• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  191
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  629
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/29/1970

I heard a sermon on the meaning of love not to long ago and it really got me thinking. The pastor said that humans has twisted the meaning so much from what God intended it to be that few of us know the true meaning of what love is. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the biblical meaning of love.

God Bless You

Jacqueline

Guest Called

Well, I guess I could be super spiritual and give you all the greek words for love or I can tell you what I believe love is. There are many places in the Word where love is mentioned. I will not show every verse. I mean it should go without saying that real love is seen in the example of Jesus. His life was love, He is love.

Love is:

Self-sacrifice

obedience

humility

kindness

forgiveness

mercy

justice

compassion

empathy

sympathy

patience

kindness and much more...

If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be? And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Love will last forever, but prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will all disappear. Now we know only a little, and even the gift of prophecy reveals little! But when the end comes, these special gifts will all disappear.

It's like this: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child does. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Now we see things imperfectly as in a poor mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God knows me now.

There are three things that will endure--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:1-13

I guess to narrow it all down- the biblical meaning of love is JESUS. Plain and Simple, we can add our own definitions, but they will all fall short of what true love is. We cannot even fathom what actual love is and we won't understand until we experience that love when we are face to face with God in heaven. How amazing is His love! :il: :) He is amazing! :laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

If you haven't seen 'The Princess Bride', check it out. There you'll see a discourse on love by the Elmer Fudd-like Archbishop that will confuse you even more about 'Wuv'...

Seriously though, a good start would have to be 1 Jn 4 where we read that 'God is Love' and that we who do not love do not know God. Very basic, very simple.

Next, I'd flip over to the Beatitudes. For if a person is blessed, they are in the glow of Christ's love.

Finally, St. Thomas Aquinas, in his Scripture Study and written work that came out of that study, wrote "To love is to will the good of another." If we will the good of another within the parameters of God's will, we are loving in the Christian sense. Of course, works would be a natural by-product of this will.

GS

Guest Called
If you haven't seen 'The Princess Bride', check it out. There you'll see a discourse on love by the Elmer Fudd-like Archbishop that will confuse you even more about 'Wuv'

Wuv..twu wuv...do you pwincess buttecwup...

love that movie! :laugh:

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Well, I guess I could be super spiritual and give you all the greek words for love or I can tell you what I believe love is. There are many places in the Word where love is mentioned. I will not show every verse. I mean it should go without saying that real love is seen in the example of Jesus. His life was love, He is love.

Love is:

Self-sacrifice

obedience

humility

kindness

forgiveness

mercy

justice

compassion

empathy

sympathy

patience

kindness and much more...

If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be? And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Love will last forever, but prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will all disappear. Now we know only a little, and even the gift of prophecy reveals little! But when the end comes, these special gifts will all disappear.

It's like this: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child does. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Now we see things imperfectly as in a poor mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God knows me now.

There are three things that will endure--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:1-13

I guess to narrow it all down- the biblical meaning of love is JESUS. Plain and Simple, we can add our own definitions, but they will all fall short of what true love is. We cannot even fathom what actual love is and we won't understand until we experience that love when we are face to face with God in heaven. How amazing is His love! :il: :) He is amazing! :laugh:

Amen!!

With Love In Christ,

Danielle

• Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/01/2003

Love is putting the other person above yourself (Phil. 2: 4-5)

Love is controlled by God, not by your actions or feelings (1 John 4:16)

Love understands the other person, even when they don

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

I agree with Deb. When I think of love the first thing I think of is Jesus. Jesus, enduring the pain and suffering that He did without losing sight of the goal. Jesus being despised, broken and rejected. Jesus, dying on the cross because of His great love for me? How awesome He is. I do love Him so! :) ( I think I am starting to sound like Bob, ha! :) )

Guest kitkat
Love is putting the other person above yourself (Phil. 2: 4-5)

Love is controlled by God, not by your actions or feelings (1 John 4:16)

Love understands the other person, even when they don

Guest LCPGUY
AMEN!! Agreeing totally with you and Called on this one. Very well put on both. 

God Bless,

Kat

I second and echo Kats reply! :)

In His Love,

Bro John

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  440
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  04/14/1977

Love, in many - if not all cases starts off by an action. Love is dynamic. It may be waiting patiently, but it is always doing something.

Love is not the feelings, not the emotions, but a committment. The feelings and emotions can help us stay in the committment, but love is not based on that.

Love frees one, even in the boundries it sets. Love provides safety and security. God is love. And he that abides in love, abides in God. In God there is perfect safety. The bible says perfect love drives out fear (in 1John). God is perfect love.

God is not an emotion, but we can feel emotions from Him and actions of love from Him.

I would venture to say that Love.....is a covenant. For love hung on a cross, the very example of self-sacrifce and putting someone else's needs above your own. It is the very seal of committment to another. God is committed to his creation.

There are so many things love is. We could list on and on for days. You guys have all done a good job. But I will leave my sentiments like this.....

****We are to be more like God. And God is Love. He that abides in God, abides in Love.**** :il: