• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Teachers forced to 'hide in closets' to pray

School employees ordered to stop others from 'communicating with a deity'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: December 10, 2009

Florida school teachers say they are being forced to hide in closets to pray after a controversial court ruling.

Under an order crafted by the ACLU, school employees in Santa Rosa School District must act in an "official capacity" whenever they are at a "school event"

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

So much for religious freedom.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

Why aren't they teaching students? I am not against prayer in schools -but you can pray without a closet or bowing your head - but aren't they supposed to be teaching students? Just wondering.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Greetings,

I have a question:

How do these laws get passed?

Is the public made aware of these things that can and do effect them, so that they are able to attend these

meetings to voice their concerns?

Or do the school board and others have a special meeting where the public isn't allowed to attend?

:emot-fail: ...jot

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Why aren't they teaching students? I am not against prayer in schools -but you can pray without a closet or bowing your head - but aren't they supposed to be teaching students? Just wondering.

:emot-fail: Where are you getting that the teachers aren't teaching?

:emot-fail: Where are you getting that the teachers aren't teaching?

Well, it seems that they are spending a lot of time in closets and dodging the ACLU. In my experience as a parent with kids in school - I wanted to instruct my children A)About Jesus B) About sex. I neither wanted nor needed their school teachers to do that for me. That said - I think this is the same school system that had administrators in court over the summer. I think the kids need to be taught the curriculum.... It would be great if their parents were involved enough to teach them Christian values and things that should be taught in the home. Unless this is a Christian or parochial school - they need to get to the business at hand and get out of the closet they are in and teach.

Well, it seems that they are spending a lot of time in closets and dodging the ACLU. In my experience as a parent with kids in school - I wanted to instruct my children A)About Jesus B) About sex. I neither wanted nor needed their school teachers to do that for me. That said - I think this is the same school system that had administrators in court over the summer. I think the kids need to be taught the curriculum.... It would be great if their parents were involved enough to teach them Christian values and things that should be taught in the home. Unless this is a Christian or parochial school - they need to get to the business at hand and get out of the closet they are in and teach.

In reading the article, I do not see them praying for the entire 6 or so hours of school time. And they weren't teaching prayer, just joining in on prayer or offering prayer when a need arose.

This should be our lifestyle - as opportunity arises, lift up prayer.

But I see no indication they prayed during class hours.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

So...while they are in an "official capacity" as teachers and representatives of the school district...they are supposed to be teaching and not leading religious activities. I am okay with that on several fronts. I guarantee that very few of you would be worried about "religious freedoms" if this was a group of Hindu or Muslim teachers who were trying to exercise their religious freedoms in an "official capacity."

Nobody said teachers can't pray...nobody said teachers can't be Christians. However, when you are a representative of a public (read: gov't funded) school...you have no right or reason to be sending out emails with Christian greetings, or making public Christian announcements, or publicly praying at school events.

This is NOT an anti-christian thing either...because I'd wager that everyone of us would complain (myself included) if we found out that groups of teachers were leading muslim prayers before events, or starting their emails with "assalamu alaikum." And the ACLU would take them to court for us...

That is my concern also. My children went all the way through public school and I only had to confront teachers regarding events in the classroom or something they were told on 3 occasions. One teacher was Wiccan and started telling my 9 year old all about it.... I had a problem (as did other parents) with this and she was told to stop. When my daughter was 15, she had a student teacher in Algebra who made a statement that if 'any girl in there wanted to go get an abortion - she would take them'. I probably broke the land-speed record getting to school to speak with that one. By the very dramatic title of the thread - it looks like the teachers are huddled in the closets praying - I'm sure they are not in there long - but ... who knows. I want teachers to teach the curriculum - I don't want them applying their religious beliefs, espousing personal political beliefs or going into lengthy explanations about their upcoming divorce (3rd visit....) - Just teach and create a safe environment for a child to learn. That's what we pay them for.

Nobody said teachers can't pray...nobody said teachers can't be Christians. However, when you are a representative of a public (read: gov't funded) school...you have no right or reason to be sending out emails with Christian greetings, or making public Christian announcements, or publicly praying at school events.

In other words, hide your light under a bushel while in school?

When I was in high school, I was a part of Navigators for a while. One night I was completely surprised to see this one guy come to the meeting - a guy I grew up with whom I remembered being mean to me in younger years and who had a bit of a rebellious attitude. It turns out he was there because one of our leaders, who was also a coach for the sports team this guy was a part of, led this guy to the Lord earlier while they were out running together. (This was back in the 80's).

Would you have rather the teacher/coach had kept his Chrisitanity to himself and let the student continue on his way to Hell?

What would Jesus say?