nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

We've probably all experienced dissatisfaction with praise music at some time in our lives whether it be radio or our church or whatever. The answer to this dilemna is to make your own!

I used to go to a church where I liked the Pastor's preaching but the music was abysmal. I wondered for a long time whether it was spiritual pride that kept me from "entering in" but decided that it was the distraction of poor quality performances that irritated me.

So I just began shutting the performances out in my mind and worshiping the Lord with a spontaneous melody in my own words while they played the latest sappy song in the background music track of my mind.

In the same way, when you express the music of your heart it doesn't have to be accompanied by anything else. Let your words come out of your mouth and just worship Him no matter what else is happening around you.

Then forgive them for being such a distraction.

I have done exactly the same...and also when I have been listening to a meaningless sermon, I have used the time to make it meaningful by high-lighting something that speaks to me and reading passages around it.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/16/1978

Wow...

I thought it was just me.

What I find is that nowadays we are so used to pre-packaged everything that even when it comes to worship music, we have fixed rules and then i feel manyy of the worship songs add the electric guitar to everything they play....

I can be worshipping fine till i hear the loud electric guitar solo just destroying everything for me. :blink:

Now, I am more of a traditional African American gospel fan, and I truly get turned off by the new "modern" gospel R&B or hip hop that sounds just the same as secualr music and makes you strain your ear to figure out whether the word "Lord" was mentioned or not...

sigh :thumbsup:

I find this thread very funny!!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Thats the only thing I listen to is the modern worship. I cant stand listening to the old stuff im sorry but it bores me.

Guest shiloh357
I totally get that. I have been off worship music for a while now. I really do get that concert feeling when I listen to it. Like it was designed to be entertaining to me and not worship for Him.

cant it be both? should not worshiping Him also be entertaining (i.e. uplifting) to us?

Worship is not supposed to be for our benefit. It we are worshipping to lift ourselves up, that is idolatry.

Most of the modern worship stuff doesn't even mention the name Jesus. The songs are sound more like what you would sing to your spouse or a girlfriend and not to God.

It is not surprising. The Christian record labels were bought up by secular companies and the "Christian" stuff they produced is designed to be able to cross over.

The older worship songs put out by Integrity were actually based on Scripture and in many cases were direct quotes from Scripture. We don't see that much any more. There are a few, but not near enough. Even the old hymns had some good theology in them, but they have been all but trash canned.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Wow - I am coming to discover new sounds of worship coming out that are getting back on track.

Kathy Williams

Ian McIntosh

Misty Edwards