• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

:emot-pray: So last night I went to bible study. We have been doing a study on what would you change in your life if you only had 30 days to live. The first question that was asked was: " Share with the group one interesting fact about you that nobody else knows." I thought the question was more geared to getting to know each other better. So I say " I have lived in 7 different western states." Well apparently the question was more geared towards a secret that we need to confess. Several people confessed things and we prayed for them. Well I was embarassed and feel like a fool. Several times I have been in bible study and my answers to the questions have been gently ridiculed. I do not think that anyone takes me seriously. Like I could never amount to anything in my Christian walk. I know that the Lord loves me and maybe he is chastising me as well. I feel like I should stop going to bible study and stay home and go over the studies that I have all ready gone to so I can be stronger in my walk. I really just want to be a loving example of Christ to the world. I was thinking of using the time that I would normally be in bible study to do a friendly visitor program at a nursing home instead. I am a little bit sad and confused today. I don't know why I often come out looking like a fool.

I really hate this passive aggressive hostility you speak of. Some Christians just don't get it. Offense is a weapon of the Enemy... but they go on a recklessly offend so many people simply because Jesus offended one woman and countless Pharisees so they feel they can do that too. As if they were Jesus! How ridiculous!

Jesus knew how to control himself. We do not. If someone doesn't have something good to say they should keep quiet. I feel really bad and embarrassed that people treated you this way. That was an honest mistake everyone could have made. How shameful of them.. I'm not saying this to up your pride either.. but just a call to this stupidity that I see so much going around. Especially here on worthy.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

:noidea: So last night I went to bible study. We have been doing a study on what would you change in your life if you only had 30 days to live. The first question that was asked was: " Share with the group one interesting fact about you that nobody else knows." I thought the question was more geared to getting to know each other better. So I say " I have lived in 7 different western states." Well apparently the question was more geared towards a secret that we need to confess. Several people confessed things and we prayed for them. Well I was embarassed and feel like a fool. Several times I have been in bible study and my answers to the questions have been gently ridiculed. I do not think that anyone takes me seriously. Like I could never amount to anything in my Christian walk. I know that the Lord loves me and maybe he is chastising me as well. I feel like I should stop going to bible study and stay home and go over the studies that I have all ready gone to so I can be stronger in my walk. I really just want to be a loving example of Christ to the world. I was thinking of using the time that I would normally be in bible study to do a friendly visitor program at a nursing home instead. I am a little bit sad and confused today. I don't know why I often come out looking like a fool.

It sounds to me like they were being patronising. But part of that I think is being a rookie in a group of people who know more. Christians are still people. The only perfect human being was Jesus Christ.

Christians arn't perfect and expecting them to be, is like thinking it's ok for non-christians to expect us to be. It's just not going to happen. So going into a group of christians and feeling slighted or hurt, is pretty normal really. Won't happen all the time. But while we're human, we have to deal with other humans. Even though all of us are following christ.

If you think that you're going to continue feeling slighted and snubbed by this group, perhaps you should look at another avenue. But then don't forget that the devil is our enemy too, and wants us away from a good thing. Pray about it :th_praying:

People get saved from all walks of life. And christianity is a journey out of our particular niche in society and culture and into his image. But that's a journey. And some people start a lot further down the ladder in certain areas then others. That doesn't mean they arn't loved by God and called. Just that the starting points are different. Whether it's pride and shallowness that's the stronghold or anger and fear. It doesn't matter. We're all his children.

Some groups of christians can be a bit (or lot) shallow and snarky. But that's because they come from those backgrounds. Others can have addiction issues. Others can be intellectual and lovers of argument or money. We all have our sins to work through, but I think sometimes that it can be helpful hanging around other christians that have similar backgrounds and issues so we end working roughly through the same areas together. Not always, but it can be helpful. So being in a church you're comfortable in and where you feel accepted can make a real difference. But God does use our collective humanity to sand our corners off. :noidea: Had mine stomped on enough times, don't worry.

If your group is a bit shallow, then it might be time to look for another one. But yeah, don't reject christianity because of sin :( . God isn't sinful. Only we are.

Sorry they made you feel bad. :heart: Just picture jesus sitting behind you with his arms around you when it happens next. (In fact even ask him to do that before you go into the room - and that way you'll know he's there with you.)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I thought the question was more geared to getting to know each other better.

Hi Grace,

I think the only way to rightly judge the situation is to understand the context. How strongly was the lesson trying to get at some hidden spiritual thing? What was the mind of the group at that point? What is the history of the group's practice and integrity in terms of sharing private things? How long have you been a member? And most importantly, how were you being led by the Spirit in this specific matter?

Trust is earned, and generally I have no problem with giving answers that do not reveal vulnerabilities to people who have not yet proven themselves. But OTOH, nothing ventured, nothing gained. With the right people we can grow a lot by opening up a bit, but there must be no coercion about it; it must be the Lord's timing and setting.

I hope you don't beat yourself up about this. Better to make it a subject of prayer for discernment about what really happened, and how you can advance wisely through it.

Comfort and blessings,

p.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  04/05/1959

Although I totally understand what you are saying and believe that in part it is true (no one told me I was foolish.) What I was told was that I answered the question incorrectly. The exact words were "That is not what they are asking for. It has to be something that is a secret, something that nobody knows." So my answer in the light of this statement does in fact look foolish.

hi Gift (please remember that is what you are: a precious Gift to the Father from Jesus!)

"foolish" is a rather subjective word, don't you think? it may have seemed foolish to them (and you), but i don't think it was. did anyone in your group know you had lived in 7 different western states? i'm guessing not, so it was something nobody else there knew. did the question say a "secret" thing? no. so why would you think it had to be? i wouldn't have.

and "gently ridiculed" is rather like an oxymoron, methinks. ridicule and gentlness come from opposite ends of the spectrum!

the many times i've been in a situation like this, i try to imagine Jesus sitting there, and i think of how He would have responded. it tends to help me. so if i may... i'd like to visualize for you what might have happened had He physically been sitting in your group.

when you answer the question, Jesus says something like, "wow! you've lived in a lot of places. you've probably seen some wonderful things." then He asks some questions about it and draws from you the real question He wants answered. like, "is there anything that has happened that you longed to tell someone, but never felt safe enough to do so?"

we don't share deep things, Gift of Grace, until we feel safe. so maybe, instead of a "foolish" answer, you gave a very wise one! i agree that talking to your Bible study leader would be a good start. but please don't run away! i'm thinking that that doesn't solve too many of our problems. running, or quitting, is sometimes the easy way out short term, but it's not worth it in the long run. *tiny pun*

i like your heart and your goals!

char

:emot-highfive:

Thanks Char,

I know that Jesus was there but it would have been great for Him to be sitting in that room. I will try to think what he would say the next time I am in a similar situation.

First I want to say I love the name... Gift of Grace. Beautiful. Second I agree completely with Charitow. Third Jesus was sitting there in that room. Just couldn't see Him. Let not your heart be troubled by this dear sister. The Lord knew where you were coming from. I believe you did the right smart thing. I feel if you have something private that no one knows then it is up to you when you want to share it and where and with who. Take heart ppl are praying for you even now. Many blessings upon you. :dance::dance:

In His Loving Hands,

Sister in Christ

LIVN4JC

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/23/1965

Hello Gift of Grace,

I would said by no means do not quit going to Bible Studies. From what many people have told me I'm a walking Bible, but I really love it when I heard a new believer who teaches me a lessson and believe me I learn quite a bit from new believers. One thing newer members usually can teach us older believer in Christ is Childlike faith.

As to being gently ridicule maybe the Holy Spirit is using you to speak to someone there with a certain problem that no one knows about but you have helped with your remarks. Sometimes we as Christians don't always share our problems with others. I know many times I been at a Bible study and someone says something that doesn't make sense in the study, but than when I think about it, it like a light bulb goes on and the Holy Spirit reveals a new truth on how to deal with a certain problem, in my life because of their remark. "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold n pictures of silver." (Proverbs 25:11) If this is the case for you think of all though apples you would be robbing someone of.

I would also say to ask God the Father for wisdom. "If any of you lack wisdom, let ask of God, that giveth to all men liberality and upbraideth not and it shall be given him." (James 1:5)

Paul the Apostle had this to say of his life: "For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a SPECTUACLE unto the world and to angels, and to men." (I Corinthians 4:9) Many Christians believe Paul was the greatest theologian of all time. Yet this great learned man felt the same way you do. When I first came to Christ I was ridicule many times, but within a year or two of becoming a believer, because I had studied the Word of God and gone to Bible Studies, those same people begin to ask my advice. I remember being laughed at, a couple of months after accepting Jesus when the question was asked to name the Book of the Bible name after a woman? I answer what I thought was a woman name Jude, of course he wasn't a woman.

Believe me Gift of Grace I admire you for your child like faith (Matthew 18:1-6), and those at the Bible Study need to see that, especially those older ones in Christ. And don't be afraid to ask question if you don't understand. The Holy Ghost will teach you (John 14:26). If they ridicule you ask if they think this is something Christ would do: "For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21 see also Galatians 2:20)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Well I think you all will be glad to know that I went back to bible study last night. I went with the idea that I would not answer any questions but I would listen and learn. Well that did not happen either. I knew the answer to the first question and since no one else seemed to I spoke up. I answered the another question as well. I will continue to go to bible study. I might say something foolish again but I know that is ok. It might be for my own growth or someone elses. It's all in Jesus' plan.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

Praise God!!!! Definately the right choice to keep going.

And isn't it amazing how God always changes OUR plans for HIS :blink: