• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  746
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/30/1988

I practice Hakko Ryu Jujutsu. I am a brown belt. The biggest plus of my class is that my sensei is a Christian, and doesn't bring in any of the eastern false religious junk. Yes, we bow to the sensei at the beginning of class, but as the other person said, it is a sign of respect, and what we say in Japanese means 'please teach me.' We also have begun bowing to Jesus first, which I like alot. I may be biased, but our art brings together the best of all the others, and is the finest of them all.

One aspect of Hakko Ryu is that we learn Shiatsu. I'm sure some have heard of it. It is much like acupuncture in principle, but instead of needles, the fingers are used to perform healing using the lines in the body.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

why not go out for Ballet? same moves, same jumps, no contact, no eastern religious stuff involved.

mike

Its the combat tactics I wanted to learn

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

why not go out for Ballet? same moves, same jumps, no contact, no eastern religious stuff involved.

mike

I suppose the killer might laugh himself to death when you do ballet instead of self-defense. I will not wear the outfit though, so would be less effective of making the guy laugh to death.

I would rather deliver a significant blow to disable the person to save my life and family's life than do a dance for a killer.

People take swimming lessons with little water around to drown in, yet people are assaulted regularly in every city in the world. Which is a wiser investment over a life time?

You know some football players take ballet lol..... if I knew Judo, might take a little ballet on the side, so at least it would look beautiful as I gracefully float in the air like a falcon and swiftly decent in a painful blow. LOL, I kid, I kid!!

I'm not really learning because I'm scared someone will attack me, but I've always wanted to practice it as a kid and never had the chance because of money.. now I remembered, that I can because I'm and adult and can find work! Ta-da! Don't you just love it when things work like that?? LOL :emot-highfive:

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

being aware of ones surroundings can prevent an altercation, using some common sense can also do the same thing. exercise in another area can also prevent altercations.....

while in San Diego, I spent time walking through out the town (city) from down town, to Balboa park to the Navy bases, to the stadium. used the bus some times, and the rail system very little. I would walk, all times of day or night. never had an incident, even walking into Mexico, never harassed or accosted. example, one night walking back to NTC from Balboa park I notice a group of guys a couple blocks up the road, heading my way, so when I got to the corner, I made it look as though I headed down the side street, but in all actuallity I just crossed the road and watched them and when they took off down the side street where they were at, heading the direction I appeared to be going, I continued on my way, when I got to the next corner, I could hear them running and calling out.

of course, my legs have been my greatest weapon against my foe....... it is called......... (this defense is very effective, a really old form of defense, in fact, one that is much older then any of the martial arts, it comes with many names, but the most familiar name is RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

being able to move at a rate of about 4.25 miles an hour in time of need for at least 5 miles, there is not too many that can keep up...... really great when avoiding confrontations..... hehehehehehe

no special equipment needed, no major cost,

oh yeah, the reason i spent so much time at Balboa park was for the folk dancing, great for kicks (like in High Kicking as in doing some of the eastern dances spins and twists, jumps.... even break dancing...... plenty of gymnastics involved in folk dancing.....

in my life of 50 years, i have been in a total of 4 fights, and I am not proud of that, I could have even avoided them. for even thou I came out on top of each, we both lost. well, one him and me became friends after.

well, time for work.....

mike

Hahahaha Mike.. thats great and real funny. Sounds like your a good runner! I can run about the same distance and speed as well.. :cool: Its true that it is our greatest weapon of self-defence. Even martial artists who practice for knife combat are told by their teachers that they will probably be cut and the best thing to do is run away. :)

I like how you mentioned gymnastics though.. I haven't done that in years. I think maybe I should look for those classes.. it would be fun!

too many people have held movies and tv shows too high as far as the martial arts.....

I like the indiana jones one where he is facing a guy with the swords, swinging them around and around, and almost no way of getting to the guy, and then indiana jones pulls out a gun...... yep, lets see the sword stop the slug....

I had a friend in H/S that was really into the arts (7th degree) national meets. was really a cool guy, didnt like fighting, just like the competition. did very well..... one day, not too long after a meet that he placed high in, he was driving down the street and heard a noise and as he turned his head and ducked the glass in his car started exploding (gun shots). he survived with out any further incident, other then having to replace all the glass in his 55 chevy, patch holes in the metal and repair some upholstery.

have you ever noticed that chuck norris (walker) never dies? even when shot? how many of the other bad guys are highly skilled and a single bullet takes them down instantly???

oh yeah, really funny thing, do not use that show for teaching some one to do CPR, they are all hosed up with their methods.. for that matter, dont know if I would use that show for teaching anything to anyone.....lol

by the way, I am not against the arts, not in the least, just do not like the appearance of giving honor to any other then God. even during pope john pauls funeral, my heart sank when the people started praising him, raising him up as if he was a god.

The One True and Only God is the only one worthy of the Glory, the Honor, the Praise, the worship.

mike

Amen bro... I agree.

As for Hollywood.. that's Hollywood for ya! They try to make things entertaining.. yet whats funny is some Chinese really believe those things are achievable. Unless a person was demon possessed. I don't see how someone could catch a bullet with their teeth and all that junk.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

here is a cool video.... use to be called Godtube ... http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?viewk...db255f6dee6ff9d

mike

I fixed your link. Beautiful, magnificent, full of grace, balance, strength and endurance! Oh yeah ... Ouch!