~candice~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Well, this thread really isn't about being left handed, or donkeys. But it is about those little extra details that are given to us in scripture. Things that we would usually read and gloss over.

I read this today...

Judges 12:13-15 (NASB)

Now Abdon the son of Hillel the Pirathonite judged Israel after him. He had forty sons and thirty grandsons who rode on seventy donkeys; and he judged Israel eight years. Then Abdon the son of Hillel the Pirathonite died and was buried at Pirathon in the land of Ephraim, in the hill country of the Amalekites.

...and thought, why did God put these details in His Word? Do you think that everything in the Word has some meaning? I know it is dangerous to read something significant into everything, we should not seek to find symbolism that isn't there for example.

Other examples of seemingly spurious detail is left-handedness...

Judges 3:15 (NASB)

But when the sons of Israel cried to the LORD, the LORD raised up a deliverer for them, Ehud the son of Gera, the Benjamite, a left-handed man. And the sons of Israel sent tribute by him to Eglon the king of Moab.

... although I have since discovered that this is an advantage in warfare.

So, do you think it is all there for a reason? Or are there parts in the bible that exist merely as fillers?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  483
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Well, this thread really isn't about being left handed, or donkeys. But it is about those little extra details that are given to us in scripture. Things that we would usually read and gloss over.

I read this today...

Judges 12:13-15 (NASB)

Now Abdon the son of Hillel the Pirathonite judged Israel after him. He had forty sons and thirty grandsons who rode on seventy donkeys; and he judged Israel eight years. Then Abdon the son of Hillel the Pirathonite died and was buried at Pirathon in the land of Ephraim, in the hill country of the Amalekites.

...and thought, why did God put these details in His Word? Do you think that everything in the Word has some meaning? I know it is dangerous to read something significant into everything, we should not seek to find symbolism that isn't there for example.

Other examples of seemingly spurious detail is left-handedness...

But when the sons of Israel cried to the LORD, the LORD raised up a deliverer for them, Ehud the son of Gera, the Benjamite, a left-handed man. And the sons of Israel sent tribute by him to Eglon the king of Moab.

... although I have since discovered that this is an advantage in warfare.

So, do you think it is all there for a reason? Or are there parts in the bible that exist merely as fillers?

Hiya Aussie

I think that scripture is true when it says ALL scripture is given by God and is profitable. I believe every word is significant, not neccessarily in translation, but at least in the original... Youre right too that we shouldnt try to read into it, this can be dangerous and its sometimes how cults are sprung up. On the other hand these details may not be meant to sinping in everyone, but maybe it is meant to inspire just one or 2 people throughout all of history ina single decision ini their lives.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

from the " Treasury of Scripture Knowledge:

Judges3:15, This Hebrew phrase intimates that, either through disease or disuse, he made little use of the right hand, but his left only, and so was less fit for war, because he would most likely wield a dagger awkwardly; Yet God chose this left handed man to be the minister of His retributive justice. It was God's right hand that gained Israel the victory. Ref. Ps.44:3

Other commentaries suggest that describing him as left handed meant he was ambidexterous and more fit for warfare.

Personally, I enjoy the Treasuries explanation.

As for the donkeys. The commentaries are almost silent, but reference is made to sitting in judgement without further explanation.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Oh, those details are there for a reason.

I wish I could tell you what those particular ones are there for, but they are recorded for a reason.

Oh, those details are there for a reason.

I wish I could tell you what those particular ones are there for, but they are recorded for a reason.

Every detail? I wish I could find another example... It is fascinating though, that every single word is inspired, I think it has to be for a reason! I will never gloss over an additional adjective or seemingly spurious fact again LOL.

Yes - sometimes it takes someone who knows the culture or to know particulars of the Hebrew language or something.

I know I've heard teaching where people have found nuggets of truth from those kinds of details . . . unfortunately I can't think of an example off of the top of my head.

BTW -

Ehud the son of Gera, the Benjamite, a left-handed man

Check this out -

Judges 20

15 And from their cities at that time the children of Benjamin numbered twenty-six thousand men who drew the sword, besides the inhabitants of Gibeah, who numbered seven hundred select men. 16 Among all this people were seven hundred select men who were left-handed; every one could sling a stone at a hair's breadth and not miss.

Apparently being left handed is a warfare advantage because the shields and defense are designed against a right handed attack... :emot-highfive:

OK - I am sure someone can find a spiritual application to this, to as I looked at the passage to read the entire story, it appears that Ehud being left-handed enabled him to enact a ploy to slay the king.

16 Now Ehud made himself a dagger (it was double-edged and a cubit in length) and fastened it under his clothes on his right thigh. 17 So he brought the tribute to Eglon king of Moab. (Now Eglon was a very fat man.) 18 And when he had finished presenting the tribute, he sent away the people who had carried the tribute. 19 But he himself turned back from the stone images that were at Gilgal, and said, "I have a secret message for you, O king." He said, "Keep silence!" And all who attended him went out from him. 20 And Ehud came to him (now he was sitting upstairs in his cool private chamber). Then Ehud said, "I have a message from God for you." So he arose from his seat. 21 Then Ehud reached with his left hand, took the dagger from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  483
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Apparently being left handed is a warfare advantage because the shields and defense are designed against a right handed attack... :emot-highfive:

youre right... and most people are trained to defend a right hand attack, and how to attack a right hander. Thats why south paw boxers are considered formidable if they have any talent at all