• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

i think internet services are wonderful. they're particularly useful for the homebound, for those who aren't homebound but don't have reliable transportation, for those who work on sundays and have no available saturday evening services, for those who just have to indulge on their one morning off from work by sleeping late, etc.

i get far more fellowship online than i ever did in church. BUT... i do miss the small focus group bible studies where we could sit down and share chips, or a backyard bbq before studying the scriptures.

I began this thread because we have been "attending" a church for the past 2 weeks online. We have gone to 25 churches since leaving our old church over 3 years ago, and we are running out of energy looking for them.

So I thought since they have an online recording that we could just listen to it for a few weeks and get an idea as to if it would be the right church for us.

I thought maybe everyone would say the whole idea was strange, yet really I am getting the opposite reaction, except for missing out on BBQ and fellowship of course. :P

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

here's another scenario i hadn't thought of.... let's say you have a home church, but then you move to another city or state.... let's say your former home church had internet services, and you were very happy there. would you even consider looking for a new church home in your new location?

i probably wouldn't! especially if i still had contact with my church friends there!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

This is not fellowship. It does not create real relationships, and there is no real accountability. You want a relationship with God? It takes effort.

Guest LadyC

steve, i disagree. this IS fellowship. furthermore, fellowship with others, as i pointed out, is for OUR edification. it's not a prerequisite for a relationship with God. one can have a very strong, very healthy relationship with God without entering a brick and mortar church.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them."

I don't think I have ever had any real church fellowship. We have gone on church conventions, helped build church buildings, gone to social functions, done just about everything the church offered. It just always seemed so superficial, on the surface the conversation was always friendly banter, but when church was over everyone has their own lives.

So we might as well go to an Internet church. I have talked about more deep Christian things on this board than for years in our last church. How could you discuss anything in a church where questions were regarded with suspicion. They already had all the answers.

1- fellowship with others, as i pointed out, is for OUR edification. it's not a prerequisite for a relationship with God.

2-one can have a very strong, very healthy relationship with God without entering a brick and mortar church.

1- Um, I have never believed that it was.

2- Er, did I say something about bricks? :P A church consists of people, not a building.

Guest LadyC

perhaps i misunderstood what you were trying to say in your last post then... it's been known to happen!

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them.
"

I do not believe this Scripture is talking about gathering together to pray etc...but rather to make judgements concerning what is bound and what is loosed...but I understand the way in which it is wrongly used and it is true that the Lord is together with us when we gather...and even when we don't.

This is not fellowship. It does not create real relationships, and there is no real accountability. You want a relationship with God? It takes effort.

I think there are benefits from meeting people on the Web and even going to a Church on the Web...but I have to agree with Steve to some extent especially because it does not create flesh and blood relationships that we all need to have and mainly there is very little accountability.

Only two weeks ago our Pastor had to encourage people to come and meet together on a Sunday and not to be lazy and stay at home going to Church on the Web. I think it can especially erode the discipline and fellowship needed for the youth and for new Christians and can subtlely seduce people into a Christian Never Never Land..

I think it can come into its own with those that are disabled or house bound...but even then the local Church should be doing what they can to include these people in the life of the Body. It is a bit like having Church on TV...many people have been blessed over the years,and people have been healed and saved...but it should never be a substitute or an excuse not to attend a walking talking living Church where you can weep with those that weep and rejoice with those that rejoice.

Heb 10:25  Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Only two weeks ago our Pastor had to encourage people to come and meet together on a Sunday and not to be lazy and stay at home going to Church on the Web.

If this is a problem, then I suspect it's only a symptom of a larger trend of uncommitted-ness.

How is it that you admit new members? Do you not tell them what you expect of them up front, before they are admitted as members? I can't imagine doing it any other way.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

How is it that you admit new members? Do you not tell them what you expect of them up front, before they are admitted as members? I can't imagine doing it any other way.

There is no heavy shepherding at our Church...there are no lists of rules or pieces of paper to sign as far as I am aware...the criteria for joining the Church is that you are saved and love the L-rd and want to be with G-ds people. :)