• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Wonderful advice -- beautiful story. Thanks for sharing that.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

I cannot find people who share the same interests as I do where I live. Either I find people who are my age but

we share no interests; or I find people who share my interests but there is an age gap so we have nothing in

common because of the age gap.

If you share interests with someone, then you DO have something in common, regardless of the age gap...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Many years ago, I was living in a place that was as alien to me as what you describe. I just loathed it... it was hot and almost impossible to breath; there were bugs there that I could have shot with a gun... I was alone a lot and was pregnant. I cried every day... One day, I took a walk to a local park and I sat on a bench with a lovely lady who was quite elderly and very friendly. We talked for much of the afternoon and she told me that she had been born and raised in the town. She pointed out some of the plants in the garden of the park and we talked about plants my Mamma had at home (they were similar plants, actually). This lovely woman invited me to her home for lunch the next day and we shared another wonderful afternoon. She showed me pictures from WWII of the town and how it had grown. We walked to a beach area that was wonderful. She painted beautifully and one day brought me supplies to paint a picture too. She taught me to paint and to ... observe. Observe the plants, the sky - the town that had once looked so dull and boring was very colorful and full of really interesting people. She introduced me to so many people who were just delightful. When it was time for us to leave this town and move on - I was once again sad and worried. I told my friend and she said something that I had heard my Grandma say so many times ... "Honey, you need to bloom where you are planted". Look for the color and the interesting things that you don't normally see. Buy a hometown cookbook and learn how to cook new foods - go to the nursery or plant store and find some local plants; make a container garden - take pictures and find a place that is special for you. I listened to those words and found a lot of wisdom there. We were able to go back to our hometown within the next year - I returned with a couple of wonderful scrapbooks and several cookbooks and some new found recipes that we loved. I treasure those days with my friend - who was old in body, but young in spirit and had the eyes of a child - she opened mine and I still find things to do and places to see - I pray you will be eased of your loneliness - but, try to bloom where you are planted. God Bless you!! :noidea:

God listens to us and loves us more than we can ever imagine.

Blessings

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,347
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Some people like living in small towns. I don't. I live in a small town and it's driving me insane. I can't find a church

that fits my beliefs personally as a Christian; I see no point in going to a church where their beliefs are so different than mine

that I can't apply them to my walk with God because I don't agree with what they believe. There are no jobs available where

I live; I have to go to the bigger surrounding towns to find jobs.

I cannot find people who share the same interests as I do where I live. Either I find people who are my age but

we share no interests; or I find people who share my interests but there is an age gap so we have nothing in

If I want to do anything or really go anywhere, I have to go to the bigger surrounding areas; these are

about 40-60 minutes away round trip. I love oriental cooking, but the closest oriental food store

is in a big town where it's not feasible me to go there very often.

Nothing exciting really exciting ever really happens here. Can anybody relate? If so, what's your advice?

It's not feasible for me to relocate now due to financial difficulties.

Find strength as did Paul

Phil 4:11-13

11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

NKJV

Love Steven

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

:P I live in a town with 300 houses, surrounded by miles of Africa.

Ok during vacation time about 4,000, but they come and go, and because we live near the sea when they arrive from up country their IQ gets rusty from the salt air , and they are not the sort of people I associate with :laugh:

When I arrived I started seeking people out to talk to. Just walked up and talked to them. Surprising how people react, especially if you are a good listener :cool:

Here's my week in my little town.

Monday night - Pilate's class

Tuesday - Home group

Wednesday - Prayer meeting and then off to our small sports club for a communal dinner (I don't have to cook :emot-heartbeat: )

Thursday - Pilate's class

Friday - a game of pool at the club (been going on every Friday for four years - must be a record)

Saturday afternoon/Evening - bowling

Sunday evening - Church

And in between I put in a 9 hour day at work, visit my home group members, hang out at the coffee shop, go fishing......

My friends range from the ages of 22 years old to 83! From every walk of life.

But all of the above, I had to work at it. Since I learned the secret that most people are interesting (saved or not :blink: ), and they like to tell you about themselves, especially if you will listen. :)

Blessings

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

:laugh: I live in a town with 300 houses, surrounded by miles of Africa.

As part of a reward for displaying our company's values, a couple of my colleagues won a trip to the Moholoholo nature conserve in SA (....we were shown some of the photos today and oh my, Africa looks stunning! They all want to go back as soon as they can!

Guest Butero
Some people like living in small towns. I don't. I live in a small town and it's driving me insane. I can't find a church

that fits my beliefs personally as a Christian; I see no point in going to a church where their beliefs are so different than mine

that I can't apply them to my walk with God because I don't agree with what they believe. There are no jobs available where

I live; I have to go to the bigger surrounding towns to find jobs.

If I want to do anything or really go anywhere, I have to go to the bigger surrounding areas; these are

about 40-60 minutes away round trip. I love oriental cooking, but the closest oriental food store

is in a big town where it's not feasible me to go there very often.

Nothing exciting really exciting ever really happens here. Can anybody relate? If so, what's your advice?

It's not feasible for me to relocate now due to financial difficulties.

I used to feel like you do. I wanted to get away from the small town I live in and move to a big city, that is, until I have had a chance to see city life first hand. Now I love living in a small town. Since you can't move, try to be content with being where you are. If God placed you there, it must be for a purpose. If things change down the road and you are able to move and still want to live in the city, go for it.