Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Repentance is very much a part of Salvation. In fact, to me, seeing ourselves as sinners, and turning to Christ from that

sin. Everyone words being saved in so many ways, but basically, turning to Christ from your past, and trusting in Christ, that is his death, burial and resurrection. I was saved as a child. I was not aware of what sin was in near the way I do now. So my turning was not a major thing, but I had been taught that I was a sinner. I told lies and fought with my siblings...that sort of thing. I was not really convicted of sin so much as I wanted Christ to be my Saviour. I wanted to follow Him, love Him and live for Him. That I understood.

Now almost 60 years later, I understand a whole lot more about sin and how terrible it is.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357
When I hear you guys talking about repentance is nessacary for salvation, I'm confused. I know that by grace we are saved, not of works. There is nothing we can do to earn salvation. When you say that to recive salvation, we must repent, it sounds like you're saying we have to earn it. I was taught that " Salvation is a gift, you cannot earn it." If you must repent, then why did Jesus say what he did to the theif on the cross? That guy didn't have time to repent.

Jesus claimed that He came to call sinners to repentance. Repentance is a response to the Gospel in the light of one's sin. When you repent, it means that you turn from sin to Christ. If Jesus' puts a high premium on repentance, do we dare insinuate that we operate from a higher standard than he does?

In dealing with repentance there are three steps that will be observed as God works on the heart of a sinner:

1. Conviction - Sin is confessed. A person must see himself as the Bible describes him, as a lost, ruined and hopellessly wicked wretch who is helpless to do anything to change his estate before God. He must see his good works as "filthy rags" and that he stands before an infinitely holy and righteous God. Repentance will bring confession of sin (Ps. 32:5; 51:1-4).

2. Contrition/Remorse - Sorrow over sin. When a person comes to a place of contrition, he has a godly sorrrow for his sin and he hates sin. "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of ..." (2 Cor. 7:10).

3. Conversion To Christ - Sin Forsaken. Repentance is not just being broken for sin, but to be broken from sin as well. We must forsake that which we want God to forgive.

And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: But showed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

(Acts 26:15-20)

The message Paul preached that he received from Christ was a message of repentance. Peter preached repentance in Acts: 2:38, and declared it was God's will that all men come to repentance in 2 Peter 3:9.

Even Jesus claimed that he came to call sinners to repent:

And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician: but they that are sick I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

(Luke 5:31-32)

It also bears noting that Repentance is a work of God on the heart of a sinner. Repentance occurs when the Holy Spirit uses the Word of God to destroy the sinner's self-righteousness, and self- goodness, and causes him to call out to God for mercy and forgiveness. Repentance is a work of the Holy spirit that causes a change of attitude, action, and affection.

If Jesus' earthly ministry was one of calling sinners to repentance, why would that have changed as we continue the ministry He began? Would not Jesus if he were walking this sod still be calling sinners to repentance? If we avoid the message of repentance, we are not reflecting His heart or His will.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

When I hear you guys talking about repentance is nessacary for salvation, I'm confused. I know that by grace we are saved, not of works. There is nothing we can do to earn salvation. When you say that to recive salvation, we must repent, it sounds like you're saying we have to earn it. I was taught that " Salvation is a gift, you cannot earn it." If you must repent, then why did Jesus say what he did to the theif on the cross? That guy didn't have time to repent.

Jesus claimed that He came to call sinners to repentance. Repentance is a response to the Gospel in the light of one's sin. When you repent, it means that you turn from sin to Christ. If Jesus' puts a high premium on repentance, do we dare insinuate that we operate from a higher standard than he does?

In dealing with repentance there are three steps that will be observed as God works on the heart of a sinner:

1. Conviction - Sin is confessed. A person must see himself as the Bible describes him, as a lost, ruined and hopellessly wicked wretch who is helpless to do anything to change his estate before God. He must see his good works as "filthy rags" and that he stands before an infinitely holy and righteous God. Repentance will bring confession of sin (Ps. 32:5; 51:1-4).

2. Contrition/Remorse - Sorrow over sin. When a person comes to a place of contrition, he has a godly sorrrow for his sin and he hates sin. "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of ..." (2 Cor. 7:10).

3. Conversion To Christ - Sin Forsaken. Repentance is not just being broken for sin, but to be broken from sin as well. We must forsake that which we want God to forgive.

And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: But showed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

(Acts 26:15-20)

The message Paul preached that he received from Christ was a message of repentance. Peter preached repentance in Acts: 2:38, and declared it was God's will that all men come to repentance in 2 Peter 3:9.

Even Jesus claimed that he came to call sinners to repent:

And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician: but they that are sick I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

(Luke 5:31-32)

It also bears noting that Repentance is a work of God on the heart of a sinner. Repentance occurs when the Holy Spirit uses the Word of God to destroy the sinner's self-righteousness, and self- goodness, and causes him to call out to God for mercy and forgiveness. Repentance is a work of the Holy spirit that causes a change of attitude, action, and affection.

If Jesus' earthly ministry was one of calling sinners to repentance, why would that have changed as we continue the ministry He began? Would not Jesus if he were walking this sod still be calling sinners to repentance? If we avoid the message of repentance, we are not reflecting His heart or His will.

Thats a good explanition......so repentance is both an inwardly and outwardly 180, both are required for salvation.