• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  187
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1959

I found this article on the complacency of some Christians about their belief in Hell as a real place. Some choose not to think about it because after God is a loving God and He wouldn't send anyone to Hell would He?? Obviously some of them have not read the old testament where God is a vengeful warrior, ready to defend His people.

The prospect of Hell being just as real as Heaven is something that some would rather not deal with so they bury their heads in the sand and hope it will all go away. Wrong! Hell needs to be taught that it is a very real place and not just a concept used to frighten people into submission. There are ONLY two choices one leads to eternal life in a place that is so beautiful, peaceful and filled with Christ's glory that it is beyond our comprehension to a place of eternal destruction and torment.

One would think it shouldn't be that hard to choose where to spend eternity but for those who don't think of hell as a real place complacency takes over and we rationalize that in the long run God would never actually send anyone to Hell that is just a myth. The Bible tells a different story however, what it all comes down to is your either born again or your not, there is no halfway, in- between, no fence-sitters, or just alittle bit saved with conditions. God will spit you out of His mouth and if that sounds harsh then your right but its not like you weren't warned!!

The Disappearance of Hell

A growing number of Christians believe that the doctrine of hell is false.

One of the most disquieting doctrines of the Christian faith is the doctrine of hell and the eternal suffering of the damned. Skeptics have used it to argue against the faith and a growing number of believers either choose not to think about it or even have decided that hell cannot be real.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

IGNORING YAHWEH'S JUDGMENT IN POLITICALLY CORRECT AMERICA!

By Lee Webb

Courtesy CBN

Even 30, 40 and 50-years ago years ago, sermons that addressed the consequences of dying apart from Christ were commonly heard.

Most Americans don't believe in Hell. The latest research from Barna Associates shows that only 31 percent of adults see Hell as "a place of physical torment where people may be sent."

Even among Christians, there appears to be some confusion about Hell and who goes there when they die. But why is that? Some say it is because the church has been ominously silent about the subject.

Stroll the streets of America today and you will find that eternal destiny is not a subject most people even want to talk about. And when they do, their thoughts on the matter are quite diverse.

CBN News asked one man, "Do you believe there is a place called Hell?" He replied, "Yes, sir. My belief in Christianity has taught me that."

We asked another man, "Do you believe that all people, when they die, would go to heaven?" After taking a moment to think it over, he said, "Hmmm, good question. Yes."

One woman responded, "I don't know, I think it would have to be something very, very, extremely bad to go to Hell."

Another man said, "Honest belief? This is Hell. We are in Hell now. It has to be better in the next life."

That confusion does not surprise the president of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, and he lays the blame squarely on the church. Dr. Paige Patterson said, "You can traverse the entire United States on any given Sunday morning, and you very probably will not hear a sermon on the judgement of God or eternal punishment."

Patterson added, "Evangelicals have voted by the silence of their voices that they either do not believe in [the doctrine of Hell] or else no longer have the courage and conviction to stand and say anything about it."

Author and theologian R.C. Sproul is even more direct. "I think what we face in the church today is a virtual eclipse of the character of God," he said.

The irony is that evangelicals consider one sermon about God

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

It's funny that you bring this subject up because my pastor preached about this yesterday. He basically read the same things that you stated about most people not believing in a literal hell because a loving God wouldn't send people to hell etc. What people miss is that God's wrath and justice is as much a part of his character as His love. If hell were not a place for those who reject God then what is the point of evangelism and the church?

My pastor basically preached that hell is as the "literal" view that you stated. I don't remember all the scripture but he did refer to Luke 16: 19-31 as the most explanatory of what hell will be like. He talked about hell being a place of physical and emotional torment. A place of eternal separation from God. And a place where there will be unsatisfied desires as we can see in Luke.

For the Christian, when we catch even a glimpse of what hell will be like we should be shouting from the street the Good News so that others will not have to go to such a horrible place.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

A couple of years ago, I saw an article about this in the newspaper. They quote Robert Schuller as saying that he hasn't preached about hell in about 40 years. Too disturbing, to unpleasant. He'd rather preach about butterflies and rainbows.

Pity. :b:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  280
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

There are lots of things that people don't want to face, aging, sickness such as cancer, the threat of global terrorism....that does not make these things go away. Hell will not change because we don't want to believe in it. I can agree that there is no point in hitting people over the head with the fact of hell being real and also that the majority of people will go there (according to scripture). But it sure needs to be a part of the message or else we are not delivering the full truth of the gospel.

• Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  997
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

The "Air Conditioning of Hell"/"The no smoking section of Hell"-Given that there are approximately 1 billion Roman Catholics, representing approx. 17% of the world's population, and given the "high visiblity" of the RCC, is this a surprise?- John Carol(the "pope") redefines words, doctrine-comments He made 5 years ago this month(July 1999):

"More than a physical place..hell is the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/04/1959

A couple of years ago, I saw an article about this in the newspaper. They quote Robert Schuller as saying that he hasn't preached about hell in about 40 years. Too disturbing, to unpleasant. He'd rather preach about butterflies and rainbows.

Pity. :o

I can't ever remember giving a sermon, without speaking of Hell,,,,,,we have two choices, and that is what it is, a choice,,,,but Hell is hot and it is real, and it is forever, but we choose to go there, it is not Gods will that we go there, that is why he sent his Son, but still, we choose Hell,,,,,,,As for me, I choose Jesus...God Bless all

Guest kitkat

I have heard sermons about the reality of hell all my life. Hell is very real and no one should ever get to a point where they are complacent about that.

I do have a question about this though and it is a question out of concern and one that I have struggled with for a while now.

Since hell for sinners is forever and such a severe punishment, beyond what we can even comprehend, why is it that it is forever? Sometimes I don't understand why God ordained the punishment of sinners to be forever at such a severe, tormenting level.

The Bible teaches us to forgive our brothers 70 X 7 for wrongs they have done to us and while I know that the Bible warns and teaches that those that reject Christ will suffer the eternal punishment of the flames of hell, I don't understand why any sin can be so severe that it deserves eternal flaming torment that is so terrible.

I myself, with even my worst enemy that has wronged me, don't wish to see them suffer forever for what they've done. I just don't understand why it is forever. Is there any sin SO terrible that it makes a sinner deserve the most horrendous, torment imaginable, forever?

I am not doubting that Hell is real. I believe it's very real. My question here is, why if God teaches us to forgive others here on earth, does he want those that have rejected him and sinned to burn in everlasting torment? Why is there not a point where the sinner has suffered enough punishment for his sin in hell, according to what his sins are and possibly have a second chance in some way with God afterwards?

I know this is a profound question, but I have always wondered this.

Kat

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

I don't understand why any sin can be so severe that it deserves eternal flaming torment that is so terrible.

Because God says so. :o That's the only possible answer.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,478
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  04/11/1972

I don't understand why any sin can be so severe that it deserves eternal flaming torment that is so terrible.

Because God says so. :o That's the only possible answer.

Yup....because God is just....He would be unjust if He overlooked sin. ONE infraction is all it takes.....

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Thankfully God is also MERCIFUL and paid the price FOR US ?

Romans 8:1

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus

Serving Him,

Bob