Church Gimmick Fills Pews

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

"Bringing people into the church to hear the word is not the Lord's work?

If the money being used comes from the offerings, and it is multiplying the amount of people to give offerings, then I would think this would bring more money to good unto those who are in the household of faith."

But then why not put a slot machine in the foyer? There is no difference. Put your offering in and the machine is set to repay one lucky punter $1000. There is no difference between what is happening in this church and a slot machine in the foyer of the building. The only difference is put your hand in the bucket and the lucky winner is sitting in pew number 35! Whee, hooray! Ching, Ching. And almost everyone else goes home disappointed.

"Well never mind Janet, there is always next week, and at least we aren't gambling"

It's wrong and there is no difference between the two.

Who's Janet?

Well I wanted to use an example of someone I don't actually know :whistling: To any Janet's here, I sincerely apologize :laugh: (and it was the name of the lead woman in the Rocky Horror Picture Show), her boyfriend was Brad I think. Funny how one remembers things......

Ok... just checking on you to see if you and Janet are an item.... :laugh::thumbsup:

Who's Janet? You know her? :whistling:

She's a close friend and I've noticed that she's been away a lot lately..... hmmmm could it be??

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Who's Janet?

Janet is my sister and she is only 17 Fez!

Who's Janet?

FEZ!!!!!!!! I think that could be prosecuted, KC... Fez I am shocked. wow.... it's always the quiet ones...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I can just imagine the Pharisee's in Jesus day...

Oh look, he's healing people...what a gimmick.

Oh look, he's feeding people...what a gimmick.

Oh look, he's filling their fish nets...what a gimmick.

Oh look, he's walking on water...what a gimmick.

I think the Apostle Paul said it best...I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

I don't think this pastor is Jesus - this is gambling with money that was given to do the Lords work. There is no oversight- and no discretion to whom the money goes to - little more than a ploy - and there are no souls saved by this- give your heart to Jesus and you could be eligible for a fifty dollar drawing! Tax free!

Really...are you sure he's not Jesus? Thanks for clearing that up... :thumbsup:

How exactly do you know if there are no souls saved by this? How do you know that someone didn't hear about this 'gimmick' on Thursday and decided to show up on Sunday only to discover Jesus? You don't know. There are reportedly hundreds of additional people attending this church on a weekly basis...thats alot of potential 'new ears.'

Furthermore...when you have 2500 people in church and a mere three winning the prize...I'm guessing that most people attending are smart enough to figure out the odds of winning. I'd bet that most people are just excited to hear about a church that isn't stuck in the 16th century and is doing things that are exciting and new. This 'gimmick' is harmless, and probably alot of fun...instead of casting condemnation you should be casting prayers that God uses their efforts.

Oh...and if Janet with the big hat in the fourth row were to receive this gift...I would not walk away disappointed. I would be happy for her...but thats just me. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

My prayers go out to all involved at this "church".

When churches try to look like a cheap imitation of the world it never brings people to God. Instead of us being transformed to Him and worshipping Him, they try to change to make God more fun, and church not so boring. Let's replace the pews with chairs - take away hymnals and replace it with "praise bands" and karaoke worship. Replace Scripture with chicken soup for the teenage soul.

Away goes reverence for God, because it is inconvenient for me to wear my suit. Away goes discipleship replaced with feel good spirituality. I would rather worship in a 16th century church that revered God than a modern day shopping mall church trying to repackage Christianity in a cellophane modern day cheap imitation box. But that's just me....

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

This 'gimmick' is harmless, and probably alot of fun...

Eve thought the serpent's gimmick was harmless and would be alot of fun, too, and she ate of the fruit God told her not to. You can read about it in Genesis Chapter 3

Blessings,

Nikki

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

take away hymnals and replace it with "praise bands" and karaoke worship

You had better watch it, somebody might steal your idea of karaoke worship! That is a hoot! There is plenty of room for contemporary worship services and a little innovation within the church. Trust me, I have visited many "16th century" style churches over the years. Old fashioned, yes, and I believe if those people were so close to God, like they insist they are, there might be more than 15 people in attendance.

The fact is, these 16 century churches are dying. In 100 years there may not be any of them left. Enjoy them while you can.

I actually agree with part of what you say, but the overriding attitude is not beneficial to the church. You seem to be describing a funeral service as your ideal church service. That is sad. No wonder mainline churches are dying.

My prayers go out to all involved at this "church".

When churches try to look like a cheap imitation of the world it never brings people to God. Instead of us being transformed to Him and worshipping Him, they try to change to make God more fun, and church not so boring. Let's replace the pews with chairs - take away hymnals and replace it with "praise bands" and karaoke worship. Replace Scripture with chicken soup for the teenage soul.

Away goes reverence for God, because it is inconvenient for me to wear my suit. Away goes discipleship replaced with feel good spirituality. I would rather worship in a 16th century church that revered God than a modern day shopping mall church trying to repackage Christianity in a cellophane modern day cheap imitation box. But that's just me....

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

The greatest music of all time is Christian or sacred music ( Bach, Beethoven , Handel etc.) so why should we worship him with anything less?

Hank (to a "hardcore" christian rock band): "Can't you see you're not making christianity any better, you're just making rock 'n roll worse".

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Who's Janet?

FEZ!!!!!!!! I think that could be prosecuted, KC... Fez I am shocked. wow.... it's always the quiet ones...

Quiet, me? :noidea:

Who's Janet?

Quiet, me? :noidea:

How's Janet? :)