Jobseeker seeking advice

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I really would appreciate some advice. I am torn about a job decision. I can't decide, and it is just about to make me sick. :blink:

First of all, I can't hear God's "still small voice" like some people can, so I don't know God's will. Maybe I haven't gotten far enuf in my Christian walk, but I very much want to do God's will. How can I know His will ?

Here's my situation. I lost my job (more on that in a minute) about 3 weeks ago. Last week, I started checking out a job. I was offered a job in a town about an hour from where we currently live. It is Monday thru Friday working days & I would take call some nights & weekends. I would have to be within 20 minutes of the business, so I would have to move to this town. My wife had a breakdown 5 years or so ago, and she is not sure she wants to move. She has been stable here and I think is afraid to move. I think I would really like this job and it would be normal hours and allow me more weekends off to go to church. Also, the health insurance is not that great (and my son has Chrohn's disease). Our current home is a mobile home on 4 acres so we wouldn't really have a house to sell & would probably keep the land. And maybe my wife and son could move when my wife is better (she has slowly been getting better each year/month). God is healing her.

I checked out another job today. The other job is in the town where we currently live. I would need to work evenings (2nd shift) at the hospital and every other weekend. The insurance is good. The job might be more stressful and I am not crazy about working every other weekend. We would not have to move. This job may be dependent on one of the employees moving to days after her maternity leave. So this is likely, but not a sure thing.

So what do i do and how do I know God's will ? I started at a hospital in September. It was pretty stressful and I was ready to quit by November. The day I was planning on turning in my resignation, I heard some on the Christian radio that said something like "Sometimes we get stressed at work, sometimes we have to deal with difficult people, but we should sometimes just stick things out". I questioned whether God was trying to "talk" to me. Then the next day, I heard on the radio something like "Sometimes God speaks to us in different ways ... this way, that way, radio, television, etc." So I was convicted that it was God's will that I stay there. But then the hospital changed owners and I lost my job 3 weeks ago. So I don't understand.

I was thinking seriously about taking the first job I described above. But then I heard something on the radio like "Sometimes we should wait for God's will & not be in a rush. It said something about Moses hitting the rock with the staff. It said that Abraham would have been better off if he had trusted God more when God promised a seed. He should have waited for God to give Sarah a child & he should not have gone into Hagar to have Ishmael. " So now I am thinking maybe I should wait for the second job (or maybe God has a different job in mind). But the first job (which i like) is giving me a deadline. :o

I want to do God's will, get a low stress job, spend more time with family, work day shift & have more weekends off for church. But none of this will matter if i am not doing God's will. Does God want us to stay in this town for some reason? We have had enuf problems in our lives, so I don't want to get out of God's will. I guess that is a fear of mine. So what do I do ? Should I just pick a job and hope for the best? Am I making this too complicated? :)

I would very much appreciate any advice, prayer, or a "word" from God. I feel like I will have problems and regrets no matter what decision I make. Thank you. :24:

James

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Wow - you have a lot to think about James. If you were stressed at the hospital - do you really want to go into a similar situation? I know insurance for your wife and son are a major consideration though... Crohn's disease is difficult to manage and health insurance is almost a most. I know you don't want to "upset the apple cart" with your wife, but maybe, just maybe a move would be good for her - could she be too isolated? You are praying about the situation and seeking God's Will for your family - I am sure He will guide you. In the meantime - it's helped me before - to get a piece of paper out and write down the Pros & Cons and talk to The Lord about it. God Bless you all!!!

Praying!

>>>>>()<<<<<

.... She has been stable here and I think is afraid to move....

No "I" About It

"Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them." Colossians 3:19

Take Care Of Her

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;" Ephesians 5:25

And Pursue Her With Great Joy

"Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth." Proverbs 5:18

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  871
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

:noidea:

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  333
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Biscuit,

Only God knows which job you should pursue . . . or perhaps there's another one which He is readying for you.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Pro. 3:5-6

Acknowledge Him and your need for His input . . . He knows both of these job situations inside and out. I encourage you not to make any decision based on fear but on His leading. Whether it be a "still, small voice" or just an impression in your spirit, He'll lead you because He promised to do so in the verse above. Blessings.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/23/1965

Biscuit this only my opinion, but I don't think you are in one of those "still small voice" moments.

I believe what you really need to do is ask God for wisdom in this situation "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God , that giveth to all men liberally and upbraidedeth not: and it shall be given him." (James 1:5) If I were in your situation I would ask God to give me two or three witnesses, and also ask God to put major roadblocks in any direction He did not want me to go. Remind the Father that you are commanded to take care of your family (I Timothy 5:8) and you are earnestly seeking His wisdom for what is best for your entire family.

I will be praying for an answer to your situation and the best plans God has for you. Maybe giving thanks to God will help also, just listening to your problems it would definitely be difficult, but God does inhabit the praise of His people (Psalm 22:3).

Wish I had better directions for you, but may God richly bless you and your family.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Edited by petrospetra

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  326

*praying

I know you've gotten heaps of advice here, but if I could just add another couple of bits -

Hearing Gods voice clearly takes time, and is a journey. That doesn't mean God can't speak to us when he really wants us to hear something (he isn't that limited.) But as we draw closer to God and remove more and more obstacles between him and us from our lives - it gets easier.

A really good piece of advice that I remember hearing given to a friend many years ago when she was really struggling to know Gods will for her life, was 'step out' and God will direct your steps. He can't do it if you're standing still.

In otherwords do your best according to what's in front of you, and God will direct you as you go.

In my own experience, I've found that if I just stepped out - God would show me if I was wandering off the path or making mistakes. If we only ever moved as God spoke clearly - we wouldn't have to walk by faith, because all we'd have to do is listen and obey. Faith is trusting. Trusting that God is faithful, will guide and protect us, teach us and correct us as it's needed.

The bible also tells us that 'in a multitude of counsellors, there is wisdom.'

Prov 16:9 In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Prov 20:24 A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way?

We can stumble on any journey, but God is always there to pick us up and brush us off - and he can fix any mistakes we make, ultimatly. He isn't limited by our humanity. What he wants is a willing heart.

As long as your heart's good and you're doing the best you can - you're smokin :laugh: It's a journey.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  326

PS. If it's any consolation. The bible indicates that Jesus spent a lot of time in prayer. He would't have done it if he didn't need to. Learning to hear Gods voice also means spending time with him. Jesus only 'did what he saw the father doing' but he kept the contact lines open by spending time with God, so he could.

He lived as a man, even though he was God himself - and did his miracles through the power of the holy spirit, the same as we're called to. We couldn't be followers of christ if it was impossible.

Jesus was still a man, and limited in many ways because of it - which is why and how we're called to follow him and his example.