IGNORED

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

~Shalhevet~

In the instance of honoring Father and Mother, that was just and example, and I will admit it was a poor one. I have never seen a Christian trying to conjure up the dead in the New Testament, so I suppose that is ok?
Again, you are comparing two different things. A Christian would do not that.

I am simply looking at the instance where someone was guilty of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, and what they were doing in defining what the sin was. Jesus had cast our a devil through the power of the Spirit, and he was accused of doing so by the power of the devil.
Yes, but there is more to it than that. The people who were making that accusation were already steeped in their unbelief and rejection of Jesus. Furthermore, Jesus accused them of "BLASPHEMY" which is something done to injure God's reputation in the full knowledge of the truth. The point being was that they KNEW it was the Holy Spirit operating in Jesus, and that fact made them hate Him all the more. They purposefully and knowlingly blapshemed the Holy Spirit in order to discredit Jesus. They hated Jesus BECAUSE He was the Messiah and BECAUSE He was operating by the Holy Spirit. They could not refute Him, so their only option was to demonize Him. Blasphemy is a sin that has its roots in unbelief, but it is a wilful unbelief. They fully understood what they were doing. Their act of blasphemy was not a one-time event. It was the product of continual, ongoing rejection of Christ. Blashpemy of the Holy Spirit was only ONE manifestation of that.

As such, if I see someone casting out a devil successfully, and I attribute it to the power of the devil, I am doing the same thing they did, or at least I am in danger of doing so. I might do this because I don't believe in the person's ministry, rather than because of unbelief in God? The religious crowd in Jesus' day believed in Jehovah, but either rejected Jesus or were trying to turn the people away from him to protect their positions. A Christian could commit this sin.
That is the common, modern "Pentacostal" misunderstanding of this sin.

If blasphemy of the Holy Spirit were so important to Christians, Paul and the other apostles should have discussed it in their epistles, as many of the gospels were written years after the epistles. if they were worried about Christians committing that sin, they would have made sure to discuss it and warn people against it. They did not have the gospels to refer to until late their ministries and could not take for granted that every Christian in their day would have had a copy of any of the gospels, much less assume that they would have had paid special attention to the chapters on blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. The absence of any mention of this sin demonstrates that a Christian is never danger of committing that sin.

The things you said about the religious leaders is true, but you are only giving your opinion when you absolutely claim that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit requires one be in unbelief, that they do so knowingly, and that they could only commit this sin while Jesus was on earth. There is no way I can say 100 percent you are correct or incorrect because no absolute definition is given. I could never feel confident enough you are correct to hold to that opinion.

As for your other point, there was an ongoing Christian ministry taking place, people having church services. We only have letters written to address specific problems that were taking place in the churches and to give instructions. There is no way to know if the topic of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was discussed in local congregations. People are discussing this topic all the time around here, and I have heard it mentioned in church before.

.... If blasphemy of the Holy Spirit were so important to Christians, Paul and the other apostles should have discussed it in their epistles, as many of the gospels were written years after the epistles. if they were worried about Christians committing that sin, they would have made sure to discuss it and warn people against it. They did not have the gospels to refer to until late their ministries and could not take for granted that every Christian in their day would have had a copy of any of the gospels, much less assume that they would have had paid special attention to the chapters on blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. The absence of any mention of this sin demonstrates that a Christian is never danger of committing that sin....

Amen! It Never Fails To Comfort Me As I See Throughout These Astonishing Love Letters From God

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

The Mighty Holy Spirit Of The Living God Consistently Pointing

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:7

Away From Putting Any Trust In The Ways Of Man

There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. Proverbs 16:25

And From The Indwelling Of Sin

Of sin, because they believe not on me; John 16:9

And Toward Trusting

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalms 1:1-2

The LORD

The LORD redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate. Psalms 34:22

Alone

I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. Isaiah 43:11

>>>>>()<<<<<

To Blaspheme The Holy Spirit Is (IMO) To Mock His Testimony Of The Lordship

Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding? Isaiah 29:16

And The Amazing Grace Of Jesus The Messiah

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Timothy 3:16

By Choosing The Continuation Of Sin

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. Hebrews 6:4-6

Over His Worship

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:11

A Terminal Choice Indeed

And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? Revelation 6:14-17

>>>>>()<<<<<

Dear Family This Is A Wonderful Discussion Thread Of The Power Of God

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 1 Peter 1:22-23

And The Death Spiral Of Sin

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:13-15

>>>>>()<<<<<

May God Always Win

And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. Genesis 32:23-24

And His Children Always Be Blessed

And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.

And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. Genesis 32:26-29

Forevermore

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

Amen!

One thing I would hope we could agree on is that it is a terrible thing to blaspheme God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit.

One thing I would hope we could agree on is that it is a terrible thing to blaspheme God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit.

Amen!

For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life:

and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life;

but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:34-36

Guest shiloh357
The things you said about the religious leaders is true, but you are only giving your opinion when you absolutely claim that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit requires one be in unbelief, that they do so knowingly, and that they could only commit this sin while Jesus was on earth.
Wrong. I am arguing from the following platforms, none of which are "opinion."

1. Context. There is NO biblical context for a Christian to commit that sin. Furthermore, there is no context of that sin being committed even by sinners outside the ministry of Christ.

2. The pharisees who committed that sin were unbelievers and they were steeped in their rejection of Christ. They were in an ongoing continual state of rejection and unbelief. That is fact, not opinion. The only time that sin was committed was when the people committing that sin were in that spiritual condition.

3. I am operating from the definition of blashemy. Blasphemy is an attempt to injure God's reputation. One does not slander or injure the reputation of another person unknowingly. Even in our modern courts, such an act is deemed a crime and is punishible under law. Blasphemy is a form of slander committed knowingly against God.

Therefore, for Jesus to accuse His enemies of blasphemy, it means they did what they did knowingly and on purpose.

There is no way I can say 100 percent you are correct or incorrect because no absolute definition is given. I could never feel confident enough you are correct to hold to that opinion.

If i were offering an opinion, you could say that. I am going completely off of the text of Scripture.

As for your other point, there was an ongoing Christian ministry taking place, people having church services. We only have letters written to address specific problems that were taking place in the churches and to give instructions. There is no way to know if the topic of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was discussed in local congregations.
That is an argument from silence. If Christians could fall to a sin that no amount of repentence could bring forgivness and end up sending them to hell, that would be THE most important issue to cover other than salvation itself. The fact that it is not covered in the epistles demonstrates that it is not a danger for Christians.

People are discussing this topic all the time around here, and I have heard it mentioned in church before.

The things you said about the religious leaders is true, but you are only giving your opinion when you absolutely claim that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit requires one be in unbelief, that they do so knowingly, and that they could only commit this sin while Jesus was on earth.
Wrong. I am arguing from the following platforms, none of which are "opinion."

1. Context. There is NO biblical context for a Christian to commit that sin. Furthermore, there is no context of that sin being committed even by sinners outside the ministry of Christ.

2. The pharisees who committed that sin were unbelievers and they were steeped in their rejection of Christ. They were in an ongoing continual state of rejection and unbelief. That is fact, not opinion. The only time that sin was committed was when the people committing that sin were in that spiritual condition.

3. I am operating from the definition of blashemy. Blasphemy is an attempt to injure God's reputation. One does not slander or injure the reputation of another person unknowingly. Even in our modern courts, such an act is deemed a crime and is punishible under law. Blasphemy is a form of slander committed knowingly against God.

Therefore, for Jesus to accuse His enemies of blasphemy, it means they did what they did knowingly and on purpose.

There is no way I can say 100 percent you are correct or incorrect because no absolute definition is given. I could never feel confident enough you are correct to hold to that opinion.

If i were offering an opinion, you could say that. I am going completely off of the text of Scripture.

As for your other point, there was an ongoing Christian ministry taking place, people having church services. We only have letters written to address specific problems that were taking place in the churches and to give instructions. There is no way to know if the topic of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was discussed in local congregations.
That is an argument from silence. If Christians could fall to a sin that no amount of repentence could bring forgivness and end up sending them to hell, that would be THE most important issue to cover other than salvation itself. The fact that it is not covered in the epistles demonstrates that it is not a danger for Christians.

People are discussing this topic all the time around here, and I have heard it mentioned in church before.

Let me ask you a question Shiloh. You said that in order to blaspheme God, you have to do something to harm his reputation. Is using the Lord's name in vain blasphemy? At Facebook, there is a page that uses the F word before the name of Jesus. Is that blasphemy, even though simply using a bad word in front of his name doesn't really injur his reputation? Perhaps we have a difference of opinion as to what blasphemy is? :noidea:

Again, the early church had on-going services, and there is no way to know if that topic was discussed. Once the Bible was completed, we have the teaching on blasphemy against the Holy Spirit in the gospels, so it isn't necessary for it to be repeated over and over again. The fact so many people are scared of committing that sin shows just mentioning it in the gospels was enough to put the fear of God in people. I know I don't need to be told twice to understand how serious this is.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

Butero, i think your arguing with Calvinist thinking. They cant lose their salvation so the Holy Spirit in them couldnt let them blaspheme as that would amount to the same thing. Its cirular thinking that youll never convince them unless theyre willing to give up OSAS.

As for me i believe we can lose our salvation if we deliberatley sin after God has entirely sanctified us, but i dont know any today who have this or even believe it possible. As for blashemy of the Holy Spirit, Jesus spelled out what it was when the Pharisee`s accused Him of demon posession, also i think its moderate to say Ananias and Sapphira also committed this by lying to the Holy Spirit when questioned by the holy Apostles.

Butero, i think your arguing with Calvinist thinking. They cant lose their salvation so the Holy Spirit in them couldnt let them blaspheme as that would amount to the same thing. Its cirular thinking that youll never convince them unless theyre willing to give up OSAS.

:thumbsup:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to see that.

Guest shiloh357

As for me i believe we can lose our salvation if we deliberatley sin after God has entirely sanctified us, but i dont know any today who have this or even believe it possible. As for blashemy of the Holy Spirit, Jesus spelled out what it was when the Pharisee`s accused Him of demon posession, also i think its moderate to say Ananias and Sapphira also committed this by lying to the Holy Spirit when questioned by the holy Apostles.

This is not an OSAS issue. I did not say a person could blaspheme God and remain saved. I said that it is impossible for a believer to commit a sin that requires one to be in unbelief for them to commit the sin. If you actually bother read what I said, I made the point that there is no example of a Christian committing that sin.

Lying to the Holy Spirit is not the same as blasphemy. Blasphemy is when you attempt to injure God's reputation. It is a form of slander. Lying to someone is not in any fashion the same as slandering them in public. So your Annas and Saphria comment is simply off base. It would behoove you to actually learn what terms mean instead of thinking you can apply them to just anything you want to.

Guest shiloh357
Let me ask you a question Shiloh. You said that in order to blaspheme God, you have to do something to harm his reputation. Is using the Lord's name in vain blasphemy? At Facebook, there is a page that uses the F word before the name of Jesus. Is that blasphemy, even though simply using a bad word in front of his name doesn't really injur his reputation? Perhaps we have a difference of opinion as to what blasphemy is?
No that is not blasphemy. Blasphemy is form of slander. Slander is when I falsely accuse someone of something bad in order to injure their reputation. If you falsely accused someone of a horrible thing in public we call that defamation of character or slander. If you do it in print, it is called libel.

Blasphemy is slander/libel against God. It is not just taking His Name in vain. It is a deliberate attempt to falsely attribute something sinful to God. In this case it was the Pharisees who accused the Holy Spirit of being a demon and accused Jesus' act of casting out demons as being the work of the prince of demons.

Again, the early church had on-going services, and there is no way to know if that topic was discussed.
Yet, something that could potentiallly lead to the loss of salvation would be important enough to be included in the epistles we have.

Once the Bible was completed, we have the teaching on blasphemy against the Holy Spirit in the gospels, so it isn't necessary for it to be repeated over and over again.
So why are most of the teachings of Jesus repeated in the Episltes? Why is it that most of everything else Jesus taught in the gospels are also found in the gospels? Sorry, but your logic doesn't hold water.

The fact so many people are scared of committing that sin shows just mentioning it in the gospels was enough to put the fear of God in people. I know I don't need to be told twice to understand how serious this is.
The problem is that this kind of sin were it possible to be committed by Christians, would be the most important thing to mention. In the 1st Century, the apostles could not take for granted that the people will get around to reading the "gospels" as the gospels were not written until AFTER most of the epistles were written.

We seem to fail to grasp the fact that the early 1st century believers did not have the luxury of a complete Bible and they certainly did not have the luxury of a personal copy they could keep in their homes to peruse and study like we do. To think that they would have read the gospels as we do is simply inaccurate.