• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/04/1970

I have a struggle with the face of Christianity.

On one hand is the voice of the Spirit that echoes in the heart what the Word tells us--compassion, love, joy, peace, understanding, faith, and repentence. All I need do is open the word of God and I am at peace with what He tells me. It is the Trinity, the Gospel, the Bible, the promises and the pitfalls of any believers walk. There is the relationship that we each have individually with our Lord and it's own path and growth and issues and obstacles--these are all what make our faith unique, and each of these relationships fit together to form a community or a church or even a denomination.

However, the other side is a bit different. This other side is the exact opposite. This side, seen on television, in books, and pounding-fist televangelists, is concerned with the relationship between the believer and the self-appointed "leaders". This side creates fear, consternation, anger and hatred. This side inspires selfishness and animosity to any who are not one of "us" but one of "them". This side has less love and peace and understanding and more in the way of division, of covetousness, of desire.

Consider how the so-called "prophets" on television, who are always explaining Gods plan to us as if we were unable to read, use so much fear in their diatribes. Look out for the Muslims, look out for Korea, look out for Russia--or the immigrants, the homosexuals, the democrats, etc. And their line is never about peace. Rather they tell you what you will lose, what will be taken, what will happen "if". So much focus is on the US and it's supposed "role" in the world. We are told that we must protect our rights, our beliefs, our nation, and our way of life.

What is one to believe? On one hand is our Lord and Savior, and on Him we have put our burdens, we have lain down our lives.

On the other, we are told that all the worries we laid down at Christs feet must be picked up and clutched to our chests so we do not lose them.

This duplicity is frightening, it is frequently un-Biblical, and often simply divisive. If we have nothing outside of Christ, what worry can their be for all the material things our lives have accrued. Even if we lose everything, won't we be exactly where we were when Christ first found us? And yet our airwaves are full of the voices that tell us always to fear, to hate, to fight. And for what?

Which one of you by worrying can add evn one hour to your life?

But better yet, Matthew 27:18-19

"All authority in heaven and on Earth has been given to me. Therefore go into the world and preach the gospel to all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I am with you always, even unto the end of the age."

Two faces, and only one can be true.

Guest JohnVogt16

I think peace in this world is too far gone, I personally believe that Jesus' return will be very soon, probably in my lifetime (though i am only 16). As the bible says in the end times things wont be getting better, many prophecies tell us what is going on in the world right now.

Guest JohnVogt16

I do however agree that there are two faces of Christianity, and one of them us clearly wrong. As paul states more than once, there will be false teachers! There is a church in california where the senior "pastor" is a lesbian! Cleary distorting passages in the bible that say it is a sin, an abomination! And that no homosexual will inherit the kingdom of heaven.

Guest JullesM

I don't know why you are expecting to get proper doctrine and teaching from TV. While there are a few preachers on TV who rightly divide the word of truth; I am sad to say that many of them are very far from what Jesus taught and what the bible teaches. I suggest that you find a local body of believers and study with them. Test what the pastor preaches in light of what the bible says. Be like the Bereans. I'm for throwing out the TV altogether. It's 99% trash. It's also controled by the world system and we know who is it's prince. There is no duplicity in sound doctrine. Any questions about a particular subject??? Try Charles Stanley at In Touch.org. Try RC Sproul at Renewing your Mind; try the bible answer man.

Try John MacArthur at Grace to You. Email me at sravn@hamilton.net. God Bless.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

It is import that each person study their Bible and know what is truth and what is lies. As we get closer to the end we will see more and more of these false teachers. Here is a commentary that my husband wrote on the subject.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Double Minded

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/04/1970

Trusting Jesus:

That was awesome! Exactly in line with my initial post.

The danger this false face has is as much to the believers as the non-believers. I hear intelligent and well-versed Christians repeat ideas relating to Christianity today that are completely ridiculous. I.E., that Barak Obama is the anti-christ. The well read among us know that whether there will even be an anti-christ is scriptually vague upon study. Don't get me wrong--someone who wants to believe so has enough circumstantial evidence to do so, but as for substance, the ideas are more or less supposition built upon one or two scriptures.

Anyway, the danger is the influence, and because some of the more subversive teachings take just such a "leap", seizing upon a vaguery as a chance to create a fissure, and thus a divide, one in which they can nestle into with their teaching and stretch out into other areas with this "message". Now, new believers can be caught, just like the Judaisers did, and made to accept ideas "about" the Word that are taking root. Inspired by their own interpretation, they proceed to infect the Word with their perversion, making the Bible effectively say something it doesn't. However, even mature christians can be drawn in if they are not so discerning, and do not check their ego at the door. These false teachings are very clever, but listen to the message!

How often is Jesus' name even mentioned?

Does the teaching appeal to the heart or the self?

Do the Bible verses given support the teaching?

Do you feel it in your spirit?

Yet this face is pervasive and growing. As for me, I wondered if there were many other Chrsitians who cringe at some what is said in Jesus' name on all of these christian networks(I get five or six with Directv--even the Mormons!). It wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't so widespread. I feel that too many good christians are being deceived, and many unbelievers being kept from the truth.

In Christ.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

It is a very sad comment on our society today that too many people allow other people to tell them what to think. Instead of studying the Bible -- and I mean really studying -- we listen to television, the radio, read books, even our own preachers and Sunday school literature tell us what the Bible says. But how often can anyone know if a book or a TV evangelist is giving us truth or lies unless we know the truth ourselves? Study.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

It is import that each person study their Bible and know what is truth and what is lies. As we get closer to the end we will see more and more of these false teachers. Here is a commentary that my husband wrote on the subject.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Double Minded

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

"If you do not have a sword, sell even your very winter coat to buy one."--Jesus Christ

You seem to have a rather segmented biblical attention.