• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

Big-time traffickers who smuggle illegal immigrants into the U.S. from Mexico rely on GPS devices to evade the Border Patrol, but starting in June, border-jumpers who travel on their own can have protection, too. Three University of California, San Diego faculty members have designed inexpensive cell phones with special software to locate water, churches and medical facilities in the treacherous Southwest desert (while avoiding law enforcement) and will give the devices to Mexican charities. The phones, which will also feature "welcome to the U.S." poetry, are expected to save the lives of many of the hundreds who die each year on their dangerous journeys, but illegal-immigration protesters are demanding that the academics be arrested for assisting in crimes. [uSA Today-AP, 12-29-09]

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

The Ivory Tower strikes again.

i can't even begin to tell you how much that angers me. those who are giving these cell phones out that help people evade law enforcement should be tried and convicted of treason.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Even though people disagree, saving lives is the right thing to do, no matter who, where or when. The world is already far from what it was when I was a child, and it will continue to change even after I die. From what I have read, the North American Continent will become the North American Union, the same way Europe is becoming the EU. I am not a conspiracy nut, but I do see some truth in what they say.

no, providing a means for people to intentionally break the law is never the right thing to do.

encouraging them to NOT break the law is the right thing to do.

the illegal immigrants staying on their own soil until they can come over legally is the right thing to do, and guess what? it saves lives.

and since so many deaths occur as a result of the actions of many of these illegal immigrants once they get here, i'd say that helping them break the law to get here is not really saving any lives, in the long run.

no, providing a means for people to intentionally break the law is never the right thing to do.

encouraging them to NOT break the law is the right thing to do.

the illegal immigrants staying on their own soil until they can come over legally is the right thing to do, and guess what? it saves lives.

and since so many deaths occur as a result of the actions of many of these illegal immigrants once they get here, i'd say that helping them break the law to get here is not really saving any lives, in the long run.

LadyC, they will come anyway. Tell me, if you saw someone dying of thirst in the desert that was trying to come here illegally, and you had water, would you sneer at them for their actions or would you give them a drink?

i'd give them all they wanted to drink as i drove them back to the border, or to the INS office.

it doesn't matter that they will come anyway. you do not make it easier for them to break laws. providing devices that help them avoid law enforcement is no different than smuggling them across the border in your personal vehicle.

would you do that onelight? would you drive to mexico, load them up in your pickup and throw a tarp over it to sneak them over?

i'd give them all they wanted to drink as i drove them back to the border, or to the INS office.

it doesn't matter that they will come anyway. you do not make it easier for them to break laws. providing devices that help them avoid law enforcement is no different than smuggling them across the border in your personal vehicle.

would you do that onelight? would you drive to mexico, load them up in your pickup and throw a tarp over it to sneak them over?

No, I would not. I would not offer them any assistance to break any law, but that is not what I was trying to get across. My first comment was "Even though people disagree, saving lives is the right thing to do, no matter who, where or when." Then I went on to remark how the world has changed and will continue to change. Not once did I say I was in agreement with anyone giving them technology to break a law. I believe that you are so against them being here that you read your thoughts into my post. For not being more clear, I apologize. :cool:

and my apologies for misunderstanding :cool:

yes, i'm very definitely opposed to them being here illegally. i make no bones about it. and while saving lives is the right thing to do, helping anyone break the law is not... even if they justify it with the fact that yes, the law's gonna get broken anyway. and you're right, it will. i'm glad you disagree with those who provide such technology!

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.91
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Even though people disagree, saving lives is the right thing to do, no matter who, where or when. The world is already far from what it was when I was a child, and it will continue to change even after I die. From what I have read, the North American Continent will become the North American Union, the same way Europe is becoming the EU. I am not a conspiracy nut, but I do see some truth in what they say.

Lead them to Border Patrol water stations. That saves lives.

Are you teaching your children to speak Spanish? Won't be long til English is a second language. Viva la Raza!