• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/03/1967

I recently hear some christians bashing, condeming whatever term you like some mainstream secualr books. namely Harry Potter and the Twilight series.

Now I haven't read the twilight series but I've heard other christians (my own daughter included) defend the book as being primarily about self control. My first question is then why should we as christians condem the book just because it contains a nonbiblical fairytail creature of darkness.

Second the Harry Potter series which i know is even more controversial due to the witchcraft. But its a book about good vs evil, its about love and friendship, on a deeper level there it deals with the duality of man the evil inside us. There are even some judeau (sp) christiqan symbology in the series. Couple that with the fact that its not a satanic view of witchcraft or even a wiccan/ nature worship view of witchcraft, Its more like the wizard of ozz than either of those. I ask why should i condem this book.

For those of you who will say that the forces of darkness use these things to forge a foothold in our mind and that is reason enough to ignore any good content. I say fine you may be right, but if thats your answer. Let me ask you about music do you listen to david Crowder, Licoln Brewster, Michael w smith, Stephen Curtis chapman. If so i can itroduce you to some people who will swear that you are under demonic influence because that music has electric guitar ,drums and sounds like rock and roll.

I guess my point to all this is where do you draw the line. how do you know something is eveil and not simply something you personally find distasteful.

Blessings

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

Guest HIS girl

Simply put - regardless of OTHERS - whether Christiasns or non Christians, let the Holy Spirit be your guide in ALL situations/circumstances.

If you struggle with the occult/heavy metal etc - whatever the case maybe- avoid it.

With regards to cultural issues - there are things that are culturally acceptable/unacceptable although confined to certain cultures only. Things like voodoo, although practised in some cultures are still frowned upon within the culture because it involves the drinking of blood (amongst other acts) which has it's roots in the occult. We as Christians do not need to be told that the occult is satanic. Some of these books touch on occultic themes -

However in Africa, the Maasai tribe drink blood mixed with milk- as far as I know - it is not for any satanic purpose...but the origins of the practise, I am uncertain - it may very well have stemmed from some kind of worship perhaps...not sure.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/03/1967

Simply put - regardless of OTHERS - whether Christiasns or non Christians, let the Holy Spirit be your guide in ALL situations/circumstances.

If you struggle with the occult/heavy metal etc - whatever the case maybe- avoid it.

i like this answer you put it in a way i hadn't quite thought through

[your spiritual strength is not focused upon and coming from Christ, there is only one other place it can be coming from./quote]

this is the specific attitude i am questioning with this post so your position is that every secualr book, movies, piece of music , or tv show, ever created is satanic in nature ?

Guest HIS girl

You know we are in a very occultic society (the West), whether we are conscious of it or not - we have horoscopes in the daily newspaper, forms of relaxation and meditation (which empties the mind), contacting dead relatives through "safe" commercial mediums, healing through crystals and ancient Egyptian symbols (pyramid shaped objects)..kids using the ouija board at parties..occultic themed tv shows...the list goes on and on....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I recently hear some christians bashing, condeming whatever term you like some mainstream secualr books. namely Harry Potter and the Twilight series.

Now I haven't read the twilight series but I've heard other christians (my own daughter included) defend the book as being primarily about self control. My first question is then why should we as christians condem the book just because it contains a nonbiblical fairytail creature of darkness.

Second the Harry Potter series which i know is even more controversial due to the witchcraft. But its a book about good vs evil, its about love and friendship, on a deeper level there it deals with the duality of man the evil inside us. There are even some judeau (sp) christiqan symbology in the series. Couple that with the fact that its not a satanic view of witchcraft or even a wiccan/ nature worship view of witchcraft, Its more like the wizard of ozz than either of those. I ask why should i condem this book.

For those of you who will say that the forces of darkness use these things to forge a foothold in our mind and that is reason enough to ignore any good content. I say fine you may be right, but if thats your answer. Let me ask you about music do you listen to david Crowder, Licoln Brewster, Michael w smith, Stephen Curtis chapman. If so i can itroduce you to some people who will swear that you are under demonic influence because that music has electric guitar ,drums and sounds like rock and roll.

I guess my point to all this is where do you draw the line. how do you know something is eveil and not simply something you personally find distasteful.

Blessings

In many ways they seem to be books with clear Christian messages, don't they? Many Christians get wildly upset of tiny things, because they are silly people.............

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Does it Glorify God.

Does it teach how to press on and learn more and more about our Lord's Awesome and Total Sovereignty.

Is it a distraction? A lure to ask questions about things we are cautioned against? A doubt caster?

If I find something distasteful, I'm certain our Savior would find it offensive, likewise, things in the past I considered acceptable, my Savior has shown me to be offensive, a lure and an open door that invites sin to take a seat.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

Bryan, its been my experience that when you do anything (listen to music, talk, watch tv, movies, etc) and you have to ask or question if its ok, then the answer is NO.

Anything we have to "justify" in our minds is most likely something we should not be doing. That's the Holy Spirit pricking you, when you question.

If it is something that does not line up with God's Word and instructions, then leave it alone.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Blessings

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Blessings