• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  71
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/12/1985

what does that mean? back in my early years, i've always just thought. yeah burnt offerings. of. that's just about all i've thought of it. just a name. just an action. but what does it mean? Today i was reading through Jeremiah. i read a verse about burnt offerings and eating it for ourselves(rebellous guys like me, or whatever, maybe the bible said something else. i'm not typing this in the spirit and i didn't read the bible in spirit. i prayed a short prayer before i started to read). And right now. i'm eating cooked caribou meat with vegetables. is that what a burnt offering means? cook something(and cook it very well) and then offer it to God? i've always thought of burnt offerings like it was over cooked popcorn burnt. i know this is random. i just wanted to know.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/25/1977

what does that mean? back in my early years, i've always just thought. yeah burnt offerings. of. that's just about all i've thought of it. just a name. just an action. but what does it mean? Today i was reading through Jeremiah. i read a verse about burnt offerings and eating it for ourselves(rebellous guys like me, or whatever, maybe the bible said something else. i'm not typing this in the spirit and i didn't read the bible in spirit. i prayed a short prayer before i started to read). And right now. i'm eating cooked caribou meat with vegetables. is that what a burnt offering means? cook something(and cook it very well) and then offer it to God? i've always thought of burnt offerings like it was over cooked popcorn burnt. i know this is random. i just wanted to know.

Well, I'm no expert when it comes to the Levitical laws, but a couple things I do know from reading is that there were many kinds of offerings. Some offerings were to be offered to the Lord and eaten. If I am correct though, burnt offerings were to be put into the flames and turned into ashes...to the point where there was NO meat left. Now, the sin offering was to be cooked and eaten by the priests. You refer to Jeremiah, Im not sure which verse you were referring to, but IF you are speaking of Jeremiah 7, where it says to combine the burnt offering and the sacrifice, I believe that was Gods way of saying that they didn't matter each way. The Jews were no longer doing the will of God therefore He proclaims their offerings where to NO avail.

If you would like to know more about the law of offerings, you can refer to Leviticus 6. This gives a few different kinds of offerings...burnt, sin, and grain. I believe there is a peace offering as well.

I believe whats really important to notice, is while you read so many of these laws, keep in the back of your mind how Jesus fulfilled these and how they show symbolizm is His and the apostles ministry. For example, the sin offering was to be eaten by the priests...at the last supper, Jesus proclaimed, this is my body...eat.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.95
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

The burnt offering is described in multiple places in the OT. Leviticus 8:18-21 describes the Burnt Offering that Moses performed at the Tabernacle.

Leviticus 8:18 And he (Moses) brought the ram for the Burnt Offering (this represented the perfection of Christ, so it could be wholly burned on the Altar): and Aaron and his sons laid their hands upon the head of the ram (transferring their sins to this innocent victim, typifying Christ).

19: And he (Moses) killed it: and Moses sprinkled the blood upon the Altar round about.

20: And he cut the ram into pieces (signifying that Christ gave His all); and Moses burnt the head, and the pieces, and the fat (signifying Christ taking our judgment).

21: And he washed the inwards and the legs in water (portraying the purity of Christ); and Moses burnt the whole ram upon the Altar (signifying Christ's death on the cross): ....

Every offering at the Altar was a representation of Christ and His sacrifice on the cross and is never to be taken lightly.

Reference The Expositor's Study Bible, Jimmy Swaggart. ppg 206-207.

I believe whats really important to notice, is while you read so many of these laws, keep in the back of your mind how Jesus fulfilled these and how they show symbolizm is His and the apostles ministry.

knowing what these things said to the people who did them is the only way of knowing what they mean. Making symbolism apart from that will always be flawed speculation.

It makes no difference in your ultimate salvation but is rather a discipleship issue.

The burnt offering represents a life consumed by God.

There are certainly deeper lessons which could be learned and symbolic things which we can speculate about, but that's what it represented to the people offering them. For a really in-depth study there is one book I highly recommend and it's Louis Goldberg's commentary on Leviticus.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/25/1977

I believe whats really important to notice, is while you read so many of these laws, keep in the back of your mind how Jesus fulfilled these and how they show symbolizm is His and the apostles ministry.

knowing what these things said to the people who did them is the only way of knowing what they mean. Making symbolism apart from that will always be flawed speculation.

It makes no difference in your ultimate salvation but is rather a discipleship issue.

There are certainly deeper lessons which could be learned and symbolic things which we can speculate about, but that's what it represented to the people offering them. For a really in-depth study there is one book I highly recommend and it's Louis Goldberg's commentary on Leviticus.

I believe when we compare the OT to the NT it is possible to make MANY flawed speculations. The important part is to notice that they definetly correlate with one another giving greater meaning.

I will definetly check out that commentary...sounds like it would be very interesting. Thank you.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

I find that the sacrifices are often portray many if not all of things that Christ did. If we just take a look at the red heifer and that Christ was that perfect sacrifice in every way. The heifer was always sacrificed outside the gate on the Mt. of Olives and Christ had to be sacrificed also on the Mt. since the centurian saw the veil of the temple tear, also its reported they was a garden and there were tombs present. Digging deeper into the OT is full of rewards, G-d said He declares the end from the beginning.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  71
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/12/1985

Well, I'm no expert when it comes to the Levitical laws, but a couple things I do know from reading is that there were many kinds of offerings. Some offerings were to be offered to the Lord and eaten. If I am correct though, burnt offerings were to be put into the flames and turned into ashes...to the point where there was NO meat left. Now, the sin offering was to be cooked and eaten by the priests. You refer to Jeremiah, Im not sure which verse you were referring to, but IF you are speaking of Jeremiah 7, where it says to combine the burnt offering and the sacrifice, I believe that was Gods way of saying that they didn't matter each way. The Jews were no longer doing the will of God therefore He proclaims their offerings where to NO avail.

If you would like to know more about the law of offerings, you can refer to Leviticus 6. This gives a few different kinds of offerings...burnt, sin, and grain. I believe there is a peace offering as well.

I believe whats really important to notice, is while you read so many of these laws, keep in the back of your mind how Jesus fulfilled these and how they show symbolizm is His and the apostles ministry. For example, the sin offering was to be eaten by the priests...at the last supper, Jesus proclaimed, this is my body...eat.

Yeah. i was eating the meat after reading Jeremiah and i just started to wonder. is this like a burnt offering? the only offering i've known was my life giving myself for God, and money. that's all i've known as offerings.

The burnt offering is described in multiple places in the OT. Leviticus 8:18-21 describes the Burnt Offering that Moses performed at the Tabernacle.

Leviticus 8:18 And he (Moses) brought the ram for the Burnt Offering (this represented the perfection of Christ, so it could be wholly burned on the Altar): and Aaron and his sons laid their hands upon the head of the ram (transferring their sins to this innocent victim, typifying Christ).

19: And he (Moses) killed it: and Moses sprinkled the blood upon the Altar round about.

20: And he cut the ram into pieces (signifying that Christ gave His all); and Moses burnt the head, and the pieces, and the fat (signifying Christ taking our judgment).

21: And he washed the inwards and the legs in water (portraying the purity of Christ); and Moses burnt the whole ram upon the Altar (signifying Christ's death on the cross): ....

Every offering at the Altar was a representation of Christ and His sacrifice on the cross and is never to be taken lightly.

Reference The Expositor's Study Bible, Jimmy Swaggart. ppg 206-207.

>.> that's more then just money and faith(offering both and gettign something back in return)

i don't want to study burnt offerings at all. i just wanted to know out of curiosity.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

From what I know of offerings, you had to slay the animal and put it (the whole animal) on the altar and set it to flames.

So I am having a hard time understanding how cooking a slab of meat over a campfire or in an oven or on a stove can be considered "an offering"?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Ancient Israel had several different offerings which were burnt. The Book of Leviticus will let you read about them, and in it you will find the most perfect picture of the work of Christ on the Cross presented anywhere in the Bible.

In some of these offerings, the whole creature was burnt, and in some cases only parts were burnt, and the rest cooked as a meal for the Priests and their families.

i don't want to study burnt offerings at all. i just wanted to know out of curiosity.

and that's pretty much why so much of the church is ignorant, unbalanced, and failing.

Proverbs 1

1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

2 for attaining wisdom and discipline;

for understanding words of insight;

3 for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,

doing what is right and just and fair;

4 for giving prudence to the simple,

knowledge and discretion to the young-

5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,

and let the discerning get guidance-

6 for understanding proverbs and parables,

the sayings and riddles of the wise.

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,

but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

8 Listen, my son, to your father's instruction

and do not forsake your mother's teaching.

9 They will be a garland to grace your head

and a chain to adorn your neck.

10 My son, if sinners entice you,

do not give in to them.

11 If they say, "Come along with us;

let's lie in wait for someone's blood,

let's waylay some harmless soul;

12 let's swallow them alive, like the grave,

and whole, like those who go down to the pit;

13 we will get all sorts of valuable things

and fill our houses with plunder;

14 throw in your lot with us,

and we will share a common purse"-

15 my son, do not go along with them,

do not set foot on their paths;

16 for their feet rush into sin,

they are swift to shed blood.

17 How useless to spread a net

in full view of all the birds!

18 These men lie in wait for their own blood;

they waylay only themselves!

19 Such is the end of all who go after ill-gotten gain;

it takes away the lives of those who get it.

20 Wisdom calls aloud in the street,

she raises her voice in the public squares;

21 at the head of the noisy streets [c] she cries out,

in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

22 "How long will you simple ones [d] love your simple ways?

How long will mockers delight in mockery

and fools hate knowledge?

23 If you had responded to my rebuke,

I would have poured out my heart to you

and made my thoughts known to you.

24 But since you rejected me when I called

and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand,

25 since you ignored all my advice

and would not accept my rebuke,

26 I in turn will laugh at your disaster;

I will mock when calamity overtakes you-

27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,

when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,

when distress and trouble overwhelm you.

28 "Then they will call to me but I will not answer;

they will look for me but will not find me.

29 Since they hated knowledge

and did not choose to fear the LORD,

30 since they would not accept my advice

and spurned my rebuke,

31 they will eat the fruit of their ways

and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.

32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,

and the complacency of fools will destroy them;

33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety

and be at ease, without fear of harm."