IGNORED

The divorce and remarriage question

KC02

Remarriage evil when:  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Can Christians remarry and be blameless?

• OK if one partner committed fornication
    • OK if the an unbelieving partner leaves
    • Ok if there are violence/abuse involved
    • OK only to stay single after divorce
    • OK to divorce/remarry for "any cause"
    • Ok only to stick it out since we have an almighty God
    • Only ok in case of a death to a spouse

Fornication is a word that describes a certain act. The sin is adultery. Adultery includes all of the sexual physical acts between 2 people.

Fornication is sex between 2 unmarried people...adultery is sex between marrieds - who aren't married to each other.

This thinking is so wrong and why IMO we have all the trouble with sex in todays world. If your premise is true, why did our G-d leave out instructions for single people from the 10 commandments. For example, thou shalt not commit fornication....why did He leave this out...is your definition of fornication less of a sin????....are you suggesting that cheating before you get married doesn't hurt or rob your spouse.....is it possible that this attitude is yet another of mans compromises of G-ds word.

Adultery is having sexual relations of any kind with a person who is NOT your spouse. How more plain and simple could it be.

Please if you will, provide for me scriptual references where G-d says adultery only occurs between married people who stray. The word fornication describes an act, I would list other words that describe certain acts, but refrain from doing so because of the age of some readers.

Furthermore, are you suggesting that other sexual acts other than fornication do not constitute adultery??? Was Clinton correct when he said he didn't have sex with the woman, and not guilty of adultery????

Adultery is when a married man or woman engages in sexual relations with someone other than their spouse, however fornication covers a wider array of sexual sins, including sex between two unmarried people. The two sins are dealt with differently in Old Testament times, for instance, if two unmarried people have sex, they are told to marry. If someone commits adultery, they are to be put to death.

Regardless of that, I agree with you that fornication is a serious sin in the sight of God. It is in a list of sins that will keep one from inheriting the Kingdom of Heaven. You can't get more serious than that. The question here is whether or not living together in fornication is the same as being married in the sight of God, and if that couple are bound together till death do them part? I don't believe they are bound in marriage, or there would have been no reason to tell them to marry in Old Testament times. What they did was sin in the sight of God, and the solution given for that is to confess their sins to God, and go and sin no more.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HIS girl

I am definitely NOT saying that fornication(between unmarrieds) is "less" a sin than udultery..NO WAY..

Adultery is also between unmarried and a married so I may have been in error there. I grew up with that knowledge of fornication and adultery ok? So if I got it wrong you don't have to come down on me so HARD!!!!

ALL sex before marriage is wrong, wrong, wrong....

Adultery: unlawful sex, illicit connection with a married person, marital infidelity.

Sex between a married person and someone who is not his/her mate.

Fornication is sex between 2 unmarried people.

Guest HIS girl
what about courtship, romance, and love? Gee whiz don't take the fun out of being alive people!

I'm all for those things...But I'm not sure if that's what God wants for me.....at this point in time!

I am so glad that God is L O V E !

If i were a young man on the move and searching for my helpmeet that the Lord removed from my side I would be scared to death of even looking at a girl from listening to the "Legalese" that everone starts in about when ever these subjects come up!

what about courtship, romance, and love? Gee whiz don't take the fun out of being alive people!

I don't know if you remember this Daystar, but after Jesus spoke on the issue of divorce and re-marriage to his disciples, one of them came back and said that if this was the case, then it was good if a man never marry. Jesus said that what he was about to say could not be received by all but who it was intended, but that some men were born eunuchs and others became eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven's sake. In other words, if someone decided they don't wish to marry because of the "Legalese" of the matter, they would do well not to marry.

I'm all for those things...But I'm not sure if that's what God wants for me.....at this point in time!

My advise to you is look at what the Bible says on the matter, and let God lead you. Don't worry about the criticisms of people, but at the same time, don't let people lead you to do something that will violate your own conscience.

Guest HIS girl

My advise to you is look at what the Bible says on the matter, and let God lead you. Don't worry about the criticisms of people, but at the same time, don't let people lead you to do something that will violate your own conscience.

Absolutely. :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hebrews 4:15 - For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin.

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Luke 6:35 - But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

Luke 6:36 - Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Luke 6:37 - "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned."

And they most definitely should not split up and get back together with their original partners (that is most definitely a biblical no-no). It's all quite muddled and difficult - sin always is.

close, but incomplete. scripture forbids a couple to remarry each other IF one of them has married and divorced someone else during the interim.

The question as to whether a divorced/remarried person can be considered "Christian" is yet another issue. For this, I think only God can know for certain, and it depends on whether the person knew that what they were doing was wrong, and/or whether they had truly repented of that. I cannot point fingers and say a person is saved or not - it is not my place to Judge. Something for God to work out between them and him. It all comes down to what's in the heart.

This is what I think the Bible says about the matter. hope it helps :huh:

~ PA

it depends on a, b, and c? uh, no. i have to disagree with you on that. it depends on whether the person involved has repented of their sin. divorce is not the unforgivable sin.

a scripture comes to mind... i don't want to look up the chapter and verse, but it's the one where paul says if you are bound to a woman, don't seek to be loosed, and if you are loosed from a woman, don't seek to marry, but and if you marry, you have not sinned. the scripture then says AND if a virgin marries, the virgin has not sinned. this passage has been hotly debated many times and i won't participate in another such debate, but the bottom line is, even paul was indicating here that forgiveness extends even to a repentant divorcee.

and i'll say this. i am a christian, i divorced my first husband (knowing it was wrong), and God chose my second husband. (there have been times i wondered why, but deep down i know why, and God's plan is still in the works.)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

The only biblical grounds I can find for remarriage is in the event of a spouses death, and even then there are still standards that have to be met. You have to marry a believer. Fornication is only a reason for divorce, I don't see anything about being allowed to remarry.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Thanks for all of the answers. It appears to be one of those things where Christians will never agree on.

If the Law called for those that commit adultery to be stoned, why were they a need for divorce?

Does it make sense to divorce for fornication and not abuse? I can never wrap my head around the logic.

If we define fornication broadly enough, then nearly everyone would be "off the hook." Charima Magazine has articles every month on divorcing ministers. These are tabloid-gutter-rat stories. It's always great to see the reader's comments about how they should have allowed God to fix all of their problems.

It's fun to cast stone until your own marriage is on the rocks.

HisGirl, you were never married so it should be a non-issue. You made no vows to stay with that man. I think a covenant defines a marriage, not living together. You may check into that. But if you are smart.... :emot-handshake: