IGNORED

Why Must the Church Come to Accept Evolution?

Hal P

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Nebula, I agree with you , I don't see how what you added is in disagreement with what I said.

When you said:

"Both of these were believed by people at the time not because they had "overwhelming data" but because they in fact had no data. It wasn't a case of millions of well-trained people all simultaneously misinterpreting the data, it was just that they didn't have any data to work with and so reached erroneous conclusions."

It came across as you were supporting the notion that people in the educated people in Medieval times believed in a flat earth nor had the resources to determine otherwise.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  71
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I didn't say anything about "Medieval times." I said people who believed it was flat did so for non-scientific reasons. As soon as they began to use scientific reasoning to look into it, such as the examples you give, they realised it wasn't flat. That's it.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Come, come, Hal -

You should know this was implied by what was written (that you were responding to). As far as I know, they are still teaching erroneous history over Columbus' argument for sailing west.

IF you are about teaching truth you should likewise be passionate about history being taught accurately. Right?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.86
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

One word: Apostate!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/16/1946

Interesting article and video by Bruce Waltke. Waltke is a world-renowned Old Testament scholar, Biblical translator and expositor. He served on the translation committee of both the New American Standard Bible and New International Version -- two of the most popular modern translations of the Bible produced in the twentieth century. Waltke is a professor emeritus of Old Testament studies at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia and a former president of the Evangelical Theological Society.

http://biologos.org/blog/why-must-the-chur...cept-evolution/

In this video conversation Bruce Waltke discusses the danger the Church will face if it does not engage with the world around it, in particular with the issue of evolution, which many evangelicals still reject.

Waltke cautions, "if the data is overwhelmingly in favor of evolution, to deny that reality will make us a cult

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Horsefeathers.

:24: Oh Lord now you are agreeing with them! Horses never had feathers, nor the monkey an opposing thumb :noidea:

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/16/1946

Current data does NOT overwhelmingly support the theory of evolution, but in fact, points more and more convincingly toward God. Anyone saying otherwise today is not up to date with current developments and has his eyes covered and his ears plugged.

And yet oddly people who make this claim consistently neglect to let us know what this "current data" and "current developments" actually are. We have a thread here about the science of evolution, perhaps you would care to prop up your claim there?

Lurker

I can recommend three books written by former atheist and evolution adherent Lee Strobel, who, in the development of his books interviewed a number of world renowned scientists, whose conclusions clearly contradict the theory of evolution in favor of God, the Bible and Creationism. I couldn't begin to duplicate Lee Strobel's work but I can highly recommend it. The books are, "The Case for Christ, The Case for Faith and The Case for a Creator".

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Here's "just a thought" Lurker. Nobody here gives a rip about your religion of evolution. And I, for one, am sick of you doing nothing but pushing it. I doubt you have, or will ever, bring a true believer in God's Word over to your humanistic, demonic, heritical evolutionary point of view.

Now, Christian Lurker - why don't you go wash your sheep's clothing. It's starting to stink.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Here's "just a thought" Lurker. Nobody here gives a rip about your religion of evolution. And I, for one, am sick of you doing nothing but pushing it. I doubt you have, or will ever, bring a true believer in God's Word over to your humanistic, demonic, heritical evolutionary point of view.

Now, Christian Lurker - why don't you go wash your sheep's clothing. It's starting to stink.

Come on, wyguy, let's pray for Lurker instead of yelling at him. I know how frustrating this never ending evolution thumping gets but....Lurker is just deceived and he needs help, not anger.

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Come on, wyguy, let's pray for Lurker instead of yelling at him. I know how frustrating this never ending evolution thumping gets but....Lurker is just deceived and he needs help, not anger.

I wasn't yelling at him. I was just thinking of the influence he might have on young believers and new believers in the faith. But I agree we should pray for him. I accept your correction. :noidea: