• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

the only good thing you could do is put a tract in their pillow case. It will be tossed aside in favour of the mini Snickers bar.

You don't know that.

If you have the money to spend on tracts to put in the sacks of the beggars, feel free.

But remember that, most parents cull the bags of their children before they let them eat the candy. Any responsible parent would do that in today's society, with all the nuts out there that have to poison the candy each year. Yeah, it's not all that frequent but you wouldn't want it to be your kid either.

Parents get rid of candy that looks open, home made stuff (especially from people they dont know and who dont have a phone number and address inside of it), and written material they do not want their children to see (yes, nowadays perverts are out there too). I used to do this for my parents when my sister went out trick or treating, and when I stayed with my relatives I helped cull the candy my nieces, nephews and cousins brought in. Any written material was placed in a pile and the parent made off with it.

In general, parents tend to resent or regard with suspicion any attempt to lead their children into any belief system other than what is taught in the home. It is seen as very offensive, invasive and disrespectful of parental rights.

Very very true. I do the same thing with my sons candy. If someone were to throw in a Muslim tract, or Morman or JW literature I would remover it first and toss it.

I know some people don't like these, but they work.

Chick Tracts. Little comic books.

All one has to do is drop one in their little bag along with a candy bar. It's not that hard and kids do read'em.

And they're cheap.

If you can afford them. Keep in mind some of us are dirt poor. My mom buys candy for us to hand out here. I don't see her buying tracts being an athiest. LOL

I know what dirt poor is.

Working 40 hours, I take home about 145 dollars. That's if I get 40 hours....which rarely happens.

25 tracts are less than 4 dollars.

I'm just throwing this out there as an option. I understand that money is tight. If it wasn't for God, I'd be in the streets.

• Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

I know some people don't like these, but they work.

Chick Tracts. Little comic books.

All one has to do is drop one in their little bag along with a candy bar. It's not that hard and kids do read'em.

And they're cheap.

If you can afford them. Keep in mind some of us are dirt poor. My mom buys candy for us to hand out here. I don't see her buying tracts being an athiest. LOL

I know what dirt poor is.

Working 40 hours, I take home about 145 dollars. That's if I get 40 hours....which rarely happens.

25 tracts are less than 4 dollars.

I'm just throwing this out there as an option. I understand that money is tight. If it wasn't for God, I'd be in the streets.

LR is right though. Most parents would get them and toss them before the kids got them.

the only good thing you could do is put a tract in their pillow case. It will be tossed aside in favour of the mini Snickers bar.

You don't know that.

If you have the money to spend on tracts to put in the sacks of the beggars, feel free.

But remember that, most parents cull the bags of their children before they let them eat the candy. Any responsible parent would do that in today's society, with all the nuts out there that have to poison the candy each year. Yeah, it's not all that frequent but you wouldn't want it to be your kid either.

Parents get rid of candy that looks open, home made stuff (especially from people they dont know and who dont have a phone number and address inside of it), and written material they do not want their children to see (yes, nowadays perverts are out there too). I used to do this for my parents when my sister went out trick or treating, and when I stayed with my relatives I helped cull the candy my nieces, nephews and cousins brought in. Any written material was placed in a pile and the parent made off with it.

In general, parents tend to resent or regard with suspicion any attempt to lead their children into any belief system other than what is taught in the home. It is seen as very offensive, invasive and disrespectful of parental rights.

You call'em little beggars.........they're little kids. Children. Little creations of God.

You act as if they are some sort of abomination. Did you forget that God loves them just as much as He loves you?

Guest Biblicist
For those who don't celebrate Halloween.

If you're doing something on that night that you don't do any other time of the year, you're celebrating Halloween.

As for myself, it's just another day.

We do something different: we shut off our lights and pretend to be out.

What is it that causes you not to want to participate in Halloween?

Do you believe it to be an evil day?

I don't like it. It has its roots in the occult and so I won't give it any mind. It's not an evil day, but people give in to the pattern of the world by celebrating it, and many evil people celebrate it in evil ways. Even as a child, I was keenly aware of the origins.

Honey, many evil people celebrate every single holiday in many evil ways. Unbelievers celebrate the same holidays you and I do. What makes those different from Halloween? Each one has some roots in a pagan tradition with evil celebrations surrounding it.

I still think that pretending like you are not home when you are is a lie. If you are going to try to do the right thing you should not have to lie to do it.

It's not a lie. It is acceptable behaviour when one doesn't want to be bothered. Should I place a neon sign saying, "Go away!" on my lawn?

I am not lying by retiring to my rec room.

I think a neon sign is a great idea! :)

Guest Biblicist
You call'em little baggars.........they're little kids. Children. Little creations of God.

You act as if they are some sort of abomination. Did you forget that God loves them just as much as He loves you?

Well said, man. :)

• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

You don't know that.

You call'em little baggars.........they're little kids. Children. Little creations of God.

Oh for cryin out loud, it has been traditionally called BEGGARS NIGHT in some places for years. Halloween doesn't always fall on a night that is good for children to be out, so in some places the trick or treat night can be days before or after the actual 31st of October. That night is called Beggars night, the kids are called beggars and the act of trick or treating is called begging. The terminology, from what I understand, actually comes from Britain.

There is nothing insidious or disrespectful about the term beggar in relationship to Halloween and it's customs. I've used the terms since the thread opened. The term beggars night appears in plenty of my posts, therefore it would be reasonable to assume that this was a legitimate term. You should have asked if the use of the term beggar for "trick or treater" was appropriate before metaphorically getting in my face and assuming that it was pejorative in some way. I find that highly disrespectful.

Guest Biblicist
I fail to see legalism. It is legalism to try to restrict my freedom in Christ to not entertain goblins on Hallowe'en.

Give me a break. I don't have to answer a doorbell--ever. I have a right to enjoy a break-free evening. What are you people trying to do? Cause strife over this idiocy? What is the problem here? I wish people would stop that sort of thing.

I agree totally, I was on your side on this one, I was talking about the legalism of those calling you a liar for turning off your lights.

you need to relax, you are on the defensive even when people are on your side

Wow! ok. I couldn't see the legalsm...

I'm pretty certain that people know what a lie is. You feel you are right in not celebrating Halloween, that's kewl. But you don't find any problem with decieving the kids, and their parents, that come to your door?

To me it's a double standard.

If we choose not to celebrate Halloween, and we want people to think we are not home....we don't stay home. Simple as that. There are lots of places to go on Halloween night. It's only an hour or two anyway. Get out, go to the mall. It's not like there aren't 364 other days of the year you can stay in and watch movies.

I've known people who do this, and they are purposfully protesting Halloween by staying in, and "pretending" they are not home. It's not a good witness to me. Purposfully, knowingly being deceitfull....That's wrong.

:) I don't see how it's better than letting your kids dress up and go out and collect candy from the neighborhood.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I fail to see legalism. It is legalism to try to restrict my freedom in Christ to not entertain goblins on Hallowe'en.

Give me a break. I don't have to answer a doorbell--ever. I have a right to enjoy a break-free evening. What are you people trying to do? Cause strife over this idiocy? What is the problem here? I wish people would stop that sort of thing.

I agree totally, I was on your side on this one, I was talking about the legalism of those calling you a liar for turning off your lights.

you need to relax, you are on the defensive even when people are on your side

Wow! ok. I couldn't see the legalsm...

I'm pretty certain that people know what a lie is. You feel you are right in not celebrating Halloween, that's kewl. But you don't find any problem with decieving the kids, and their parents, that come to your door?

To me it's a double standard.

If we choose not to celebrate Halloween, and we want people to think we are not home....we don't stay home. Simple as that. There are lots of places to go on Halloween night. It's only an hour or two anyway. Get out, go to the mall. It's not like there aren't 364 other days of the year you can stay in and watch movies.

I don't go out when my husband works 7am to 7pm. I am home for him. It is not deception to leave a door unanswered. It is a choice to decide to not be disturbed. The inference that deters people knocking or ringing or calling out is that seeing a darkened house, no one is home... and that is just what I am going to do. We do not go to movies in theatres. Any more suggestions? Maybe I should answer the door and tell each kid, "Get lost! No candy here!"??

I'm not letting this stupid day make me run out of my house when I have every right to remain there!

I've known people who do this, and they are purposfully protesting Halloween by staying in, and "pretending" they are not home. It's not a good witness to me. Purposfully, knowingly being deceitfull....That's wrong.

:) I don't see how it's better than letting your kids dress up and go out and collect candy from the neighborhood.

Who's witnessing it? You? Then you should understand and have grace toward them. It isn't wrong.