IGNORED

Twilight

Guest HIS girl

Guest HIS girl

The movie...

I have spent some time recently with family and 2 of my nieces have been reading a book called Twilight and one has seen the recent movie 3 times...they are quite "into" it - (they are not Christians). Apparently it is THE book/movie at the moment with teenagers and 20 something..

It's about vampires and has a lovestory woven through it. Now one of my boys wants to read it - but I let him know clearly, I would rather he not.

Has anyone here read the book or seen the movie?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

The movie...

I have spent some time recently with family and 2 of my nieces have been reading a book called Twilight and one has seen the recent movie 3 times...they are quite "into" it - (they are not Christians). Apparently it is THE book/movie at the moment with teenagers and 20 something..

It's about vampires and has a lovestory woven through it. Now one of my boys wants to read it - but I let him know clearly, I would rather he not.

Has anyone here read the book or seen the movie?

OK, this will probably turn into a big controversy, like the Harry Potter stuff, but.....

My daughter (23) is very into the Twilight stories and has seen the movie a few times. Definitely chick flicks! I read the books and except for the last one, they are very tame. The vampires use animals as food instead of people. The couple gets married in the last one so there are references to ... 'the marriage act..." :emot-highfive:

I am one of those who have no problem with these stories. Just as I enjoy the Harry Potter stories. I find the imaginary worlds entertaining. As my sister, a pastor's wife and writer herself put it. "They create a fantastic world and then put people with everyday problems into them. "

You now proceed to throw your stones...... :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have read the whole Harry Potter series and had no problem with it- like IslandRose said.

I was slightly ill-at-ease with Twilight but nothing to do with the vampires- I am just not sure this is teenager literature. I work with teenagers aged 11 to 15 and most of them are just too young for that kind of matters. Basically Bella and Edward can't flirt much because Edward is a vampire and going beyond kissing could endanger the girl. So they try to refrain their desire.

I would not like my own children (if i had children) to read that kind of things before a certain age.

Guest HIS girl
I have read the whole Harry Potter series and had no problem with it- like IslandRose said.

I was slightly ill-at-ease with Twilight but nothing to do with the vampires- I am just not sure this is teenager literature. I work with teenagers aged 11 to 15 and most of them are just too young for that kind of matters. Basically Bella and Edward can't flirt much because Edward is a vampire and going beyond kissing could endanger the girl. So they try to refrain their desire.

I would not like my own children (if i had children) to read that kind of things before a certain age.

That's the thing - teens are seeing this flick as well as reading the books.

My 12 year old son wants to read it, but I am against it because it brings in the themes of demonic activity to unsuspecting and immature minds. In a way I believe it introduces this kind of activity to children and the authors presenting it in a "harmless, cosey" fashion. You know weave a love story into it and it will be more acceptable as well as drinking animal blood instead of human - that sort of thing. I'm uneasy with it. Plus the guy who plays Edward in the movie is goodlooking apparently (I don't know him) and has the girls in a spin...well my nieces anyway.....

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I watched the Dracula stories when I was a kid.

I especially liked the way they turned into dust when ya exposed them to sunlight and the way Holy water would make them melt and smoke.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Here's a good place to read reviews from several believers:

http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/...ilight2008.html

Guest HIS girl

Thanks Neb!

Sometimes I wonder if I should just go with my gut instinct.....

Maybe as a society we are getting desensitized because of the shows like Buffy and the rest of the supernatural themed tv shows that have aired over the last decade...

Maybe I'm old school AND overprotective Mum...

Maybe as a society we are getting desensitized because of the shows like Buffy and the rest of the supernatural themed tv shows that have aired over the last decade...

Have you ever watched any of those shows?

Guest HIS girl

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time and I didn't let my boys either...it hasn't affect them any for missing out.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time and I didn't let my boys either...it hasn't affect them any for missing out.

So you've never watched a movie or TV show, read a book that had any kind of supernatural theme to it?