• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Putting in v.11, since it usually seems to help having the previous verse...

v.11: He answered and said to them, "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.

v.12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.

I've heard this before, but my memory fails me on what he means here. If what the person has refers to knowing of God, it seems there's no hope for an unbeliever? But may come to Christ. It wouldn't refer to wealth, right? Tricky-

Thanks for insights.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Christ also gave us John 6:65. It kind of fits together. I'm typing on my phone or I would post the vs for you

JB

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,041
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

Putting in v.11, since it usually seems to help having the previous verse...

v.11: He answered and said to them, "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.

v.12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.

I've heard this before, but my memory fails me on what he means here. If what the person has refers to knowing of God, it seems there's no hope for an unbeliever? But may come to Christ. It wouldn't refer to wealth, right? Tricky-

Thanks for insights.

I would qualify those "given to know" with this verse -

Mt 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Here is JB Horns suggestion-

Joh 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

But I would say that is qualified by the same verse I've shared. No man can just come to Christ on his own out of mere inquisitiveness; there must be a conviction on sin and righteousness accompanied by a sense on accountability and judgment. That is the work of the Holy Spirit in the world.

Some men are responsive to the Holy Spirit, other

Edited by BlindSeeker

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

Those that seek after the knowledge of God will be blessed with even more knowledge and understanding. While those who refuse to have knowledge or to seek knowledge of God, will be "blinded" and there hearts will be "darkened" to where they will no longer seek to know God.

Ephesians 4:17-19 (New King James Version)

17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of[a] the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; 19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Romans 1:20-22 (New King James Version)

20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,

I don't believe it pertains to material wealth at all, though I've heard a few TV "evangelists" use this to get people to try and amass wealth (and share it with them and their TV ministry). I believe it is taken out of context and Jesus is referring to Knowledge of the Mysteries of God. My 2 cents

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

That helps.

Thanks- as usual! :wacko:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

This is a very interesting passage. Matthew actually constructed his thoughts in the form of a chiasm here:

A Looking they do not see, hearing they do not listen or understand (3:13)

B Isaiah's prophecy is fulfilled (3:14)

C You will Listen and never understand (3:14)

D You will look and never perceive (3:14)

E For this people's heart has grown callous (3:15)

F Their ears are hard of hearing (3:15)

G They have shut their eyes (3:15)

G' Otherwise they might see with their eyes (3:15)

F' And hear with their ears (3:15)

E' And understand with their hearts (3:15)

D' But your eyes are blessed, for they see (3:16)

C' And your ears, for they hear (3:16)

B' Many prophets and righteouse people (3:17)

A' Longed to see and did not see, to hear and did not hear

It is interesting that once again the scriptures present divine election (soveriegnty) and human choice / responsibility side by side, yet do not explain the exact relationship between them.