• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Exodus 34:5-7

5 The LORD descended in the cloud and stood there with him as he called upon the name of the LORD. 6 Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; 7 who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."

I'm sure you've all read this verse in the Bible before. This happened when in Exodus 33 Moses asked to see the glory of the Lord. God told him that He would put Moses in the cleft of the rock while all his goodness would pass before him. When the Lord did this, He said his name "THE LORD" and all of the characteristics of Himself was revealed to Moses which we see in the above passage.

Now, I've always thought about what God meant when he said: "visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations." I've heard an explanation of it before but totally forgot. What does it mean? Is it exactly as it says here? Because I can recall two stories in the Bible of men and women of God who had their children lives taken away because of some great sin committed in the past.

• Group:  Royal Member

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,274
  • Content Per Day:  4.82
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

The first time someone in the family accepts Christ as their savior, the curse is broken.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

5 The LORD descended in the cloud and stood there with him as he called upon the name of the LORD. 6 Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; 7 who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."

I'm sure you've all read this verse in the Bible before. This happened when in Exodus 33 Moses asked to see the glory of the Lord. God told him that He would put Moses in the cleft of the rock while all his goodness would pass before him. When the Lord did this, He said his name "THE LORD" and all of the characteristics of Himself was revealed to Moses which we see in the above passage.

Now, I've always thought about what God meant when he said: "visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations." I've heard an explanation of it before but totally forgot. What does it mean? Is it exactly as it says here? Because I can recall two stories in the Bible of men and women of God who had their children lives taken away because of some great sin committed in the past.

I agree with Parker1

(Romans 5:14, ASV) 'Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the likeness of Adam

Even the curse from God? I sincerely disagree. Remember this was a covenant agreement between those who upheld the old testament laws and regulations. The reason we don't suffer the consequences is because we are in the new covenant. The old wineskin has passed away.

And remember... this is one of GOD's attributes also, not a curse....

Exodus 33: 18-20

18 Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory." 19 And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Actually, this principle of "sins of the parents" is a common theme addressed in Christian counseling.

I recall a song my Morgan Cryar called "Break the Chain" that addresses this issue. I found a copy of the song via a Google search. I don't know how to link to the website, but click here to the search results, and it should be the top link and click on "Play song from ilike.com" to listen. Near the end is a poignant line:

"Sometimes sin is just a family tradition...

You certainly didn't want to inherit the flame

and you sure don't want to pass it down

Break the chain."

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,274
  • Content Per Day:  4.82
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Even the curse from God? I sincerely disagree. Remember this was a covenant agreement between those who upheld the old testament laws and regulations. The reason we don't suffer the consequences is because we are in the new covenant. The old wineskin has passed away.

18 Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory." 19 And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."

So, if I am forgiven of my sins, what will God visit upon my children?

So, if I am forgiven of my sins, what will God visit upon my children?

Please read what I wrote... with that being said though there were 2 variations of when this "visiting of the sins" was mentioned in the Bible. Check out the link I posted above which has the answers..