• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

The question comes to mind from these posts. Are we our bodies or our minds? I know there is nothing like a big hug, but emoticons convey the same thought. Is it not really the thought that counts?

When you listen to a message at a brick and mortar church what do you do? You sit and stare at the pastor or take notes, while sometimes trying to ignore what is going on behind you, beside you, or in front of you.

Of course then there is the question of Sunday school that as adults with an adult son does not effect us

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Calamity
The question comes to mind from these posts. Are we our bodies or our minds? I know there is nothing like a big hug, but emoticons convey the same thought. Is it not really the thought that counts?

When you listen to a message at a brick and mortar church what do you do? You sit and stare at the pastor or take notes, while sometimes trying to ignore what is going on behind you, beside you, or in front of you.

Of course then there is the question of Sunday school that as adults with an adult son does not effect us

I think we're both - or all, body, mind (soul?) and spirit. I'd much prefer to find a church home than just visit aruond like we're doing now, but it hasn't happened yet. It's been almost if not, a year and a half since we left that last church. Still technically members (unless they've booted us), but haven't joined anywhere else.

I think fellowshipping on the internet boards is fine, but there's nothing quite like being in a good church, joining in, helping out, etc. The preaching is the part I like best, and is the part we are having the most problems with on the churches we've visited. You would not believe how many churches there are in this small town, and we haven't found one yet where we've felt led to join.

Last night, we went to eat at a little place here that is obviously ran by Christians. They had old time Christian songs playing in the background. Just hearing some of those songs made me have such a longing in my heart to find a church home. I can't explain it. The kind I grew up in, where people all treated each other with brotherly love, where the preacher preached and didn't throw in his opinion and stories all the time. Where they had their focus on Christ and not who wore what, who did what, who didn't do what, and who held what office, and who was "better" than who, and all that mess. It turns my stomach.

We used to go to baptisms in little lakes and ponds. It was an old fashioned church (guess I'm telling my age a little here). I was baptized inside, but they still had them outdoors also. All day long "singings" on certain Sundays. After the morning service, we'd set up tables outside, eat together, go back inside and have singing and sometimes testimony, the whole rest of the afternoon. It was great! Brush arbor revivals or "tent meetings", genuine concern for one another. I miss that so much. Those people were the same regardless of where you met them, or what day of the week it was. That's how I grew up, and I'm afraid those days are just about gone now. It's really sad.

There was a little man who we used to pick up and give a ride to church. He carried two old worn out table spoons in his pocket. He played them. Have you ever heard anyone play the spoons? I loved that man, even when I was a child and have often wondered what happened to him and where he went to after leaving there. A little sweet old lady played the piano. Her name was Mrs. Palmer. She finally had to stop, don't know if it was arthritis or what, then a man started playing it for us. He didn't know music, but played by ear, and it sounded beautiful to me. Nothing was set or scheduled. If someone felt led to sing a special song, they did. If the preacher planned on one sermon, and felt led to change it at the last second, he did. I just miss those days, and those churches so much that it hurts.

Guest Calamity

I better stop thinking back about all that, because now I feel like last night, like I need to cry. :laugh:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

:hug:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

In the early Church people who wanted to join were discipled for THREE YEARS before they allowed them to be baptized and receive communion!

From what I have seen of church history, this was a man-made requirement. In the Bible, the longest conversion account is three days (Paul). But surely, I can understand the wisdom of making them wait.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

...Errrr Steve...

We do instruct all Believers in the way of the L-rd and New Christians are well looked after and followed up immediately...

That's great. But if the "truancy" problem is such that the pastor found it necessary to work into his sermon, then maybe there's something lacking in their convictions and commitment. Maybe the instruction they received wasn't enough.

The question comes to mind from these posts.  Are we our bodies or our minds?  I know there is nothing like a big hug, but emoticons convey the same thought.  Is it not really the thought that counts? 

When you listen to a message at a brick and mortar church what do you do?  You sit and stare at the pastor or take notes, while sometimes trying to ignore what is going on behind you, beside you, or in front of you.

I think we're both - or all, body, mind (soul?) and spirit. I'd much prefer to find a church home than just visit aruond like we're doing now, but it hasn't happened yet. It's been almost if not, a year and a half since we left that last church. Still technically members (unless they've booted us), but haven't joined anywhere else.

I think fellowshipping on the internet boards is fine, but there's nothing quite like being in a good church, joining in, helping out, etc. The preaching is the part I like best, and is the part we are having the most problems with on the churches we've visited. You would not believe how many churches there are in this small town, and we haven't found one yet where we've felt led to join.

Last night, we went to eat at a little place here that is obviously ran by Christians. They had old time Christian songs playing in the background. Just hearing some of those songs made me have such a longing in my heart to find a church home. I can't explain it. The kind I grew up in, where people all treated each other with brotherly love, where the preacher preached and didn't throw in his opinion and stories all the time. Where they had their focus on Christ and not who wore what, who did what, who didn't do what, and who held what office, and who was "better" than who, and all that mess. It turns my stomach.

We used to go to baptisms in little lakes and ponds. It was an old fashioned church (guess I'm telling my age a little here). I was baptized inside, but they still had them outdoors also. All day long "singings" on certain Sundays. After the morning service, we'd set up tables outside, eat together, go back inside and have singing and sometimes testimony, the whole rest of the afternoon. It was great! Brush arbor revivals or "tent meetings", genuine concern for one another. I miss that so much. Those people were the same regardless of where you met them, or what day of the week it was. That's how I grew up, and I'm afraid those days are just about gone now. It's really sad.

There was a little man who we used to pick up and give a ride to church. He carried two old worn out table spoons in his pocket. He played them. Have you ever heard anyone play the spoons? I loved that man, even when I was a child and have often wondered what happened to him and where he went to after leaving there. A little sweet old lady played the piano. Her name was Mrs. Palmer. She finally had to stop, don't know if it was arthritis or what, then a man started playing it for us. He didn't know music, but played by ear, and it sounded beautiful to me. Nothing was set or scheduled. If someone felt led to sing a special song, they did. If the preacher planned on one sermon, and felt led to change it at the last second, he did. I just miss those days, and those churches so much that it hurts.

We've been looking for a church for 3 1/2 years, I know how you feel.

I knew a man who could play spoons, he went by the name Pop. Also played with a little dancing wooden puppet, I think he held it over a little wooden contraption between his legs.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

The church that we left would not allow a church web page. So they sure were not going to allow online church of any kind. They didn't want people really going on the Internet at all for any reason.

After we had been going there awhile they encouraged me to even leave a bible study at work. I look back on that bible study during lunch as one of the best times I ever had to fellowship with other believers. We would study, talk, and then sing a bunch of songs. It was really refreshing. In fact hearing them sing while walking by the door over a year period got me thinking about Christ again. I actual started going to the bible study before going to church. So Christians were having an effect on others at work.

I guess that is one thing about church, you need a place where the lost can go, they might not know anything about the Internet.