• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

As we already know the election process as it is has been structured to favor the wealthy and influential but it seems also to favor the two major political parties as well. According to the author anyone running against the two major parties have to virtually bend over backwards to comply with the huge array of hurdles imposed by none other than the two incumbent/embedded parties. So now it appears you must be more than wealthy to ascend to higher office but you must be well connected AND beholden to the major parties. It there no wonder the nation is so polarized? Is there no wonder we are stuck with a an endless batch of cretins running our nation into the ground? Is there and wonder why our choices for President always seem to end up an ultimatum forcing us to choose between the lesser of two evils each and every time? Something must be done to weed out the unwanted without having to turn lead into gold. We need options not edicts.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

As we already know the election process as it is has been structured to favor the wealthy and influential but it seems also to favor the two major political parties as well. According to the author anyone running against the two major parties have to virtually bend over backwards to comply with the huge array of hurdles imposed by none other than the two incumbent/embedded parties. So now it appears you must be more than wealthy to ascend to higher office but you must be well connected AND beholden to the major parties. It there no wonder the nation is so polarized? Is there no wonder we are stuck with a an endless batch of cretins running our nation into the ground? Is there and wonder why our choices for President always seem to end up an ultimatum forcing us to choose between the lesser of two evils each and every time? Something must be done to weed out the unwanted without having to turn lead into gold. We need options not edicts.

I SO agree, Dannyboy. When the conventions were over I remember asking a lot of people "is this the best we can select...considering all of the talented, well qualified people in this country?" I was never crazy about any of them, until the selection of Palin, and I actually voted for HER, not McCain. No regular citizen could ever get elected to the Presidency and that's NOT how it was meant to be. :rolleyes:

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.85
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Term limits.

You can not force someone to run for office.

Did I miss something? I don't think anyone was implying that we should or could. The problem I was pointing out was that should anyone decide they would like to run their chances are vastly compromised by the laws instated to protect incumbents from both major political parties.

As for term limits they would, sadly, have to be passed by the very same people we wish to weed out. There is no incentive for them to shorten their own political careers despite their receiving retirement pay and health care for only 4 years service.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.85
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Term limits must be passed on the state level first. Then it will be possible to put people in office who actually support the will of the people. It will take a Constitutional amendment.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Term limits.

My two most favored words in the English language.... :whistling:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

Term limits.

EXACTLY ! Think John Murtha. :noidea:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

I for one would like to see the Libertarian and Green parties be actual contenders.

According the the author some states wont even allow these parties on the ballot thanks to laws written by the two major parties.