• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Those sound like excellent resources for us non Hebrew and Greek readers. The best resource I have Bible software with the Strong's numbers and definitions built-in. I hate thumbing through that big book.

You are absolutely right about translations. I believe Websters dictionary is nearly useless when it comes to studying the Bible. Hebrew has seven different words that mean praise, and the Greek has three words that mean love. What does Webster know about that? For example, Webster can't tell you what a talent means in the NT.

Beware when someone's doctrine hinges upon one word in the Bible, or a certain translation of the Bible.

I would suggest a complete word dictionary for both Hebrew and Greek. I personally use these:

The Complete Word Study Dictionary New Testament edited by Spiros Zodhiates Th.C.; published by AMG Publishers. ISBN 0-89957-663-X

The Complete Word Study Dictionary Old Testament by Warren Baker, D.R.E. and Eugene Carpenter, Ph.D.; published by AMG Publishers. ISBN 0-89957-667-2

I find them invaluable when trying to understand the context in which the author use it. Today, as we just read the bible, we can, by the use of today's language, obtain a different understanding of scripture then what it was meant to be. The meaning of words changed over time, and through translation, be it every so slight in meaning, there are more then one way to read a scripture in it's present sentence structure.

Edited by KC02

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Anyone have any suggestions on books for starters? What I mean by starters, is learning to pray, learning to read the Bible, learning fellowship with God.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Anyone have any suggestions on books for starters? What I mean by starters, is learning to pray, learning to read the Bible, learning fellowship with God.

I must admit, you have me puzzled. There are two threads active at the moment where you are agreeing that you are taught by the bible alone, and quite firmly saying that there need not be any other books.

So what books are you after here? Any books on "learning to pray" for example are going to expound on scripture much like the books you are opposed to (see the thread here and here ).

Books suchs as concordances and dictionaries etc have already been discussed.

:group-hug:

I must admit, you have me puzzled. There are two threads active at the moment where you are agreeing that you are taught by the bible alone, and quite firmly saying that there need not be any other books.

So what books are you after here? Any books on "learning to pray" for example are going to expound on scripture much like the books you are opposed to (see the thread here).

That thread kind of made me look at things differently. Maybe I was being a bit close-minded. I mean, if I do read from Christian authors I will be very cautious. I definitely need some help in the areas mentioned. Perhaps Christianity for Dummies?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

So what books are you after here? Any books on "learning to pray" for example are going to expound on scripture much like the books you are opposed to (see the thread here).

That thread kind of made me look at things differently. Maybe I was being a bit close-minded. I mean, if I do read from Christian authors I will be very cautious. I definitely need some help in the areas mentioned. Perhaps Christianity for Dummies?

Being cautious is a great idea! We are told to test all things, hold onto only that which is scriptural. I hope you do find some good reference books. Does your church have an introductory course that you could do? Things like heaven and hell, and the role of satan etc, are usually discussed in those courses.

There is a wonderful book called "Reading the bible for all it's worth" that I highly recommend.

Being cautious is a great idea! We are told to test all things, hold onto only that which is scriptural. I hope you do find some good reference books. Does your church have an introductory course that you could do? Things like heaven and hell, and the role of satan etc, are usually discussed in those courses.

There is a wonderful book called "Reading the bible for all it's worth" that I highly recommend.

My church doesn't have any classes. I was confirmed but most of the stuff I learned I forgot. I will ask my pastor next time I'm in church. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

I stick by my recommendations. They are great for beginners and scholars alike. If you would like some free online classes, you can try http://www.bible,org