• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

My grandfather is a Gideon, and recently gave me a Gideon pocket New Testament. In the front, they have some prose about what the Bible is.

For those that don't know what the Gideons are, this is their own description:

"The Gideons International is an Association of Christian business and professional men, banded together in more than 175 countries for fellowship and service. The purpose of the Association is the promotion of the Gospel of Christ to all people, to the end that they might come to know the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour.

With the help of Christian friends of many different churches, Gideons have been able to place and distribute over 1.2 billion Bibles and New Testaments to hotels, motels, hospitals, penal institutions, members of the armed forces, school students and those in the public nursing field.

We are pleased to present you with this copy of God's precious Word and trust that you will enjoy reading it daily."

Anyways, the preface in the front pages is this- I found it to be very beautiful.

"The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter. Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good the design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure. It is give you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, will reward the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents."

Amen!

The BIBLE contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy.

It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter.

Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed

Christ is its subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet.

Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.

It is given to you in life, will be open in The Judgement, and be remembered forever.

It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and condemns all who trifle with its holy precepts.

From the front of my Gideon BIBLE

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Wow. I wondered what the gideons bible was. I always thought it was just another translation :noidea: Right under my nose. How about that!

Thanks for sharing.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Gideons is a wonderful ministry.