IGNORED

What Are the Belif Differances Between Denominations?

SeekingHeart

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

my famous double click, sorry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

Thanks. :consoling2: It is all a bit confusing.

See, I'm planning on chruch searching, and there are a few churches near-by my house, but one is presbertaian, the other evangelical, and I have no clue if either one has similar views to mine. Not that I think my beliefs are the only right ones, just that it makes sense to worship with others of similar thoughts.

If you can, go to a bookstore or library and find a book on the different denominations and scan it for the basics.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Thanks. :consoling2: It is all a bit confusing.

See, I'm planning on chruch searching, and there are a few churches near-by my house, but one is presbertaian, the other evangelical, and I have no clue if either one has similar views to mine. Not that I think my beliefs are the only right ones, just that it makes sense to worship with others of similar thoughts.

I was you until this year. I grew weary of either doing nothing about finding a church, or tossing darts and visiting once in a while. I finally did what others here have suggested. I knew what I belived and what I needed a church to feel like. I read statements of faith on line, looked at how the local church was structured and it became much easier to narrow down the field. As an aside, I'm estatic to be back in a church among other believers. It has done so much for me personally. I wish you well on your journey.

Debbie

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/01/1956

I would add that "what you believe" is of little consequence when compared to what the Word says. I recommend studying the Word, compare what you can glean from what the church teaches regarding "what must I do to be saved" vs what the Word says. Don't accept a verse or a few verses as your "proof texts" but consider all as a part of the whole. IF, the church does not lead you to salvation though what is written, all else matters to naught.

Remember the words of Jesus,

Matthew 7:13 "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide, and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter by it. 14 "For the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those who find it.

NASB

• Content Count:  31

I would add that "what you believe" is of little consequence when compared to what the Word says.

I agree totally. I just hesitated to say what I personally believe since the OP hadn't asked that. I do believe that every word in the Bible is God given and accurate. That's why I struggled with denominations with practices that seemed to go against the instruction given to us.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

So I never really understood the difference between the different Christian denominations, especially the difference between a typical congregational church and an evengelical church?

Please don't use but, fancy words to explaine verything. I just want to know, in basic words a teenager can understand, the difference in denominations.

Thanks!

Many people just like you are searching for the true Church; there are so many denominations which is the one? Every single Christian Church has a good amount of truth, but with false teachings too, really a good glass of water can be poisoned with one drop of the most powerful poison.

One think to consider, It is very important to recognize that no church can be proven superior because its members are without sin. People are people, and all are subject to the same frailties of human nature. Yet, it is also true that every Christian has access to the same mighty power of God for overcoming those frailties. Therefore, any church today will necessarily be made up of individuals who are at varying levels of personal sanctification. The wheat and tares will still be mingled together, and no church will be made up entirely of perfect people.

Another point to consider is that we cannot put our emotions to choose the Church, emotions over one Bible verse , or the beautiful music, or because the pastor is very attractive, or just because is close to your house etc.

One of the biggest mistakes that people make is trying to study the thousands of denominations finally tire and disappointed they decide to choose the one that is more convenient to their life style, instead of the true Church; The right thing to do is to study the Bible first and then the denomination.

There are so many verses in the Bible that will point you to the right Church, is a very long topic, but the key is that in the Bible the Church is also call

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Make it simple.

Get the Church's statement of faith (they should have one, if they don't, better to ask why). Speak to the pastor, or youth pastor if they have one. See what the Spirit is telling you.

Attend a few meetings (give it a chance), and then see how you feel.

Also, and this is important. if during a lesson the pastor says something that makes you feel uncomfortable, don't just walk away. Have a good look at what he has said, search your heart before making a decison. Because you see, sometimes what the pastor says is what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.

I have left services at my church feeling uncomfortable before, but I have found that every time it is because, regardless of the fact that I did not like what was said, I needed to hear it, because it convicted me of something I should be doing, or was not doing.

Jesus spoke directly to my heart, and I had to bury my pride and deal with the problem, not get upset with the person delivering it!

Blessings

Guest Butero
So I never really understood the difference between the different Christian denominations, especially the difference between a typical congregational church and an evengelical church?

Please don't use but, fancy words to explaine verything. I just want to know, in basic words a teenager can understand, the difference in denominations.

Thanks!

There are so many denominations and they have such diverse doctrines, it is hard to answer this question. As a general rule, evangelicals are more conservative, and they hold to a literal interpretation of scripture, but even the definition of an evangelical has been tarnished over time. I don't agree 100 percent with the views of any denomination, but I fall somewhere in between a conservative Pentecostal and an Independent Baptist.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  14

Here is te church I'm most looking at that I find I have the most in common with in beliefs:

Here is a quick rundown of who we are and what we believe:

Statement of Beliefs:

Introduction

Seventh Day Baptists consider liberty of thought under the guidance of the Holy Spirit to be essential to Christian belief and practice. Therefore we encourage the unhindered study and open discussion of Scripture. We uphold the individual's freedom of conscience in seeking to determine and obey the will of God.

The following statement is not intended to be exhaustive, but is an expression of our common belief, which is derived from our understanding of Scripture.

Scripture References : 2 Corinthians 3:17-18, 2 Timothy 2:15, Romans 12:2, Ephesians 4:3-6, Ephesians 15, Romans 10:17, and 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

The Scriptures

We believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and is our final authority in matters of faith and practice. We believe that Jesus Christ, in His life and teachings as recorded in the Bible, is the supreme interpreter of God's will for mankind.

Scripture References: 2 Peter 1:20-21, Romans 3:2, 2 Peter 3:1-2,

2 Peter 3:15-16, 2 Timothy 3:14-17, Matthew 5:17-19,

Psalm 119:105, John 20:30-31, and Hebrews 1:1-2.

God

We believe in one God, infinite and perfect, the Creator and Sustainer of the universe who exists eternally in three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) and desires to share His love in a personal relationship with everyone.

Scripture References: 1 Timothy 1:17, Deuteronomy 6:4, 1 Kings 8:27,

1 John 1:5, Genesis 1:1-2, Acts 17:24-25, Acts 28, Psalm 90:1-2, Matthew 28:19, John 3:16, Isaiah 57:15, and 2 Peter 3:9.

The Father

We believe in God the Father, who is sovereign over all, and is loving and just as He forgives the repentant and condemns the unrepentant.

Scripture References: 1 Corinthians 8:6, Ephesians 4:6, Ezekiel 33:11, 2 Thessalonians 1:6-8, John 5:24, and John 3:16-18.

The Son

We believe in God the Son, who became incarnate in Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. He gave Himself on the cross as the complete and final sacrifice for sin. As our Risen Lord, He is the mediator between God the Father and mankind.

Scripture References: John 1:34, Hebrews 1:3, John 1:14-18, Romans 1:3-4, 1 John 3:16, 1 Peter 2:24, Hebrews 10:10-14, 1 Corinthians 15:20-21, 1 Timothy 2:5, John 14:6, and 1 John 2:1-2.

The Holy Spirit

We believe in God the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, who gives spiritual birth to believers lives within them, and empowers them for witnessing and service. We believe the Holy Spirit inspired the Scriptures, convicts of sin and instructs in ighteousness.

Scripture References : John 14:16, John 3:5-8, John 14:17, Romans 5:5, 1 Corinthians 12:4-7, 2 Peter 1:20-21, and John 16:7-11.

Mankind

We believe that mankind was created in the image of God and is therefore the noblest work of creation. We believe that human beings have moral responsibility and are created to enjoy both divine and human fellowship as children of God.

Scripture References: Genesis 1:26-27, Psalm 8:3-9, Micah 6:8, Matthew 5:44-48, 1 John 1:3, and John 1:12.

Nutshell:

What's the deal with the Sabbath (Saturday worship)?

We believe that the fourth commandment (Exodus 20:8-11) commands us to observe the Sabbath day and to keep it holy. Basically, we work for six days of the week (Sunday through Friday evening), and on Fridays at sundown through Saturdays we worship and rest in the Lord.

So, you're not Adventists?

No, we are not Adventists. We are Seventh Day Baptists and we believe in the Bible, God as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, salvation through redemption in Christ, keeping the Sabbath day holy, and baptism by choice and immersion.

Is it okay to discuss the Bible freely?

Of course it is, and it is encouraged. Check out our Bible studies under Ministries (on the left).

Can we eat meat?

Yes, we can and we do, frequently. Come and eat with us every first Sabbath of the month (see the Calendar).

Is alcohol forbidden?

No, it is not, except on church property.

Is dancing okay?

Yes, it is. Pastor Gabe will join you in dancing.

Is there a hierarchy or expert that has the last word on the Bible?

No, we are all on the same level, learning and growing with each other.

That is interesting. I know someone who has attended a Seventh Day Baptist Church, but I haven't had the pleasure, since there are none in my area. If there was, I would probably check them out.

At Least The Pot-Lucks

And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. Acts 2:46-47