IGNORED

I'm a little frustrated, and a little down...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all, I'm wondering if I could get some sound advice from ya.

For the past 7+ years I have been a very happy, successful hair stylist. About 1 year ago, I switched salons to work closer to home and ever since I switched I have had nothing but bad luck. The first salon I went to closed down soon after I moved in, then, just today the salon I work at announced they will be closing their doors at the end of the month. Um... okay. What's up? I know with the economy the way it is my industry has slowed down quite a bit, but I have many friends in this industry that are still doing well. I have been praying and praying for guidence regarding my career path and I have to wonder if I'm being told that I shouldn't be in this field anymore. I mean really, what are the chances of working at two different salons and they both close down soon after I'm hired? Maybe I'm bad luck :o Hmmm, gives me something to think about.

Anyway, I guess my question is, what is your take on this? If you were in my shoes would you start looking for a different kind of job or stick it out? Just so you know, I love doing hair and am very happy behind the chair. But do you think God is trying to say something to me, or am I making a big deal out of nothing? //Sidebar// it is very hard to move from salon to salon and keep your clients. In fact, it's downright impossible. So now I will have to start over again! UGH :emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Starting over is always difficult. If you love working with hair then I think you should do it. Is it possible for you to open your own salon? I know it is very costly, but that might be a solution. Could you work out of your home? I know quite a few stylists who have converted their garage into a salon. I also heard of a lady who, instead of working in a salon, would go to the customers home. She only cut hair, but was always busy.

Just a couple of ideas.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

If only you knew how this one hit home. I would "die" for my stylist just be this concerned about how I felt about each move she took. I really should say past stylist. My problem has been that they move without me or that they don't contact me with all my info I have given them to do so.

I say contact your clients and move on to the next salon. I don't view this as any bad luck. It is simply the economy and some shops will not make it. Perhaps you could work at a franchise? Don't be discouraged. BUT make sure you contact your clients. Those who really like you will travel along with you. :amen:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

If only you knew how this one hit home. I would "die" for my stylist just be this concerned about how I felt about each move she took. I really should say past stylist. My problem has been that they move without me or that they don't contact me with all my info I have given them to do so.

I say contact your clients and move on to the next salon. I don't view this as any bad luck. It is simply the economy and some shops will not make it. Perhaps you could work at a franchise? Don't be discouraged. BUT make sure you contact your clients. Those who really like you will travel along with you. :vader:

That's funny you should say that. I try to keep a VERY current and accurate log of all my clients addresses and phone numbers. I'm feeling better about having to move again, it's just so sad. I really love the owner and it's hard to watch her lose her 2nd home. She has "lived" there for 22 years. Ah well, time to move on!! Thanks for your advice.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

I don't believe in 'Luck" but I know we all go though valleys sometimes. Been in quite a few over the years. Maybe you could work out of your home. Contact some of your clients, ask family and friends to put the word out for you. Praying for your success in whatever you choose to do.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/30/1962

im a dump truck owner operator,awhile back i was in a bad accedent , i rolled my truck 3 times avoiding a 4 wheeler on his cell phone,then the dude drove off and was never found ..i thought god was sending me a message to leave trucking bbbbbbbuuuuuuuutttttttttttttt .............> a week after i was contacted by my broker who had a truck (like new) and she sold it to me for the amount of my insurence settlment ,, imagin that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then i remembers a saying from a old trucker buddy of mine(GOD DONT PUT YA OUT ON A LIMB JUST TO CUT IT OFF) I SUSPECT YOU WANTED TO BE CLOSE TO HOME for the right reasons,,,,, satan doesnt want that,, he needs you to away,, i think you are going in the right dirrection ,,remember the lady that was told to borrow all the empty jars and pour that little bit of oil in em till they where all full? mabe your jars are about to filled if ya just hang in there,, praying for you too arrow from god :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  624
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  11/21/1952

Jaci,

I don't believe luck has anything to do with the closing of this second shop. I really believe that nothing happens without God's approval.....not coincidences.

I agree with the other poster's before me. Go for it! If you love doing hair then that's most likely what you should do.

Also, this economic crisis half of the countries in the world are in isn't helping any. I normally have my hair done by my stylist once a week...thenI do it in between. But because of the decrease in my husband's hours we just can't afford it.

Hold on....God will never let you go!