• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

Haz,

You seem to be emphasizing the aspect of the three Persons of the Triune God to the detriment of their oneness. Could you please also emphasize their oneness as well? Doing such would help us to eliminate the possibility of the error of Tritheism.

Certainly reads as Tritheism . . .

Common sense tells us that Jesus was not asking the Father to make all of His disciples, His followers "one" as in omnibody, as most fundamental Christians believe and teach He and the Father to be? He was asking the Father to keep us all "one" in unity as he and the Father, and the Holy Spirit are in unity.

Each with their own "spirit body?" And that can be found in which verse Haz?

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Haz,

You seem to be emphasizing the aspect of the three Persons of the Triune God to the detriment of their oneness. Could you please also emphasize their oneness as well? Doing such would help us to eliminate the possibility of the error of Tritheism.

Certainly reads as Tritheism . . .

Common sense tells us that Jesus was not asking the Father to make all of His disciples, His followers "one" as in omnibody, as most fundamental Christians believe and teach He and the Father to be? He was asking the Father to keep us all "one" in unity as he and the Father, and the Holy Spirit are in unity.

Each with their own "spirit body?" And that can be found in which verse Haz?

Jesus, who was the Word, (John 1;1), became flesh and died for man. The Father never became flesh. The Father remained in Heaven. That makes 2 persons in the Godhead. Jesus said, "My Father is greater than I" (John 14:28). "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God" (1 Cor 11:3).

The Father cannot be greater than Himself neither can He be over Himself. He also could not raise Himself from the dead if He was in fact Jesus who truly died, and being fully dead, raise Himself from the dead. It was the Father who was in Heaven who raised Jesus from the dead.

Acts 13:29-30, "And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. But God raised him from the dead:" GOD THE FATHER RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD. Jesus never raised Himself? The Father, if He was Jesus and dead could not raise Himself.

"The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree." (Acts 5:30).

The Father is in Heaven. Jesus prayed 18 times whilst on Earth, "My Father who is in Heaven." Jesus knew what He was talking about and who He was talking to and where the person He was talking to was.

Jesus, in His glorified and resurected spirit body, sits beside the Father in Heaven, whilst the Holy Spirit was sent by the Father and Jesus, to the Earth.

Jesus now sits beside His Father in Heaven "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God" (Mark 16:19); "Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God" (Luke 22:69). How Jesus can sit beside the Father in Heaven in His glorified flesh and bone body, and the Father in His Spirit body, and we must believe neither has a body is just plain silly teaching which can not be supported by any Scripture.

As the Word Jesus had no beginning (John 1:1), but as a flesh and bone man He did have a beginning, and He will remain flesh and bone for the rest of eternity, "And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends" (Zech. 13:6). For people to be able to see the scars on Jesus body for all eternity, He must have a body spearate from the Father. The two cannot be "one" other than in unity.

There are Heavenly bodies, and Earthly bodies, everything living being has its own body according to Scripture, NOT ME?.

"But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come? Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die: And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain: But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body. All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds. There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another" (1 Cor. 15-35-41).

"It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly" (1 Cor. 15:44-49)

Jesus must be a lier if He has no body, because he said to Thomas and the disciples, "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have" (Luke 24:39). He later ascended up to Heaven where HE SITS AT HIS FATHERS RIGHT HAND? "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God" (Mark 16:19). "Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God" (Luke 22:69).

It is prophesied in Zechariah that Jesus will have the scares which He recieved on the Earth, ON HIS BODY for all eternuity! "And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends" (Zech. 13:6).

Jesus in His glorified flesh and bone body in Heaven, sitting at His Fathers right hand? The Father in His spirit body; ["God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth" (John 4:24)], sitting beside Jesus!

The Father and Jesus sent the Holy Spirit. He is here now. He is not some fog like nothingness, floating about the earth comforting people? He is as real and tangible as you and I. Jesus said; "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:" (John 15:26). One cannot send ones self, "He," or testifiy of ones self?

If these many Scriptures dont do it for you, nothing will. Keep reading them with an honest and open heart asking the Holy Spirit who was sent here to the Earth by the Father and Jesus to help you grasp it.

"God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee." (Acts 13:33).

"But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;" (Romans 4:24).

"But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you." (Romans 8:11).

God the Father was not the Word, did not become flesh, and did not die, and did not raise Himself from the dead. Before Jesus left the disciples he said The Father and He would send "ANOTHER," another what? They would send the Holy Spirit. Who is still here on the Earth whilst the Father and Jesus are together in Heaven.

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;" (John 14:16).

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (John 14:26).

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:" (John 15:26).

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you." (John 16:7).

Jesus, in His Glorified flesh and bone body now is beside the Father who is a Spirit being whith a Spirit body just as any other spirit beings have such as angels etc,. The Holy Spirit is on the Earth. So common sense plus all the dozens of Scriptures plainly show that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit are three seperate and distinct members of the Godhead and are all called God.

God the Father in Heaven with God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit on the Earth.

God does not expect sane men to believe He was talking to Himself like some delusional schizophrenic when in fact Scriptures clearly teaches that "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1;1), and this is who he was talking to when He said the things outlined in the Scriptures below.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:" (Gen. 1:26).

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:" (Gen. 3:22).

"Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech." (Gen. 11:7).

Its learned men who tend to complicate things not ordinary bible students. The Bible was written by God to be understood by the simple, "At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes" (Matt. 11:25).

"In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight. All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him." (Luke 10:21-22).

"For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe." (1 Cor. 19:19-21).

In John 14:16-17, 26 ; 15:26 ; 16:7-15, the Holy Spirit is spoken of as "Another" Comforter (helper), who could not be sent until Christ had gone back to Heaven and was glorified John 7:37-39 ; Acts 2:33-36, but would be sent as a separate person from the Father and Son. The Greek allos, like the English another, means another of the same kind, but different from, not the same one, distinct from another, and one more, as proved every place where such word is used Matt. 2:12 ; 8:9 ; 13:24, 31, 33 ; 21:33 ; 26:7. Ohterwise the passages would not make sense.

Common sense alone demands us to understand that when the word "another" is used it means two or more. It is used of the Father as being "another" from the Son, John 5:32. If the Spirit is "another" from the Son who promised Him, and "another" from the Father who sent Him; and if the Father was "another" from the Son, there must be three distinct persons in the Godhead and all three can be and are called "God." All three persons are distinguished from each other by the word "another" in John 5:3 ; 14:16.

A clear distinction is made between "the name of the Father" and "of the Son" and "of the Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19. All three have separate and personal names by which they are known, as is clear from this passage and many others.

A clear distinction is made between the Son who prays, and the Father to whom He prays and "another Comforter" for whom He prays, who was given in answer to prayer, and who came from the Father and the Son as our "Helper" John 14:16. A clear distinction is made between Jesus who went away as one distinct person, Acts 1:11, and the Holy Ghost who came to take His place as "another" distinct person, John 14:16-17, 26 ; 15:26 ; 16:7-15.

A clear distinction is made between the Son who is exalted at the right hand of the Father, and the Father who is on the left hand of the Son, and the Holy Ghost who is sent from the Father and the Son to take the place of Jesus among men, Acts 2:33-26 ; 7:56-59 ; John 14:16-17, 26 ; 15:26 ; 16:7-15 ; Romans 8:34 ; Ephesians 1:20 ; Colossians 3:1 ; Hebrews 1:3 ; 8:1 ; 12:2.

A clear distinction is made between the Son who was already given, Luke 1:35 ; John 3:16, and the Holy Ghost who was not yet given before Jesus was glorified, John 7:37-39 ; Acts 2:33-36 ; 5:31.

A clear distinction is made between the Holy Ghost that came upon Mary and the child that was born of Mary by the Holy Ghost, Matthew 1:18-25 ; Luke 1:32-35.

A clear distinction is made between the Son who can be blasphemed with forgiveness possible and the Holy Ghost who cannot b blasphemed with forgiveness, Matthew 12:31-32 ; Mark 3:29-30 ; Luke 12:10. If the Son and the Holy Ghost were not two distinct persons they could not be blasphemed with different results. A third person, the Father, must have understood in such forgiveness for itis the Father that forgives men as the head of the Godhead, 1 Corinthians 11:3 ; Matthew 6:9-15 ; 18:35 ; Ephesians 4:23.

A clear distinction is made between Jesus who was bodily in Mary's womb and the Holy Ghost who was not bodily in Mary's womb, and who filled other, Luke 1:15, 39-41, 67-79.

A clear distinction is made between Jesus outside of the womb of Mary and the Holy Ghost who filled and baptized Mary 33 years later at Pentecost, Acts 1:14 ; 2:1-4. The same distinction is made in the case of disciples at Pentecost: The Holy Ghost came and filled and battized them while the Son was at that time "exalted at the right hand of the Father in Heaven, Acts 2:1-4, 33-36. The same distinction is clear in the caseof Steven, Acts 7:56-59 ; Paul, Acts 9:17; and others who were filled and baptized in the Holy Ghost at the time Jesus was in Heaven at the right hand of God, Romans 8:34 ; Ephesians 1:20 ; Hebrews 1:3.

A clear distinction is made between Jesus whom the Samaritans had recieved and the Holy Ghost whom they had not yet recieved, Acts 8:5-25.

A clear distinction is made between Jesus who was once powerless to do miracles and the Holy Ghost who annointed Him at thirty years of age to do miricles, John 2:11 ; Acts 10:38 ; Isaiha 11:1-2 ; 42:1-5 ; 61: 1-2 ; Luke 4:18-21 ; Matthew 3:16-17.

A clear distinction is also made between the Son who was "anointed," and the Father who sent the Spirit to anoint Him, and the Holy Ghost Himself who did the anointing, Matthew 3:16-17 ; Acts 10:38; Isaiah 11:1-2 ; 42:1-5 ; 61:1-2 ; Luke 4:18-21.

The Holy Ghost is distinguished from Christ by the fact that Jesus said, "He shall not SPEAK OF HIMSELF," but "He shall glorify ME" John 16"13-15.

The Godhead consists of three separate and distinct persons This fact is stated in the Scriptures:

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the FATHER, THE WORD, AND THE HOLY GHOST: and THESE THREE ARE ONE." 1 John 5:7. And there are THREE that bare witness in the Earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood; and these THREE agree in "one" If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son., 1 John 5:7-8.

Haz.

The Godhead consists of three separate and distinct persons This fact is stated in the Scriptures:

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the FATHER, THE WORD, AND THE HOLY GHOST: and THESE THREE ARE ONE." 1 John 5:7. And there are THREE that bare witness in the Earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood; and these THREE agree in "one" If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son., 1 John 5:7-8.

The above was never written by John . . . that's a fact.

Hate to say this . . . but check a New International Version, or an American Standard Version, or a Bible in Basic English Version, or Darby' Translation, or Montgomery's New Testament, or a Revised Standard Version, or a Twentieth Century New Testament, or a World English Translation, or a Weymouths New Testament.

The three that bare witness in the earth are testifying to the humanity of Christ, not His deity . . . and that He died for our sins as witnessed by the water and blood that flowed from His pierced side.

But you still are grasping the subject of this thread I see lol.

Tell me Haz . . . apparently there are multiple bodies in your Godhead . . . be they flesh or "spirit bodies" I cannot tell for sure what you believe.

But, does Jesus have His own spirit, as well as the Father having His own spirit, each separate from the Holy Spirit's spirit?

:emot-hug:

"The above was never written by John . . . that's a fact."

Who wrote it then? I'm stumped?

There is no way you could possibly have checked and read all and every Scripture posted in such a short time. You are hanging all you know on this doctrin on man invented teaching, not Scripture.

"This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son." (1 John 6-9).

When God said, "THERE ARE THREE that bare record (witness) in HEAVEN, the Father, the Word (Son (John 1:14), and the Holy Ghost; and THESE THREE agree in ONE. AND THERE ARE THREE that bare witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and THESE THREE agree in ONE," He definately said there were THREE SEPARATE PERSONS and TWO SEPARATE THINGS that bare witness in both HEAVEN and EARTH.

The Spirit bares witness in both places. In addition to two or three witnesses in any court there can be any number of THINGS shown to confirm the testimony of the persons who are witness in the case. So here in addition to THREE PERSONS (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost), the "water" and the "blood" confirm the witness of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, that Jesus was and is the Son of God with a flesh body to atone ofr sin and fully redeem man to the Father. There are then THREE witnesses and TWO things that witness in Heaven and Earth to His Sonship: (1) The Father (one person who begat the Son), teh Word (the Son, who was begotten, (John 1:1-2, 14, 18; 3:16-18), the Holy Ghost (the third person who bares witness in both Heaven and Earth and who had the actua lpower of begetting, Luke 1:32-35; Matt. 1:18-25); the water (referring to the water baptism of Christ when witness was givento Him by the Father speaking of Him from Heaven and the Spirit from Heavendecending upon the Son, Matt. 3:16-17; John 1:31-34; 1 John 5:6, 9), and the blood (which was shed to seal and witness the New Testament, Matt. 26:28) The phrases "THESE THREE ARE ONE" and "THESE THREE AGREE IN ONE" mean the same thing as seen in any like expressions in Scripture. In both cases the "THREE" are "ONE" in unity, or to one point that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, not the Father or the Holy Spirit.

The only sense "three" can be "one is in unity, as is clear in John 17:11, 21-23. Three persons cannot be oneperson in number in any sense, but three can beone in unity. The truth is, there were always three distinct and eternal persons unbegotten of each other from all eternity; that only one of these eternal persons of the deity became a man and the Son of another of these eternal Beings by the power of the third; and that one took the headship part, another took the mediative part, and the third took the part of direct operation in the plan of creation and redemption of all things. It was in the plan of the Trinity to take these respective parts long before the plan began to be worked out.

It was predicted that one of the eternal Beings would become the Father, that one would become the Son, and that the other would take the place of direct operation to bring it about. This is why it was written of a certain day this was done (Ps. 2:7; Acts 13:33; Heb.1:5-6; 5:5-10; Isa. 7:14; 9:6-7). This plan was not carried out until the Holy Ghost came upon Mary, as in Matt. 1:18-25; Luke 1:31-35. Paul said in Gal. 4:4-5 that God's Son was :made of a woman, made under the law." According to Heb. 10:5-14 God prepared a body for the second person of the Godhead in which He was to become incarnate, and it was this man that was born of a woman and was called "the Son of God." Hence sonship refers to humanity, not to deity.

"But, does Jesus have His own spirit, as well as the Father having His own spirit, each separate from the Holy Spirit's spirit?"
.Yes, do you want SDcriptures to prove this or will you just laugh this off?

I can give you MANY, believe it or not.

Haz.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

[Jesus, who was the Word, (John 1;1), became flesh and died for man. The Father never became flesh. The Father remained in Heaven. That makes 2 persons in the Godhead. Jesus said, "My Father is greater than I" (John 14:28). "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God" (1 Cor 11:3).

This is actually Tritheism. I don't see how you could get around it, frankly. As the incarnated God Jesus was in a lower state than the Father. This refers to His Sonship as a man, not to His status as "The Only Begotten" Son. Colossians 2:9 clearly states that all the fullness of the Godhead dwells in Jesus bodily. There is no division in the Godhead. Either Jesus was the fullness of the Godhead or He was not.

The Father cannot be greater than Himself neither can He be over Himself. He also could not raise Himself from the dead if He was in fact Jesus who truly died, and being fully dead, raise Himself from the dead. It was the Father who was in Heaven who raised Jesus from the dead.

Acts 13:29-30, "And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. But God raised him from the dead:" GOD THE FATHER RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD. Jesus never raised Himself? The Father, if He was Jesus and dead could not raise Himself.

"The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree." (Acts 5:30).

Again, this is all referring to Jesus as the incarnated Son of God. Phil. 2:5-8 clearly shows that The Only Begotten Son took the form of a man, and in so doing lowered His status according to His authority, and yet not according to His divinity. Jesus Christ was the embodiment of the full God, not just part of God, and not as a separate god. The Father, Son and Spirit can never be divided from one another. When one speaks the others speak as well, and when one moves the others move as well.

I think the majority of your post repeats the same essential error. That being the misunderstanding and misapplication of Jesus as the Son of God on the earth and His being the Only Begotten Son in eternity. This is actually not an unusual problem, but it is one that the earth church fathers had to work out. On the one hand, yes, Jesus as the Son of God, is separate from the Father. And yet on the other hand Scripture reveals that He was the Father and the Spirit at the same time. This is the aspect of their oneness. Many read verses such as Isa. 9:6 and 2 Cor. 3:17 and argue that the Son cannot be the Father or that He cannot be the Spirit. They then contend that people who teach such things are modalists (The opposite of Tritheism). And yet the verses clearly point out that He is the Father, Son and Spirit - all at the same time.

As an example, in John 14 it's the entire Triune God that involves Himself with man in salvation. In verse 7 He says, "If you have known me you have known the Father." In verse 9 He says, "If you have seen me you have seen the Father." In verses 1011 He says that the Father dwells in Him and that He dwells in the Father (present tense). Then in verse 12 it says that He is going to the Father. How can Jesus go to the Father if the Father is in Him and He is in the Father? It's a mystery! The Father is in Him and yet He goes to the Father!

Moving on: In verse 20 He is in the Father and yet He will be living in us. Yet is it only the Son who indwells the believers? No. According to verses 16 and 17 it's also the Spirit, the Comforter who lives in us. Then in verse 23 it's also the Son and the Father who lives in the believers. Thus, the entire Triune God lives in the believers. How is this possible? Isn't the Son in a "spirit body" on the throne? Yes. Isn't the Father also on the throne? Yes. So how can the entire Triune God be in all the believers both individually and corporately at the same time as being on the throne? The answer is: He just is. He can be, because He's God.

So likewise, on the one hand He can be the Father in the Son, the Son as the Father, the Son as the Spirit; and also each Person of th Godhead can be distinct. It's called "The twofoldness of divine truth." It's a truth incomprehensible by our limited faculties, and yet we must affirm that the Scriptures teach a balanced view of both. Neither extreme is true and yet they both are true at the same time.

"The above was never written by John . . . that's a fact."

Who wrote it then? I'm stumped?

There is no way you could possibly have checked and read all and every Scripture posted in such a short time. You are hanging all you know on this doctrin on man invented teaching, not Scripture.

Haz, it is not necessary for me to

Sorry, I thought you were laughing at me when you wrote;

"But you still are grasping the subject of this thread I see lol."

Lol means laugh out loud doesn't it?

The Bible teaches that angels, seraphims, cherubims, and all spirit beings have bodies, souls, and spirits like man. Angels have been seen with the eyes of men, men have seen God face to face. They have always appeared as men in real spirit bodies. They have bodily parts and can do all things that men can do. They can wage physical combat, they can be bound in chains and confined to material places. They have feelings and passions. They drive horses, keep gates, and do many things men can do. If they are spirit beings and have bodies, soul passions, and spirit faculties, why would God not have a real spirit body with soul passions and spirit faculties and still be a divine being?

The spirit is that invisible part of all living beings that knows -- the seat of ones intellect, mind, and will, and that which gives one self-determination and makes one a free moral agent and a rational being (1 Cor. 2:11; Matt. 26:41; Exodus 35:21; Job 38:8, 18; Prov. 20:27; Phil. 1:27; Heb. 4:12; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23).

The Bible teaches that unsaved men do not have God's Spirit in them (Rom. 8:9-16; 1 Cor. 12:13; 2 Cor. 1:22; 6:16-18; Gal. 3:2-5; 4:6; Eph. 1:13; 2 Tim. 1:7; 1 John 4:4-6); that there is a difference between the natural spirit of man and beasts (Eccl. 3:21) ; that there is a difference between "breath" and "spirit" (Job 34:15; Ps. 19:7; Luke 12:19; 1 Cor. 5:5; 2 Cor. 7:1) ; and that each creature has a separate spirit which is not a part of God (Num. 16:22; 27:17; Eccl. 3:21 ; Ezek. 21:7; Dan. 2:1-3; Mal. 2:15-16; Prov. 16:2; 1 Cor. 2:10-12; 14:32; Heb. 12:9, 23; 1 Thess. 5:23).

If we try to substitute breath for "soul" and "spirit" in all the above passages we can see for ourselves how ridiculous such meanings are.

It is this spirit, the seat of ones intellect, mind, and will, and that which gives one self-determination and makes one a free moral agent and rational beings is the same spirit which God speaks of when He made statements like;

"And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years." (Gen 6:3).

And Jesus said; " And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, He said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, He gave up the ghost." (Luke 23:46).

And Paul; "For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;" (Romans 1:9).

Paul gives us a clear message that we can completly understand God and we can know what He is like. "Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened." (Romans 1:19-21).

If the invisible things and the eternal power and Godhead are CLEARLY SEEN by the visible things that God has made, man included, being made in the image and likeness of God, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:" (Gen.1:26), then taking these plain statements of Scripture as truth we can know exactly what the Godhead is really like. If God can ve CLEARLY SEEN by something visible in this world, the we ask ourselves, what visible thing on Earth gives us a visible picture of aninvisible God? Man would naturally be the visible thing that clearly illustrates the Godhead. Man has a body, soul, and spirit; so if he is the visible thing that clearly illustrates what God is like, then God also must have a personal body, soul, and spirit. If the Godhead consists of three separate and distinct persons, as plainly stated in 1 John 5:7-8, the we are to believe that each person has a personal body, soul, and spirit, as is the case with each man. If there are three persons in the Godhead and they exist as "one," we must understand this oneness to be the same as in the case of several men being one-one in unity, as in John 17:11; 21"23; Matt. 19:5; Heb. 2:11; 1 Cor. 6:17; Acts 4:32.

The Father is called "God" (1 Cor. 8:6) ; the Son is called "God" (Isa. 9:6; Heb. 1:8; John 20:28) ; and the Holy Spirit is called "God" (Acts 5:3-4) ; so all three persons of the Godhead are divine and can be spoken of individually as "God" and collectively as "one God" in the sense of unity. Each one is called "Lord," and collectivelyall three can be called "one Lord" in the same sense of unity. The Father and Sone are both called "Lord" and "God"in the same passages; yet they are clearly distinguished as tow separate persons (Heb. 1:8-9; Ps. 110:1; Gen. 19:24; 1 Cor. 11:3).

Paul speaks of the human flesh-and-bone bodies in the resurrection as being "spiritual" (1 Cor. 15:42-44), and like UNTO HIS GLORIOUS BODY" (Luke 24:39; Phil. 3:20-21); so if human bodies that become spiritualized are still amterial and tangible, then certainly God and other spirits can have bodies just as real and still be spirit beings. The statement God is a spirit John 4:24, does not analize a spirit.

God has a soul. He said, "My soul shall have no pleasure in him" (Heb. 10:38). God's soul is cpable of feeling greef (Gen. 6:6; Judges 10:16), anger (1 Kins 11:9) and even repentance (Gen. 6:6). God can even hate things (Proverbs 6:16).

Sorry, I thought you were laughing at me when you wrote;
"But you still are grasping the subject of this thread I see lol."

Lol means laugh out loud doesn't it?

The Bible teaches that angels, seraphims, cherubims, and all spirit beings have bodies, souls, and spirits like man. Angels have been seen with the eyes of men, men have seen God face to face. They have always appeared as men in real spirit bodies. They have bodily parts and can do all things that men can do. They can wage physical combat, they can be bound in chains and confined to material places. They have feelings and passions. They drive horses, keep gates, and do many things men can do. If they are spirit beings and have bodies, soul passions, and spirit faculties, why would God not have a real spirit body with soul passions and spirit faculties and still be a divine being?

The spirit is that invisible part of all living beings that knows -- the seat of ones intellect, mind, and will, and that which gives one self-determination and makes one a free moral agent and a rational being (1 Cor. 2:11; Matt. 26:41; Exodus 35:21; Job 38:8, 18; Prov. 20:27; Phil. 1:27; Heb. 4:12; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23).

The Bible teaches that unsaved men do not have God's Spirit in them (Rom. 8:9-16; 1 Cor. 12:13; 2 Cor. 1:22; 6:16-18; Gal. 3:2-5; 4:6; Eph. 1:13; 2 Tim. 1:7; 1 John 4:4-6); that there is a difference between the natural spirit of man and beasts (Eccl. 3:21) ; that there is a difference between "breath" and "spirit" (Job 34:15; Ps. 19:7; Luke 12:19; 1 Cor. 5:5; 2 Cor. 7:1) ; and that each creature has a separate spirit which is not a part of God (Num. 16:22; 27:17; Eccl. 3:21 ; Ezek. 21:7; Dan. 2:1-3; Mal. 2:15-16; Prov. 16:2; 1 Cor. 2:10-12; 14:32; Heb. 12:9, 23; 1 Thess. 5:23).

If we try to substitute breath for "soul" and "spirit" in all the above passages we can see for ourselves how ridiculous such meanings are.

It is this spirit, the seat of ones intellect, mind, and will, and that which gives one self-determination and makes one a free moral agent and rational beings is the same spirit which God speaks of when He made statements like;

"And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years." (Gen 6:3).

And Jesus said; " And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, He said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, He gave up the ghost." (Luke 23:46).

And Paul; "For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;" (Romans 1:9).

Paul gives us a clear message that we can completly understand God and we can know what He is like. "Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened." (Romans 1:19-21).

If the invisible things and the eternal power and Godhead are CLEARLY SEEN by the visible things that God has made, man included, being made in the image and likeness of God, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:" (Gen.1:26), then taking these plain statements of Scripture as truth we can know exactly what the Godhead is really like. If God can ve CLEARLY SEEN by something visible in this world, the we ask ourselves, what visible thing on Earth gives us a visible picture of aninvisible God? Man would naturally be the visible thing that clearly illustrates the Godhead. Man has a body, soul, and spirit; so if he is the visible thing that clearly illustrates what God is like, then God also must have a personal body, soul, and spirit. If the Godhead consists of three separate and distinct persons, as plainly stated in 1 John 5:7-8, the we are to believe that each person has a personal body, soul, and spirit, as is the case with each man. If there are three persons in the Godhead and they exist as "one," we must understand this oneness to be the same as in the case of several men being one-one in unity, as in John 17:11; 21"23; Matt. 19:5; Heb. 2:11; 1 Cor. 6:17; Acts 4:32.

The Father is called "God" (1 Cor. 8:6) ; the Son is called "God" (Isa. 9:6; Heb. 1:8; John 20:28) ; and the Holy Spirit is called "God" (Acts 5:3-4) ; so all three persons of the Godhead are divine and can be spoken of individually as "God" and collectively as "one God" in the sense of unity. Each one is called "Lord," and collectivelyall three can be called "one Lord" in the same sense of unity. The Father and Sone are both called "Lord" and "God"in the same passages; yet they are clearly distinguished as tow separate persons (Heb. 1:8-9; Ps. 110:1; Gen. 19:24; 1 Cor. 11:3).

Paul speaks of the human flesh-and-bone bodies in the resurrection as being "spiritual" (1 Cor. 15:42-44), and like UNTO HIS GLORIOUS BODY" (Luke 24:39; Phil. 3:20-21); so if human bodies that become spiritualized are still amterial and tangible, then certainly God and other spirits can have bodies just as real and still be spirit beings. The statement God is a spirit John 4:24, does not analize a spirit.

God has a soul. He said, "My soul shall have no pleasure in him" (Heb. 10:38). God's soul is cpable of feeling greef (Gen. 6:6; Judges 10:16), anger (1 Kins 11:9) and even repentance (Gen. 6:6). God can even hate things (Proverbs 6:16).

I thought you were going to give verses like I asked for, "Again though, just verses dealing with each having their own separate spirit or spiritual essence . . . just like your assertion that they all have their own bodies." Meaning , just Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit having separate spirits . . .

I wasn't asking about, nor were we talking about, angels or anthropomorphisms of God.

:noidea:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I have not found any "teaching" in the Bible that angels are tripartite beings. I think it's important to note that Biblical "teachings" are very specific doctrines or commandments related to God's people. The bible does not "teach" that angels have bodies, souls and spirits. You may be able to draw some inferences from verses in Scripture that may indicate such, but it is not a teaching of the Bible.

The Bible does reveal, and I would argue teach, that the human spirit is designed to contain the Triune God (2 Cor. 4:7; Col. 1:27; Rom. 8:10; 2 Cor. 13:5; Gal. 2:20; 4:19), and to make us partakers of the divine nature (2 Pet. 1:4; Heb. 12:10; 6:4; 3:1). It is for this purpose that man is tripartite (1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 4:12). Since angles have no part, nor can they understand the nature of salvation (1 Pet. 1:12), it is doubtful that they possess spirits at all. Angels are, in their essential nature, spirit, but they are not in any part like God.

The human spirit does not have the faculties of the mind, emotion and will. It does not have a separate will from the human soul, which is the primary functioning center of the human mind, emotion and will. I read the verses you referenced, and while they do indicate that the spirit is connected with the will, they do not say that the spirit is the "seat" of one's will or self determination. So you are really confusing the faculties of the human spirit with the human soul.

Here are the verses related to the human soul: The mind (and it's need for renewing and transformation): Matt. 16:23 Rom. 12:2; Eph. 4:23 (cf. Rom. 8:6) cf. Titus 3:5; 2 Cor. 10:4-5 (indicating that a primary "stronghold" is that of our mind, that our thoughts need to be "taken captive" in obedience to Christ)

The Emotion (primarily lead by the "heart," although the "heart" is sometimes used interchangeably with the spirit, indicating that when the Lord fills our spirit with joy our heart is touched first): Phil. 1:8; 2 Cor. 3:3; Heb. 8:10, 16; Prov. 3:3; 7:3; Rom. 12:15; 2 Cor. 4:1, 16.

The Will: Rom. 7:15-16, 18; John 1:13.

There are many more verses which I could search out, but these should be sufficient for our understanding that the "faculties" of man - his mind with the intellect and reasoning part; the emotion with it's "feeling" part; and the will as the "activation" of the mind's reasoning and the emotion's feeling - are all contained within the human soul, not the human spirit. This point is also made by the Strong's definition of "the Greek "psuche" very clearly.

If the human spirit was designed by God to contain only His Spirit (which is just Himself. More on that later) then it would not be reasonable to say that animals also possess spirits. I think here, and below, we agree on this essential point. That every creature has "breath," which in Hebrew means "animating force" is more reasonable. Every creature is "alive," but not every creature is designed to contain the real "breath of God," which is His Spirit.

This is a conclusion drawn from reason, not from the clear teachings of the Scriptures. Essentially you are taking the verses from Romans 1:19-21 and "hyper-extending" them. You are pushing them to conclude something that is out of the realm of their teaching. While the created things can reveal God's divine attributes (translated "divine characteristics), they cannot manifest God's Godhead and Person. This is actually important to note through the language. In verse 20 the word theiotēs is improperly translated "Godhead" in the KJV. It is more appropriate to translate the term "divine nature" or "divine characteristics." The word for "Godhead" should be as it is in Col. 1:27, which is theotēs. It may seem like a small difference in the language, but it's an important one. One term means "divine nature or characteristics," and the other means "the state or being of divinity." Theotēs literally means "deity," it is God's very Person. The characteristics of God's nature can be verified through the created things; however, the created things cannot manifest God's Godhead and person. Only the living person of Jesus Christ, the Word who is God and who declares God (John 1:1, 18), can express God's Godhead and person, that is, the very God, God Himself.

Being called "Lord" or their aspect of oneness is not a matter of superficial unity. They share in the same nature and essence. I pointed this out somewhat in my last post regarding john 14. It would be impossible for three entirely separate beings to co-inhabit one another and also inhabit all the believers at once. This is where the idea that each Person of the Triune God each has a separate body, soul, and spirit loses coherency. For if each possessed an entirely separate spirit than what is the Holy Spirit? Is there now a Father, a Son, and four Holy Spirits? Or is there one Holy Spirit and three other minor spirits?

In John 10:30 and 17:22 the Greek for for one is...one. It's the number one. The Father and the Son are "one." They are not simply unified in an idea or a purpose, they are intrinsically one - they cannot ever be divided or separate from one another. The same holds true for the Son and the Spirit. There is only One Holy Spirit and the Son is not separate from Him. This is clearly seen in the seven letters to the seven churches in Revelation. To each of the churches the letters begin "says He who..." which is Christ, and end with "Let he who has an ear let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." (Rev. 2:1,7; 2:8,11; 2:12,17; 2:18,29; 3:1,6; 3:7,13; 3:14,22).

I don't think that I need to really get into the theological aspect of hos the three of the Godhead share in the same essence, or how they co-inhere. These are all well-established theological issues which have been and will be disputed in one aspect or another. I think that the Bible clearly reveals that although there are distinctions of Persons there is an essential oneness which we can never truly comprehend or explain; but that which should not be taken to either extreme - either modalism or tritheism. I believe that essentially you are taking the extreme of Tritheism, which divides God to the point that there are actually three separate gods with equal power and authority. Were Tritheism a true Christian tenet then we would all be no different than the pagans who practice pantheism.

I agree that Christ has a tangible "spirit body," but not that angelic beings are likewise. Angelic beings were never resurrected or glorified by the divine essence as Jesus was, and neither will they be.

I think that God can feel, has emotions, is clear from the majority of Scripture. However this point does not necessitate His also having a spirit - or that each member of the Godhead has a separate spirit.

IF God does not have a body, then how do we explain these many Scriptures?

God has a spirit body with bodily parts like a man. This is proved by hundreds of Scriptures that do not need interpretation. God is a Spirit being, infinate, eternal, immutable, self-existent, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, invisible, impartian, imortal, absolutly holy, full of wisdom, full of knowledge, and just in all things. God is known in Scripture by over two hundred names. He is describes as being like any other person as to having a body, soul, and spirit (Job 13:8; Heb. 1:3; Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-7). He is a spirit being with a body (Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-6, 9-19, Exodus 24:11; Gen. 18' 32:24-32; Ezek. 1:26-28; Acts 7:54-59; Rev. 4:2-4; 5:1, 5-7; 22:4-5); shape (John 5:37); form (Phil. 2:5-7, same Greek word as in Mark 16:12, which refers to bodily form); and an image and likeness of a man (Gen. 1:26; 9:6; Ezek. 1:26-28; 1 Cor. 11:7; jas. 3:9; Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-6). Note, the difference between a spirit body and a flesh and blood body is substance. Spirit is an eternal substance, flesh and blood is temporal. And we are to become glorified flesh and blood as Jesus is.

God has a heart (Gen. 6:6; 8:21); he has hands and fingers (Exod. 31:18; Psalms 8:3-6; Rev. 5:1, 6-7); Nostrils (Ps. 18:8); mouth (Num. 12:8); lips and a toung (Isa. 30:27; feet (Ezek. 1:27; Exodus 24:10); eyes, eyelids, sight (Ps. 11:4; 18:24; 33:18); voice (Ps. 29; Rev. 10:3-4; Gen. 1); breath (Gen. 2:70; ears (Ps. 18:6); head, hair, face, arms (Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-19; Rev. 5:1; loins (Ezek. 1:26:28; 8:1-4); bodily presence (Gen. 3:8; 18:1-22; Job 1:6-12; 2:1-7; Exodus 24:10-11); and many other bodily parts as required by Him to be a person with a body.

Jacob saw God FACE TO FACE and lived! "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved" (Gen. 32:30). Abraham made a dinner for God and two angels and they ate food (Gen. 18). Moses talked with God face to face (Exodus 33:11-23). Seventy four elders had a banquet with God in Sinai (Exodus 24:9-11). Joshua and all Israel saw God with a sword in His hand (Josh. 5:13-15).

Gidion (Judg. 6:11-23), Manoah and wife (Judg. 13:3-23), David (1 Chron. 21:16-17), Job (42:5), Isaiah (6:1-13), Amos (9:1), and others saw God standing on the ground, sitting on thrones, and having a body with bodily parts like a man. Ezekiel saw God on a chariot and described Him as having an "appearance of a man" with loins and the upper and lower parts of a body like a man (Ezek 1:26-28; 10:1, 20; 40:3). Daniel saw both God the Father and the Son of man as two separate beiongs at the same time and at the same place. God was on a throne, and had on white cloths, and His hair was white. The Son of man also had a body, had cloths on, and had hair on His head (Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-6). Stephen saw bith God and Christ at the same time and place with thesame eyes (Acts 7:56-59).

God goes from place to place just like any one else (Gen. 3:8; 11:5; 18:1-22, 33; 19:24; 32:24-32; 35:13; Zech. 14:5; Titus 2:13). God is omnipresent but not omnibody, that is His presence can be felt everywhere but His body is not everywhere. God wears cloths (Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-19; God eats food (Gen. 18:1-22; Exodus 24:11).

If Jesus also does not have a body which God the Father raised from the dead then how do we explain these many Scriptures?

"Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have" (Luke 24:39). He ascended up to Heaven where HE SITS AT HIS FATHERS RIGHT HAND? "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God" (Mark 16:19). "Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God" (Luke 22:69).

It is prophesied in Zechariah that Jesus will have the scares which He recieved on the Earth, ON HIS BODY for all eternuity! "And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends" (Zech. 13:6).

Jesus in His glorified flesh and bone body in Heaven, sitting at His Fathers right hand? The Father in His spirit body; ["God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth" (John 4:24)], sitting beside Jesus!

"I agree that Christ has a tangible "spirit body," but not that angelic beings are likewise. Angelic beings were never resurrected or glorified by the divine essence as Jesus was, and neither will they be."

They were created as they are by God, "spirit beings." The are messengers, they have been seen by many people many times.

If angels do not have real tangible spirit bodies that can be seen by men then how do we explain Scriptures like this?

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." (Heb. 13:2).

Haz.