IGNORED

Does God hear the prayers of unbelievers?

wyguy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

God only hears prayers that come through Jesus Christ, as with all things. Without the Cross, there is no fellowship with God.

Well, like a few have already pointed out, God, being omniscient, hears and knows everything. But answering the prayers of unregenerated sinners is a whole other matter...

Of course God is omniscient. That is not the question. Does God "hear" the prayers of the lost? God chooses to do nothing outside the confines of Jesus Christ and what He did on the Cross. The Holy Spirit operates in the same fashion. When Christ was here, when He heard the pleas of the Jews and the Gentiles, it was always on the basis of their belief of who He is. Everything is done based on faith. Even when the sinner comes to repentance, it is on the basis of their faith in the saving power of the Cross as revealed to them by the Holy Spirit.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357
God chooses to do nothing outside the confines of Jesus Christ and what He did on the Cross. The Holy Spirit operates in the same fashion.
yet, Acts 10 would say otherwise.

When Christ was here, when He heard the pleas of the Jews and the Gentiles, it was always on the basis of their belief of who He is.
Yes, but he listened and granted their requests before demanding a statement of faith. The man born blind in John 10 put his faith in Jesus AFTER He was healed. In fact, there is not one place where Jesus demanded anyone confess Him as the Son of God prior to being healed. Jesus granted the requests of sinners before they knew who He was.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

I've been rather curious about this. Does God hear any prayers from unbelievers, except the prayer of salvation, as scripture seems to indicate?

"We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does His will" (John 9:31)

Any insight into this?

Before I look at any of the answers:

Why would an unbeliever pray?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I've been rather curious about this. Does God hear any prayers from unbelievers, except the prayer of salvation, as scripture seems to indicate?

"We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does His will" (John 9:31)

Any insight into this?

Before I look at any of the answers:

Why would an unbeliever pray?

I think that the OP meant "unsaved". If not, good question!

God only hears prayers that come through Jesus Christ, as with all things. Without the Cross, there is no fellowship with God.

Well, like a few have already pointed out, God, being omniscient, hears and knows everything. But answering the prayers of unregenerated sinners is a whole other matter...

Of course God is omniscient. That is not the question. Does God "hear" the prayers of the lost? God chooses to do nothing outside the confines of Jesus Christ and what He did on the Cross. The Holy Spirit operates in the same fashion. When Christ was here, when He heard the pleas of the Jews and the Gentiles, it was always on the basis of their belief of who He is. Everything is done based on faith. Even when the sinner comes to repentance, it is on the basis of their faith in the saving power of the Cross as revealed to them by the Holy Spirit.

This is an odd paragraph. By your statement, GOD never heard a prayer of one of HIS chosen from the tribe of Israel? And doesn't now? I know I already stated this, but why would they call to HIM if they didn't believe in what HE could do?

What of those whom GOD knows will believe in the future? Those JESUS knows HE died for?

Such a flat bold statment really doesn't reflect he complexity of the question. And what of those of HIS chosen, Israel?

I do not know what prayers HE hears and what HE doesn't hear. I only know that, if you want to know for certain that your prayer will get through, you have to pray through JESUS.

Guest HIS girl

'jeremiah1five'

And so I must ask you...Are you a born again believer and disciple of Jesus Christ?

I am quite speechless right at the moment.... :wub:

Guest shiloh357
TO: Shiloh357...

No, the verse in Proverbs 15:8 is self contained and says nothing about "seeking absolution for sins."

Uh, that is what sacrifices were for. That was the point of seeking forgiveness through the offering of sacrifices. Psalm 15:8 is talking about wicked people who offer insincere repentance. That is what makes them wicked. They enjoy sin and have no remorse. That is why the offering of sacrifices by wicked were such an abomination to God. I say that because the Bible says the same thing in other places:

The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more, when he bringeth it with a wicked mind?

(Pro 21:27)

You are adding to the Bible. That verse in Proverbs speaks for itself as do the other Scriptures I provided in answer to your question. Paul's statements in 1 Corinthians 2:14 also speaks for itself. Approaching unto God included approaching Him in prayer.
I am not adding anything to the Bible. You are taking verses beyond what was intended. 1 Cor. 2:14 is referring to the natural man not understanding doctrine. It has nothing to do with whether or not a sinner's prayer will not be heard.

A wicked person is anyone who is dead in trespasses and sin (Eph. 2:1). I am surprised you don't understand this.
The Bible does not say that. You are appllying the term "wicked" to all unbelievers, but that is unfair and unbiblical. Wicked people are inordinately steeped in moral evil to the point they are nearly, if not completely irretrievably evil. Not all sinners fall under that category, and any reasonable person knows that. We have all known unbelievers who are good people, who pay their taxes, love their families are faithful to their spouses, who obey the law, give to charity and are generally decent, hardworking people. They cannot be considered "wicked" by any objective standard.

I am also surprised that you don't understand the other Scripture I have provided to answer you and wyguy in this thread.
I have not paid much attention to what you have posted to wyguy.

But there are those who just do not believe. And so I must ask you...Are you a born again believer and disciple of Jesus Christ?
Yes, I am.

I ask because in this thread you contradict yourself in your statements and also have standings contrary to the Word of God.
I hvae not contradicted myself at any point. I may have made statements that contrary to what YOU believe the Word of God says, but that is not equivilant to being contrary to the Word of God.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.84
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

God only hears prayers that come through Jesus Christ, as with all things.
The Bible doesn't say that, unless you have Scripture on the issue I am unaware of.

Acts 10:4 seems to suggest that you are mistaken.

All the things that Cornelius did were noticed by God, who see and hears everything, but they did not save him. Cornelius feared God, but it did not save him. He was devout, but it did not save him. He gave alms to the poor, but it did not save him. He prayed to God always, but it did not save him. Being religious does not save anyone, there must be acceptance of Christ and the Cross. In verse 4, the title "Lord" in the manner Cornelius used it does not refer to a Deity but refers to respect or honor. All of this shows that a seeking heart will find the Lord, but is always done through Christ and the Cross. Peter had to come to Cornelius to preach the Gospel, after Cornelius sent for him. After hearing the Gospel, Cornelius and his family were saved.

When I speak of God hearing the prayers of the "lost", I mean hearing and responding to that prayer as He does for the faithful. All of scripture teaches that the only way to God is through Christ. It teaches that the Holy Spirit only works through the confines of Christ and the Cross. Even when He calls the unsaved to repentance, He points to Christ and the Cross. Not to God, but to Christ. If you know another way to God, please tell me what it is.

Guest shiloh357
All the things that Cornelius did were noticed by God, who see and hears everything, but they did not save him. Cornelius feared God, but it did not save him. He was devout, but it did not save him. He gave alms to the poor, but it did not save him. He prayed to God always, but it did not save him.
Which makes my point. God heard and responded to Cornelius' prayers BEFORE Cornelius was saved. (Acts 10:4)

Being religious does not save anyone, there must be acceptance of Christ and the Cross.
True, but no one is saying otherwise. You are trying refute an argument that hasn't been raised.

In verse 4, the title "Lord" in the manner Cornelius used it does not refer to a Deity but refers to respect or honor.
Yes, but the rest of the passage indicates that God heard and sent an angel to respond to Cornelius.

All of this shows that a seeking heart will find the Lord, but is always done through Christ and the Cross.
Actually, Cornelius was not "seeking" the Lord. Cornelius was a partial proselyte to the Jewish religion of the day, and was offering up the same Minchah (9th hour) prayers that other Jews were offering.

Peter had to come to Cornelius to preach the Gospel, after Cornelius sent for him. After hearing the Gospel, Cornelius and his family were saved.
Again, not the issue. Cornelius would not have known to send for Peter if the prayers of unsaved Cornelius were not listened to and responded to by God.

When I speak of God hearing the prayers of the "lost", I mean hearing and responding to that prayer as He does for the faithful. All of scripture teaches that the only way to God is through Christ. It teaches that the Holy Spirit only works through the confines of Christ and the Cross. Even when He calls the unsaved to repentance, He points to Christ and the Cross. Not to God, but to Christ. If you know another way to God, please tell me what it is.
Again, you are trying to debate an issue that no one is disputing. There is no Scriptural assertion that God does not hear or even respond to the prayers of unbelievers. God is not obligated either way. If God chose to answer the prayer of an unbeliever, what doctrine would it violate?