That said, I don't use a single version. It may be convoluted, but I use multiple sources. My suggestion (or at least, this is what I do) - download a program called "E-sword" - Source. It's a free Bible-program that at its most basic level provides a KJV with Strong's Dictionary (each word in the Bible in its original Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic, which has the advantage of you being able to click on any word and it gives translations of what the word means, with all the different possibilities, this is helpful in understanding difficult words and passages). From here, then you can download different versions of the Bible onto the program from their website, as well as different Commentaries from some of the most influential figures in Christian history (including some Jewish sources that paint the Bible in a decidedly Jewish light - gives good contrast).

The versions of the Bible I prefer are the English Standard Version and the New International Version. The NIV is not as word-for-word accurate as translations such as the ESV, but is much more readable. The ESV is much much more literal, but because of this literal difference, is slightly harder to read (Grammatically speaking). But both are much easier than reading a version written 400 years ago using "thee's" and "thou's" and "behests" (even assuming the KJV were accurate, which is not - on the side, an interesting article debating two versions of the Bible (KJV vs Jehovah's Witnesses), they come to the same conclusion - no single text is the right one, which is why I like the ESV's policy of using "Majority-text" views when looking at the earliest manuscripts *"majority text" refers to finding all the earliest scripts and choosing the one that has the most support, not necessarily the one that supports your view*. Another good version (though I don't use much since I can only use via Biblegateway.com is the New American Standard Bible (NASB). Or for a Jewish perspective, you can download the "Jewish Publications Society" (JPS) Old Testament from E-sword. It's good for a Jewish perspective, and is helpful when looking for a Jewish point of view, but obviously is only available in Old Testament.

I also own a few Commentaries and Dictionaries of my own which I own and refer to at home, which all help add to the study. But I won't go into all that. Suffice it to say, I use all these texts when reading the Bible to get the most complete picture I possibly can, to get the most complete picture possible and view all possibilities and probabilities.

I think limiting ourselves to one translation only limits God, since translating from one language to another is never an exact science. Words that have certain meanings in one language can be totally and differently used in other languages.

I find using all these tools and commentaries and dictionaries and various translations provides me with a solid overall view of the Bible.

But in a general sense, most Bible's will generally have the same text, so if you don't have the time or the energy to go into all the commentaries and versions, the NIV, ESV, or NASB, would be my Bible of choice if available.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

it does help alot! I'd love to see some links refering to the studies you discussed concerning the KJV if you have them available... If not, no problem. Just love to have supportive materials when discussing with others

I have e-sword, I'll look for the ESV module. I think I have it already. Doesn't the NIV leave out some text?

Another side item of interest that I'd love for you to elaborate on is:

I often use to contrast the different views of Christians throughout history and how people saw the Christian God in a time that I did not belong to.

thanks

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

A version that I am currently using is the Holeman. it combines the word for word accuracy of the NASB with the readability of the NIV

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

it does help alot! I'd love to see some links refering to the studies you discussed concerning the KJV if you have them available... If not, no problem. Just love to have supportive materials when discussing with others

I have e-sword, I'll look for the ESV module. I think I have it already. Doesn't the NIV leave out some text?

Glad it was helpful. i think the article I provided within my post is enough infomation for now - Westacortt vs textus Receptus. Westacortt's version is the one used by JW's. the KJV by many others. I don't think either are accurate and this article goes for some detail into it. The ESV primarily uses the Novus Testamentum as its source, which is currently the preferred text of theological colleges. the ESV differs in respect though that when controversial topics and passages comes up, it takes a "majority text" view, that is to say, looking at all the earliest texts, whether the Novum Testamentum says or not, if it is not consistent with other contemporary soures, the more "majority" is taken. The ESV, however, is very literal in its translation which means its grammar is not exactly suited perfectly for English speakers. The NIV is much better in this regard, though not as accurate. I can't say as I know of any part of the Bible that the NIV actually left out, though I am always open to new things.

Another side item of interest that I'd love for you to elaborate on is:
I often use to contrast the different views of Christians throughout history and how people saw the Christian God in a time that I did not belong to.

thanks

One of these I mentioned earlier is from Matthew 5, when Jesus is giving his sermon on the Mount and on the topc of "Do not murder", Jesus says "I say to you, any one that is angry with his brother hs committed murder in their hearts". The KJV has an added line which changes this to actually say "I say to you, anyone that is angry wtih his brother without cause has committed murder in their hearts". This is a very significant difference and leads to all sorts of questions as to what "without cause" might actually mean (I had a discussion with another member on this site over this issue recently). Since it's not in the earliest texts, it does provide good insight into what Christians believed in the early days, but helps us better understand what Christianity really is.

A better example is one that I did a study on fairly recently. It was From Mark 9:49, which in most reliable translations states "everyone will be salted with fire". This comes straight after a condemnation of Jesus warnign against the fires of gehenna (not to be confused with "hell", which some translations describe). I had all sorts of trouble sorting this passage out, and eventually wrote a four page article for my Bible Study Group on this one verse. Much of it hinged ont he fact that the KJV and some other (later) texts added an extra line: "Everyone will be salted with fire, and every sacrifice will be salted with salt.".

While not necessarily part of the original text, this extra section, considering sacrifices salted with salt, it provided an insight into the philosophy of early believers and how this passage might appeal to us today. If you're interested, I'd be more than willing to share my findings on that particular passage ("everyone will be salted with fire"), though I must warn, I'm not the fire-and-brimestone kind of Christian who sees the fires of hell everywhere, so my interpretation might cause some controversy.

Nonetheless, the offer is there if you want me to post it (or even PM it to you, if you want). though as I said, it's 4 pages long, so it's not exactly light reading.

But I digress. It's late in the morning and I should ahve been asleep hours ago. My mind is sort of in a daze and I'm really not thinking quite straight. Hope this makes sense.

edit: actually sending a PM now of the essay I wrote, hope you don't mind

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I personally like the NRSV. I also think the NIV and ESV are decent. The KJV has lovely wording on certain passages, but as someone else pointed out it is not the most accurate in certain sections. I don't really think there is one "perfect" or "only correct" translation, and I find it discouraging that some would bicker that only the KJV is right or whichever. To me, that is a stumbling block to faith, not to mention irritating.

I think the most important thing is to be aware of the basis of the translation you are reading. Most translations found in a Christian book store or even a regular book store like Barnes & Noble should be ok---just check out the background info on how it was translated if you are concerned. As long as you avoid well-known corrupt versions---such as the NWT promoted by the Jehovah's Witnesses---you should be ok.

Love The Bible

Jeremiah 15:16

................................................................................

New American Standard Bible

Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.

................................................................................

GOD'S WORD Translation

Your words were found, and I devoured them. Your words are my joy and my heart's delight, because I am called by your name, O LORD God of Armies.

King James Bible

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

American King James Version

Your words were found, and I did eat them; and your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by your name, O LORD God of hosts.

American Standard Version

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy words were unto me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by thy name, O Jehovah, God of hosts.

Bible in Basic English

But to me your word is a joy, making my heart glad; for I am named by your name, O Lord God of armies.

Douay-Rheims Bible

Thy words were found, and I did eat them, and thy word was to me a joy and gladness of my heart: for thy name is called upon me, O Lord God of hosts.

Darby Bible Translation

Thy words were found, and I did eat them, and thy words were unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; for I am called by thy name, O Jehovah, God of hosts.

English Revised Version

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy words were unto me a joy and the rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Webster's Bible Translation

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

World English Bible

Your words were found, and I ate them; and your words were to me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by your name, Yahweh, God of Armies.

Young's Literal Translation

Thy words have been found, and I eat them, And Thy word is to me for a joy, And for the rejoicing of my heart, For Thy name is called on me, O Jehovah, God of Hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

:th_praying:

Bless You Father

Praise Your Name Lord Jesus

Thank You Holy Spirit Of The Living God

Hallelujah!

Amen