• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

The only difference it will make is job losses when employers can't afford it. It never ceases to amaze me how libs can't see that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

They will have to hire people and pay them a decent and competitive wage ... they will still make money. It is nuts to think that people with families can live on $7.25 an hour. Now.... would employers rather pay more money into Unemployment benefits and the welfare system or pay a better wage? Libs have nothing to do with my thoughts on this... I'm looking at people who are trying to live with no health benefits and making $7.25/hr (usually working 2 jobs like this) to make it through the month.

Guest LadyC

see i'm all in favor of higher minimum wages. katyann, you made a valid point, but i'm gonna add a little to it...

when people are paid a better wage, the majority of them will feel better about their job and increase their productivity. as a result, they are more efficient employees, and that saves their boss money. however much more the boss is paying is offset by the revenue that is generated by that efficiency.

Guest Butero
The only difference it will make is job losses when employers can't afford it. It never ceases to amaze me how libs can't see that.

If you do a little research you will see that everytime the minimum wage has been raised..within a year.. the employment rate has gone up.

Why? Easy answer....people have more money to spend so the economy is stimulated.

I don't believe this is true. I would like to see some data to prove this. While people may have more money to spend, the employers are faced with either raising prices meaning the extra money doesn't go as far, or they have to cut expenses, meaning layoffs. I would need some concrete evidence to accept this as being legitimate. In addition, I would also like to see the data on how many years went by where the minimum wage was not raised and the employment rate increased, as well as by how much?

In my area, we had a large number of sewing plants go under, and it is my opininon that many of them would still be here if the minimum wage wasn't in effect. I think that all minimum wage laws should be repealed.

Guest Butero
They will have to hire people and pay them a decent and competitive wage ... they will still make money. It is nuts to think that people with families can live on $7.25 an hour. Now.... would employers rather pay more money into Unemployment benefits and the welfare system or pay a better wage? Libs have nothing to do with my thoughts on this... I'm looking at people who are trying to live with no health benefits and making $7.25/hr (usually working 2 jobs like this) to make it through the month.

Few can make it on $10 per hour, so why stop at this? Why not require all employers to pay a "living wage" of $50,000 annually? If the concept of a minimum wage helps where it is, why not raise it to a wage people can live on? The answers are obvious to anyone that gives any thought to it, but the same problems are already occuring on a smaller level.

Guest Butero

Let's get back to the credit card issue. I do believe the government has a role to play in fraud prevention, so I am all for common sense laws to protect consumers from misleading advertisements. I am not sure if I am for or against the bill Obama is supporting because I don't know how far it goes? If it simply requires credit card issuers to be upfront about rates, I am all for it. If it prevents credit card companies from suckering people in with very low rates, only to raise them to absurd levels 6 months later without giving them clear information about their intentions, I am for that as well.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I do not mean to be ugly either, I am just very passionate about this... - I'm just seeing a lot of people who have 4 different incomes (all min. wage) and have a couple or 3 kids and they are really, really struggling. They do not qualify for assistance because they are making too much - Axx. I've helped them check on it ... they actually told one family that they could qualify for $12.00 a month in food stamps..... :hmmm: No health insurance (actually one family was buying their own and had to stop because it was over $600 a month and they just couldn't pay rent, etc. and pay for insurance. They rely on 'free' clinics that are offered in the community and just try to stay well. This was the couple that had the ill child and medicine and between the trip to the ER and the medicine - $2,330 ... on the credit card. I don't know what minimums you have paid on the past on your credit cards - but I saw these people paying $147 a month on about $4,500 balance.... They got food from the food pantry and we were able to help with a heating bill. I remember that Clinton bragged he created 6 million jobs and I think he may have because I had 3 of them at once :emot-sleepyhead: It was a struggle raising my children on my own. I feel for these people, because I've been in need and made "too much money". Oddly, enough - not enough to live with enough food or other little things like asthma inhalers, etc. There have been times when I fed my kids and I "dieted" or at least told them that's what I was doing... I've played utility bill lotto, too.... some months the electric company got paid and sometimes the gas company.... you get the picture. :emot-shakehead: Despite your beliefs - I do believe that the people I'm talking about little choice beyond what they are doing. I am sorry we do not agree. I'm sure you are probably a nice man.

Again...what business do people in these dire positions have borrowing money that THEY KNOW they will struggle to pay back? I mean, were not even talking about responsible credit card users now...were talking about people that really can't afford more debt, taking money that they may not be able to pay back. The entire convo has shifted. Its one thing for CC companies to raise the interest rates on a customer for a mistake or bad financial month...but you are talking about people that should NEVER have a CC in the first place because they really can't afford to pay it back.

I can't imagine a family that qualifies for food stamps (even only $12 worth) running up a $4500 debt on a CC. That almost seems like theft to me. And the $147 a month...whats that? It'll take 20 years to pay off that credit card at that rate. Of course the CC company is going to raise the interest rate...they figure you are NEVER going to pay it off at that rate. They raise the interest rate as a hedge against a default.

In the past I went through all the same things you describe...I remember it well and it was not fun at all. I don't mean to make light of it either. I think just about the only concession I could make in reading the examples you have provided is that assuming that a family in need (and out of desperation) needed to use a credit card for some reason...then I suppose I can at least grant them the dignity of making those decisions for themselves in attempting to provide for their families. The caveat, however, is that if a family does use a credit card for those situations I don't believe they should complain too much about how the company that has given them that option is run. I think it is highly disengenuous for a family to need the help of the CC, knowing full well that making payments will be difficult, running up a debt to the company and then asking the gov't to intervene and change the way that company does business so that its easier for you.

I just disagree with that stance on moral, political, and biblical grounds.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Let's get back to the credit card issue. I do believe the government has a role to play in fraud prevention, so I am all for common sense laws to protect consumers from misleading advertisements. I am not sure if I am for or against the bill Obama is supporting because I don't know how far it goes? If it simply requires credit card issuers to be upfront about rates, I am all for it. If it prevents credit card companies from suckering people in with very low rates, only to raise them to absurd levels 6 months later without giving them clear information about their intentions, I am for that as well.

Each and every state has the ability and the authority to investigate and pass laws in regards to fraud. I still maintain that Obama's federal gov't has no business regulating private business. At most this is an issue at the State level.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Few can make it on $10 per hour, so why stop at this? Why not require all employers to pay a "living wage" of $50,000 annually? If the concept of a minimum wage helps where it is, why not raise it to a wage people can live on? The answers are obvious to anyone that gives any thought to it, but the same problems are already occuring on a smaller level.

Peachy idea, Butero... I think you may be on to something.... :hmmm:

Guest Butero

Peachy idea, Butero... I think you may be on to something.... :hmmm:

Why don't you write Obama, along with Reid and Pelosi and suggest it? If they actually pass the legislation, sit back and watch the results. :emot-sleepyhead: