• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/23/1965

The Jewish holiday (Feast) of Purim is upon us. So I was wondering if anyone was celebrating this holiday. For those of you who don't know this holiday come from the book of Esther. It is the celebration of the Jewish people for deliverance from their enemies. Purim is celebrate on the day after the great battle (within the Persian Empire) in the Book of Esther, which is on the 14th of Adar (Jewish Calenedar--on our calendar it begins sunset 9 March).

So I know we are not bound to any holy day (Colossians 2:14-16), but I was curious was anyone celebrating this holiday? I really think it would be great if we as Christians honor our Jewish roots a little more! I have an interest in this holiday and was wondering if anyone might know if there is any symbol of Jesus our Lord in this holiday?

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope." (Romans 15:4)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

Purim was a festival ordained by the Jews. It was man made as opposed to the feasts in Leviticus 23 which are divinely ordained. Jesus observed all sever on those celebrations and was crucified on one of them.(Passover). Each of the festivals can be linked to "harvest". The implications of those fesitvals ordained by God go far beyond the realm of agriculture. They lay before us the seven crucial steps in God's plan to harvest - to gather - humans (his creations) into His everlasting family.

Jesus is seen through out those plans.

I don't see a link to Christ in the man-made festival of Purim.

When we Christians distanced ourselves from our Jewish roots which God established, we lost a lot of the understanding of the importance and signifigance of the meanings of celebrations. We also lost the ability to understand what would seem to us a small thing but in the Kingdom of God is of great importance. The Jews understood.

.... if there is any symbol of Jesus our Lord in this holiday?

Oh My! Yes!

>>>>>()<<<<<

Wanna Bet!

What A Man Intended For Evil

"Because Haman the son of Hammedatha, the Agagite, the enemy of all the Jews, had devised against the Jews to destroy them, and had cast Pur, that is, the lot, to consume them, and to destroy them;

Esther 9:24

The LORD Intends For Good

But when Esther came before the king, he commanded by letters that his wicked device, which he devised against the Jews, should return upon his own head, and that he and his sons should be hanged on the gallows."

Esther 9:25

God Wins!

What Men Intended For Evil

"Thou shalt ascend and come like a storm, thou shalt be like a cloud to cover the land, thou, and all thy bands, and many people with thee.

Thus saith the Lord GOD; It shall also come to pass, that at the same time shall things come into thy mind, and thou shalt think an evil thought:

And thou shalt say, I will go up to the land of unwalled villages; I will go to them that are at rest, that dwell safely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates,

To take a spoil, and to take a prey; to turn thine hand upon the desolate places that are now inhabited, and upon the people that are gathered out of the nations, which have gotten cattle and goods, that dwell in the midst of the land."

Ezekiel 38:10-12

The LORD Intends For Good

"Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say unto Gog, Thus saith the Lord GOD; In that day when my people of Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it?

And thou shalt come from thy place out of the north parts, thou, and many people with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company, and a mighty army:

And thou shalt come up against my people of Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the latter days, and I will bring thee against my land, that the heathen may know me, when I shall be sanctified in thee, O Gog, before their eyes.

Thus saith the Lord GOD; Art thou he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel, which prophesied in those days many years that I would bring thee against them?

And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, that my fury shall come up in my face.

For in my jealousy and in the fire of my wrath have I spoken, Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel;

So that the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the field, and all creeping things that creep upon the earth, and all the men that are upon the face of the earth, shall shake at my presence, and the mountains shall be thrown down, and the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground.

And I will call for a sword against him throughout all my mountains, saith the Lord GOD: every man's sword shall be against his brother.

And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many people that are with him, an overflowing rain, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.

Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the LORD."

Ezekiel 38:14-23

Hallelujah!

Praise His Holy Name!

Praise The God Of Abraham, Issac And Jacob!

Maranatha!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/23/1965

Thank You glorywatch I can see why you honor the Feast in Leviticus 23. And I definitely agree with you about our Christian-Jewish roots. But don't understand how Purim is manmade if it in the Bible (II Timothy 3:15-17) Yes the Scriptures say the Jews made it a day(s) of Feasting (Esther 9:17-19) but I see it as Godmade because its in the Word.

Really like your point Fresno Joe, it is a very obvious one that I missed. "But as for you, ye thought evil against me: but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive." (Genesis 50:20) But is there a connection you are making with Jesus in this point, if so I'm missing it? Great Answer though, reminds me a little of Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose."

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Not I, but I think if someone wants to that is fine

• Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

The Jewish holiday (Feast) of Purim is upon us. So I was wondering if anyone was celebrating this holiday. For those of you who don't know this holiday come from the book of Esther. It is the celebration of the Jewish people for deliverance from their enemies. Purim is celebrate on the day after the great battle (within the Persian Empire) in the Book of Esther, which is on the 14th of Adar (Jewish Calenedar--on our calendar it begins sunset 9 March).

So I know we are not bound to any holy day (Colossians 2:14-16), but I was curious was anyone celebrating this holiday? I really think it would be great if we as Christians honor our Jewish roots a little more! I have an interest in this holiday and was wondering if anyone might know if there is any symbol of Jesus our Lord in this holiday?

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope." (Romans 15:4)

This is the first time that I've heard of it, but it sounds like a good holiday to celebrate!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

Thank You glorywatch I can see why you honor the Feast in Leviticus 23. And I definitely agree with you about our Christian-Jewish roots. But don't understand how Purim is manmade if it in the Bible

Paul I was going by what verse 27 in Esther 9 says: "the Jews took it upon theselves to establish the custom that they and their descendants and all who join them should without fail observe these two days every year, in the way prescribed and at the time appointed."

Mordecai had written to the Jews instructing them that they should continue this feast/festival (Purim)described in previous verses in chapter 9. If you look in Leviticus 23 you will see the festivals that God ordered and Purim is not in them.

I am not saying that it should not be observed or that there is anything wrong with it. Just giving some of the historical background about it.

I am glad to see someone that thinks the festivals should be observed!