• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Oh my word...

This is about as different as bull fighting is to eating a steak.

We fly a flag proudly, that hardly condones violence towards kangaroos now does it. It's called the boxing kangaroo, not because we actually box with it or force it to box, but because that is what it does in the wild. If this same event happened in Australia I think we would still be up in arms about it.

Kangaroos are deadly animals. Whatever you saw in your "movie research" was bogus. If you see one in the wild, in action, you might have a greater appreciation for how dangerous they are. They are killers.

That flag you proudly fly...the kangaroo is wearing actual boxing gloves. Right? Its a symbol that started with Australia. Its not too hard to stretch that idea to a circus show with an actual boxing kangaroo. Nobody is condoning "violence" towards kangaroos. There is NO violence towards kangaroo's...you all can quit comparing it to bullfighting or dog fighting...its not comparible in any way.

What I saw in my "movie" research, was actually videos of Rocky the Boxing Kangaroo show. It is a stoopid kids show that is supposed to make kids laugh and give them a chance to see a kangaroo up close. Everyone knows that wild kangaroos can be dangerous.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is just that I think it is wrong to use "wild" animals for any sort of entertainment. I see the Cove won an Oscar - gut wrenching movie about the slaughter of dolphins.

I do however exclude Rover, Fido, Fifi and Snuggles from the above. They are domesticated pets and there is a vast difference. Hey, I don't even like zoo's, except if they are wildlife rehab centers set up to try and put wild animals back where they belong.

Of course The Cove won an Oscar. Its a liberal diatribe. If an AlGore movie and a Michael Moore movie made a baby movie...it would be called The Cove. Now your against seafood?? In the last ten years guess how many ultra-liberal documentaries have won the Oscar for "Best Oscar."

I also disagree with you about zoos. I love the zoo. Were it not for the Zoo, I wouldn't have ever seen my two favorite animals..the Fennic Fox and the Polar Bear. Most zoo's are so pro-conservation and pro-environmentalist I don't see what issue you could have with that. Many species are safer in zoo's than in the wild, and have been bred from endangerment.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

My point is just that I think it is wrong to use "wild" animals for any sort of entertainment. I see the Cove won an Oscar - gut wrenching movie about the slaughter of dolphins.

I do however exclude Rover, Fido, Fifi and Snuggles from the above. They are domesticated pets and there is a vast difference. Hey, I don't even like zoo's, except if they are wildlife rehab centers set up to try and put wild animals back where they belong.

Of course The Cove won an Oscar. Its a liberal diatribe. If an AlGore movie and a Michael Moore movie made a baby movie...it would be called The Cove. Now your against seafood?? In the last ten years guess how many ultra-liberal documentaries have won the Oscar for "Best Oscar."

I also disagree with you about zoos. I love the zoo. Were it not for the Zoo, I wouldn't have ever seen my two favorite animals..the Fennic Fox and the Polar Bear. Most zoo's are so pro-conservation and pro-environmentalist I don't see what issue you could have with that. Many species are safer in zoo's than in the wild, and have been bred from endangerment.

Yep some zoo's are really trying to make a difference, no argument with that (and maybe I am biased because I don't have to visit one to see wild animals, granted). But I have personally had a hand in shutting down and convicting some zoo's for gross mistreatment (torture) of animals. What is happening in most Chinese zoo's is a crime against morality. So perhaps I generalized, (my apologies for not being more direct), but I would still like to see no animals locked up at all, and have them were they actually belong. (hey we all dream of utopia). We the Natal Parks Board, invented the capture techniques, and the transport, and protection, of the White rhino, and saved it from extinction, and we did it in the wild, not in a zoo, so it can be done.

And please believe me, I am no bleeding heart liberal animal activist, even our large reserves are of a necessity fenced, and the animals controlled (loss of migration routes, over breeding, etc), because of mans development into the wild places.

I have culled more antelope in a night than you have had hamburgers in a year, out of necessity. But it's the mistreatment I object to. (and from someone who manages a large area, with a lot of animals, that is not a contradiction :emot-hug: )

And just for your info, dolphins are not overpopulating oceans, they are being killed off, mostly by high mercury content in their systems, the same mercury that is probably in your fish Macnuggets...... or whatever cute name they are given :whistling:

Oh, I could go on as to why these people are hunting dolphin and not fish....it's about government meddling and economics, but that would take another few paragraphs... (sorry about being a bit obtuse about the zoo's :whistling: )

Guest HIS girl

'Axxman'

That flag you proudly fly...the kangaroo is wearing actual boxing gloves. Right? Its a symbol that started with Australia.

Ay yi yi...

The boxing kangaroo symbol on our sports flag is used because of the "fighting" spirit of an animal that doesn't give up too easily - hence the Aussie sports person. :whistling: It doesn't mean we Aussies are in the habit of going a round with a 'roo.....

Anyway, baiting an animal for the sake of using it's natural defensive moves simply for the sake of entertainment is wrong -

Ay yi yi...

The boxing kangaroo symbol on our sports flag is used because of the "fighting" spirit of an animal that doesn't give up too easily - hence the Aussie sports person. :rolleyes: It doesn't mean we Aussies are in the habit of going a round with a 'roo.....

Anyway, baiting an animal for the sake of using it's natural defensive moves simply for the sake of entertainment is wrong -

What I'm saying is that the image of a kangaroo wearing boxing gloves is an Australian idea. There isn't anything wrong with some guy in Texas playing around with a kangaroo, harmlessly, for a kids entertainment. I just think its a little over the top for Australia to be sooooo upset when this is an image they fostered. I mean, this image became international news just a month ago.

To be 100% honest...until this story surfaced I would have bet money that kangaroo boxing was a national Australian pasttime. Even when I first read this story I was surprised that it didn't happen in Australia, and that Australia was so upset over it. I would bet that the majority of Americans would agree with that. Its an image that Australia has lived with and fostered for a long time. Personally, I think they are more upset that it was an American who did it for a pseudo-Australian show.

Yep some zoo's are really trying to make a difference, no argument with that (and maybe I am biased because I don't have to visit one to see wild animals, granted). But I have personally had a hand in shutting down and convicting some zoo's for gross mistreatment (torture) of animals. What is happening in most Chinese zoo's is a crime against morality. So perhaps I generalized, (my apologies for not being more direct), but I would still like to see no animals locked up at all, and have them were they actually belong. (hey we all dream of utopia). We the Natal Parks Board, invented the capture techniques, and the transport, and protection, of the White rhino, and saved it from extinction, and we did it in the wild, not in a zoo, so it can be done.

And please believe me, I am no bleeding heart liberal animal activist, even our large reserves are of a necessity fenced, and the animals controlled (loss of migration routes, over breeding, etc), because of mans development into the wild places.

I have culled more antelope in a night than you have had hamburgers in a year, out of necessity. But it's the mistreatment I object to. (and from someone who manages a large area, with a lot of animals, that is not a contradiction :cool: )

And just for your info, dolphins are not overpopulating oceans, they are being killed off, mostly by high mercury content in their systems, the same mercury that is probably in your fish Macnuggets...... or whatever cute name they are given :rolleyes:

Oh, I could go on as to why these people are hunting dolphin and not fish....it's about government meddling and economics, but that would take another few paragraphs... (sorry about being a bit obtuse about the zoo's :thumbsup: )

No problem Bro...and I know your not a bleeding heart lib..lol.

I think what you do is fascinating, and awesome! We clearly disagree on the concept of "animal rights." I don't care if people eat kangaroo or dolphins. I don't care if a kangaroo or dolphin are used for entertainment. I've seen dolphins up close in captivity and in the ocean...they are awesome. They are just animals. I am also aware that all fish has mercury in it and I have cut back on how much I used to eat...I am a huge seafood lover. The movie, The Cove, was nothing more than liberal propaganda imo.

I am sure mistreatment is defined at various levels. My level of tolerance is probably quite different than yours when it come to animals. For me, I care more about waste. As long as the animal isn't being wasted for no reason.

Guest HIS girl
Ay yi yi...

The boxing kangaroo symbol on our sports flag is used because of the "fighting" spirit of an animal that doesn't give up too easily - hence the Aussie sports person. :cool: It doesn't mean we Aussies are in the habit of going a round with a 'roo.....

What I'm saying is that the image of a kangaroo wearing boxing gloves is an Australian idea. There isn't anything wrong with some guy in Texas playing around with a kangaroo, harmlessly, for a kids entertainment. I just think its a little over the top for Australia to be sooooo upset when this is an image they fostered. I mean, this image became international news just a month ago.

To be 100% honest...until this story surfaced I would have bet money that kangaroo boxing was a national Australian pasttime. Even when I first read this story I was surprised that it didn't happen in Australia, and that Australia was so upset over it. I would bet that the majority of Americans would agree with that. Its an image that Australia has lived with and fostered for a long time. Personally, I think they are more upset that it was an American who did it for a pseudo-Australian show.

:laugh: Americans may think kangaroo boxing is a pastime in Australia?? That's hillarious.

Like I said - the image is for our sporting prowess of a "fighter" that doesn't give in till the end. Not only are Aussies like that on the sporting field but on the battlefield as well - our soldiers are regarded as some of the worlds finest - especially our Elite Forces.

No, it's simply that Aussies hate animals being mistreated...

And as far as the US/American thang - nah...

:cool: Americans may think kangaroo boxing is a pastime in Australia?? That's hillarious.

Like I said - the image is for our sporting prowess of a "fighter" that doesn't give in till the end. Not only are Aussies like that on the sporting field but on the battlefield as well - our soldiers are regarded as some of the worlds finest - especially our Elite Forces.

No, it's simply that Aussies hate animals being mistreated...

And as far as the US/American thang - nah...

I swear I thought that was true! lol

Nobody wants an animal mistreated. But animals shouldn't have more rights than a human either. And..a person shouldn't be accused of mistreating an animal just cuz somebody else doesn't like what they are doing. In this case we have an apparently healthy, well kept kangaroo, that puts on a 5-minute show a few days a week.

The real problem is that the people (read: liberals) behind this garbage think animals have as many rights as humans and they won't stop at a silly kangaroo act...this will only motivate them to push harder and invade the rights of people even more. We simply cannot afford to keep letting these people win these little battles.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

It's just an animal show. There is no indication that the animals were mistreated or uncared for in any way.

Animals are not provided here for our entertainment, though we certainly don't have any problem using them for such.

I can't help but wonder what kind of life this poor thing has. How large is the cage it's kept in? Does it get any kind of interaction with other kangaroos? I can't claim to know all the details of this particular family circus, but I know there are an awful lot of them out there that treat their animals horribly. Ultimately, I just believe that God put Adam into the garden to be a steward of everything there. The fall changed everything, but I still don't see where our responsibility to the world God put us in charge of has changed. I have no problem with animals being animals. I eat beef and pork, etc. but I have a serious issue with the unnecessary abuse that often takes place. There is no reason a cow or pig or chicken needs to suffer just because it's destined to be slaughtered for meat. And there's no reason that a kangaroo or dolphin or any other animal needs to be kept caged just because people find its antics amusing.

This is just my opinion, of course. And I know it won't change anything. But I do wish people would drop the "it's just an animal" argument. They might not have souls, but I know my dogs have emotions. I've seen them sad and I've seen them happy. I can only imagine that other animals might have emotions as well. I feel like it's my responsibility to take care of them to the best of my ability. Keeping them caged and chained and teasing them into a skirmish seems wrong, somehow.

JMHO

Maybe if I didn't feel like my dogs were my kids I wouldn't be so emotional about this! :emot-handshake:

God Bless!

Edited by winsomebulldog