• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I've always been interested in the Tallit Jews wear during their prayers ever since I read in the Bible about it and the color blue which signifies the commandments of the Lord which Moses brought to them from Sinai (Numbers 15:37-41). Which traditionally, Jewish Rabbi's said to be written on blue tablets because the stones were made from sapphire stone came from Heaven's Throne.

Anyway, I've always been interested in it. I've seen a certain Christian man wearing a tallit recently and I was wondering. In following the teachings of the Bible. How are we Christians to wear such a prayer shawl if we want to? I noticed that Jewish men wear it on their heads however, I know that Paul said that women should wear a head covering (not tallit) and that men should not. Yet Paul was a Jewish man himself... so did he stop wearing a the tallit? I feel that the Holy Spirit is telling me yes.. but I want to confirm it with you all because I'm new to learning (exclusively) from the Holy Spirit and want to make sure I'm listening to the right voice...

But if I choose to wear a tallit, would it be a shame to put to over my head?

1 Corinthians 11:3-16

3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. 7A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.

11In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God. 13Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't know either, Blien - but all I know is that this is the way the Jews pray - with the Tallit over their heads.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  287
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/07/1967

Blien: what benefit do you think you will receive from wearing this item?

Guest shiloh357
I've always been interested in the Tallit Jews wear during their prayers ever since I read in the Bible about it and the color blue which signifies the commandments of the Lord which Moses brought to them from Sinai (Numbers 15:37-41). Which traditionally, Jewish Rabbi's said to be written on blue tablets because the stones were made from sapphire stone came from Heaven's Throne.

Anyway, I've always been interested in it. I've seen a certain Christian man wearing a tallit recently and I was wondering. In following the teachings of the Bible. How are we Christians to wear such a prayer shawl if we want to? I noticed that Jewish men wear it on their heads however, I know that Paul said that women should wear a head covering (not tallit) and that men should not. Yet Paul was a Jewish man himself... so did he stop wearing a the tallit? I feel that the Holy Spirit is telling me yes.. but I want to confirm it with you all because I'm new to learning (exclusively) from the Holy Spirit and want to make sure I'm listening to the right voice...

But if I choose to wear a tallit, would it be a shame to put to over my head?

1 Corinthians 11:3-16

3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

That's very interesting information, Shiloh.

Thank-you!

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

That's very interesting information, Shiloh.

Thank-you!

Ditto. Very interesting Shiloh!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

For that reason, it would be reproach to a Jewish person if you wear the tziottziot and eat a ham sandwich.

That's like working for Coca Cola and being caught drinking a Pepsi in your uniform. :noidea:

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

LOL Matt, that's true hahaha

Shiloh, thanks for imparting your knowledge I really appreciate it. The reason why I wanted to wear a Tallit, has nothing to do with being observant to the Torah but rather I heard a comment about it which matched my experience. This whole year and I think partly in December, I've been wearing a hoodie at home. And whenever I am in prayer by my bed or something, I always put my hood on. It's not that I'm trying to be religious but that as you said with some Jewish men, do it for privacy and for concentration.

Now a while ago I was watching Sid Roth's show, It's Supernatural!, and a lady came on that show talking about some supernatural encounters she had. At one point, she said that she did a strange thing in her eyes, that she went into a room took off her jacket and put it over her head to pray to G-d. Then Sid Roth (being Jewish) explained about the Tallit, how it is sort of like a prayer closet and that even today Jews put it over their heads in the same way to spend private time with G-d.

So that really caught my attention. I put on my hood too when I'm in prayer so that I cover my face and pray. Sometimes I just put my hands on my face and pray (this is a sign of mourning in my country Eritrea but I dont do it for that reason either). Anyway, the point is, I wanted to know if a head covering is not recommended in our faith and in front of the eyes of the Almighty but now I think I understand!

Thanks a lot for sharing!