wyguy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

For Christians, this present life is the closest they will come to Hell. For unbelievers, it is the closest they will come to Heaven."

This quote is amazing...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

God's desires are great and holy. God does not delight in the destruction of the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11), but desires that all men repent. I don't think we need to understand why GOD does this, but why man refuses God's plan of redemption to escape hell. Hell is terrible. God gave us a way out, man still rejects Him, and even then blames God for hell. What more can God do, that doesn't violate perfect judgement and justice???

I think that we are flawed, tainted by the sin nature. Even our concept of what is right, or fair, or good, is tainted. I believe when we get our resurrected bodies, and our minds are fully renewed and restored to right thinking in Him, we will understand this complex issue. But then, we will be so in awe, praising His Holy Name, that we won't be thinking of hell.

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

but God's love and mercy being what they are does not compute with an eternal hell.

Punishment is in direct response to whom the crime was directed against.

Let me explain it this way.

Let's say I lie to my kid = How's the little rugrat gonna know? No big deal.

I lie to my wife = I spend the night sleeping on the couch.

I lie in court = Perjury and jailtime.

I lie to congress = Treason and prison.

Or better yet: Let's say one night in a drunken rage, I take a shot at some guy outside a bar, and I miss. I might do some jail time.

Then let's say, I take a shot at The President of the United States. I will never see the light of day outside prison walls again.

See? Our sin is an offense against an infinite, holy God. And so, the punishment must also be infinite.

i don't think ignoring the concept of hell is the answer.

I'm not ignoring it. I'm simply saying Hell is Gods "prison" for lawbreakers whos crimes are an infinite offense against an infinite God.

I'm not ignoring it. I'm simply saying Hell is Gods "prison" for lawbreakers whos crimes are an infinite offense against an infinite God.

I'm not ignoring it either. But compare the magnitude of hell with the magnitude of the sacrifice that God made. God sacrificed His only Son, knowing that some would trash the sacrifice and still refuse Him. Jesus is the embodiment of God's grace and mercy. God has provided the way out of this terrible hell.

The loving and merciful God has made hell an option, at a great cost.

sorry. i know you aren't, but others are.

there is a purpose for prisons. there's a purpose for punishment and discipline. what is the purpose of hell?

To me, hell is a consequence, not a purpose. It is the final resting place for those who reject His grace and mercy found in Christ. For God to not punish sins in the perfect way and in the fulness of the law would make Him imperfect.

there is a purpose for prisons. there's a purpose for punishment and discipline. what is the purpose of hell?

The purpose of Hell is to punish those that have broken God's Laws and refuse His pardon. The same reason judges send lawbreakers on Earth to prison. The worst getting all of their life behind bars. As we are all eternal, and our sins (crimes) are directed against an eternal God (as the Bible says ALL sin is directed against God) those that refuse God's offer of mercy get sentenced to all of their eternity in God's prison - Hell.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Believing and living a life with God and Jesus on earth is paradise and when we join God and Jesus it becomes even better.

Blessings

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Because God is the source of all good, and Hell is the absence of God, Hell must also be the absence of all good.

Since God is omnpresent, it would not be correct per se to say that God will not be in hell. He will not be there to bless, sustain, and restrain. But He will be there to judge

I dont think so.

Thats OK. The question is not really what you and I may think about an issue. The question is what does God reveal through scripture

To me, hell is a consequence, not a purpose. It is the final resting place for those who reject His grace and mercy found in Christ. For God to not punish sins in the perfect way and in the fulness of the law would make Him imperfect.

resting place? how can eternal torment be a place of "rest"? is our understanding of what hell is the truth? is our understand of it the perfect way? or is it possible that our understanding of it is flawed?

Rest doesn't always mean peace. A rolling ball comes to a rest eventually. It just means the place where you end up, which should have been clear from the context...

I should correct myself anyway, the lake of fire is the final "resting" place, since death and hell are thrown into the lake of fire.