• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

others say that a person becomes a saint when they have accepted Christ...... neither things i have found in the Word either.....

Look up the word 'saints" in the Bible. All Christians were known by this term in the early church. I cannot enumerate how many times it's there.

"To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, the called saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. " (Rom. 1:7)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

"And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. " (Rev. 21:14)

There are only 12 foundations to the holy city. That is how we can be assured that there were/are only 12 apostles of the Lamb.

What about Paul was/is he not an apostle?

Paul was a called apostle (1 Cor. 1:1), not an "apostle of the Lamb" as the verses in Revelation delineates. There were only 12 children of Israel too, yet there are thousands of believers who were grafted into Israel.

There are no apostles today in the same sense that the 12 were apostles or in the sense that Paul was an apostle. Note that in 1 Cor. 12:28 it says that God "has places some" in the church. It does not say that God "is placing" some in the church.

In the broad sense todays apostles would be those who are gifted at starting new ministries in unreached places (church planters, missionaries, etc.)

:emot-bulbman:

Amen!

Apostle Is Not Just Some Title

For It Is The Christ That Strengthens Weak Men And Women

And It Is He That Shapes Them Into Servants Of The LORD God All Mighty

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

And All Glory Goes To Jesus

:24:

The Missionaries

Apostles

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

Are God Picked

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; Ephesians 4:11

And God Equipped

But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. Ephesians 4:7-8

To Humbly

I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Ephesians 4:1-2

Serve

For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Ephesians 4:12

As Are The Believers Who Followed

And these signs shall follow them that believe;

In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. Mark 16:17-18

And Who Are Still Testifying With The Word And With Their Blood

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. Matthew 24:14

Part Of The Apostolic Generation Until The Savior Returns

So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Matthew 24:33-34

Shortly Beloved Shortly

Maranatha!

:24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

i had never thought of this in such an in-depth way. it seems that there are just the 12 apostles. (that 12 foundations thing seems fairly cut and dried, don't you think?) the rest of us are kings and priests !!!! functioning as eyes and ears and feet and hands and mouths, etc. in the ONE Body of Christ.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/30/1962

i beleave that (this is just me mind ya )that any beleaver can have any of the gifts his faith being the key,peter failed on the water walk because?we all know that one lol. but to get to the point,, if you say as a saved person asked to be an apostle and truly ment it ,, asking god with ferverent prayer remembering what jesus said to two of his apostles (are you will to drink of the cup i must drink from) doing everything the apostles did,,leaving famliys houses parents children ---- everything even self preaservation behind, i think it could happen,paul never walked with jesus except in spirit,and we have the same spirit as steven the martyer had or any of the prophits had, i think it would be a matter of faith and willingness to serve without question gods will.. just a thought tho,, john the baptist never did a mirical but was called by jesus the greatest prophit ,,arrow from god :24:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Respectfully, once Judas was removed, that was 11, then when Mattias was added, we're back to twelve. And Paul excluded himself when he said this ;

1Cr 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1Cr 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

1Cr 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

1Cr 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

He was referring to a time before his conversion, and thus his exclusion. Those are the twelve, the ones who witnessed.

My opinion.

Respectfully, once Judas was removed, that was 11, then when Mattias was added, we're back to twelve.

My opinion.

Respectfully, traveller, that made me chuckle. :runforhills:

So you are saying that they are enumerated only while living?

When one dies, they are no longer an Apostle and no longer add to the sum total?

So then we have had only four Presidents of this country, huh?

Clinton, two Bushes, and Carter ? :24:

Although, I would agree with your analysis if you are describing the Twelve "Apostles of the Lamb."

But clearly, we have more than twelve people whom the Word of God calls Apostles.

Chuckles are good for ya! :24::emot-bulbman:

I thought we were talking about the twelve of the Lamb? :24: And, evidently Paul didn't count Judas.

pardon me for not reading the whole thread...hope I can contribute something of value.

I think the word "apostle" is greek, no? The original guys weren't greek

The word that would have been used by these jewish men would be "shaliach" which means "sent one". The Shaliachim (sent ones) were overseers of an assembly so it seems that their job description is about being sent out for planting, watering, and growing healthy communities of faith and raising up disciples.

But clearly, we have more than twelve people whom the Word of God calls Apostles.

Clearly - because Paul went on to say:

1Cr 15:7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.

1Cr 15:8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

1Cr 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Of course, Paul was being modest and humble, because he certainly was an apostle, and a tremendous one at that.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/19/1947

ok guys what i really wanted to know is just what signs of an apostle was paul talking about in 2Cor12:12