IGNORED

Prayer

Orr v'emet

Guest Cindy Lou

Hiya

I read a book on this very subject called 'The prayer of Jabez' which is quite in line with your sisters viewpoint. Have a wee look at it on internet & see if it helps any. Like you I ask 'If its in your will Father' & grew up with the idea that he supplies my needs, not my greeds, though he is our Daddy and a much better parent than I am and I would give my daughter anything she wanted (if I could) so long as it wouldn't somehow hurt her. As for the wording of prayer - he knows what you mean regardless of how it comes out. I understand when my daughter wants something even though its usually through a grunt and a point! (she's very young). So long as your hearts in the right place & not motivated by jealously etc then I don't think it matters much. Good luck with the study.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Ayin Jade, I appreciate your comments.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  58

I guess I was just wondering about the area of asking God for things. For instance, I just interviewed for a new job that I want. Should I be just thanking God in advance for the job or praying if it's His will?

Would you like an example of how I would pray in that situation? Keep in mind please that this is how I pray, and not necessarily how I think everyone should pray. This is just how I communicate best with the Lord in prayer.

I would first thank God for giving me the opportunity to have the interview. I would then say "You know my needs, my wants. You know I want this job. But You also know better than I do if it is right for me. Please show me Your will on this. Please guide me Lord." Bare bones version...I usually flesh it out a lot more.

I guess I dont say Your will be done, but I do acknowledge His will in it. I hope this helps.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  440
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/14/1977

I know MANY people who like to thank God in advance for something. I would like to offer another view...thanking God for whatever he is going to do. We should be specific in our prayers. It is important. You are voicing something that is what you see as a need.

Small example. I needed a car. I had none for months. And I was praying - God, take me shopping. I have no idea what kind of car to get and what kind I really need. I know what I like - but what do I need? (as is it wrong to ask of what I like as well as what I need?). So I felt God ask me, "Well, what do you want and what do you think you need? Give me reasons".

so here they were,

I needed a 4 door car - since it is easier to get in and out of the back seat and I frequently drive many people around and help load antiques my mom buys to take them home to be refinished.

I needed a large trunk - same reason - for large antique purchases - and also to help bring things over when we moved, which is happening now!

I needed this car before Christmas last year since I was going to be busy running around and taking mom around as she doesn't drive.

I wanted a car in the colour blue, green or dark grey, cause I like them and cause they don't look dirty as fast (like white or black)

I wanted at least a radio and cassette player in it that worked so I could listen to something. My last cars both didn't.

I wanted a more powerful engine. If you are carrying a lot of furniture - you need something that can get you up a hill or 2!

I wanted a different brand of car then I had been driving previously since I found them to break down a lot and be unreliable.

And....I needed it to be free. Literally - I had no money.

So.......I got a 4 door, blue V6 Buick with a huge truck and a radio and cassette player that works....on Nov 15 last year. And the best part of all........

.........it was given to me! I didn't go to a car lot and pick this out. This was given to me by a dear lady who I had not had contact with in 5 months before she called me to see if I wanted a car since she heard somewhere that I needed one and didn't know if I was still looking for one.

Now this isn't my shopping list to God - but he asked me to be specific and I told him what it was and why. And I left it to him. I didn't get that answer until 4 months after I prayed it the first time.

I thanked God in advance for providing for my need - whether that was later bus service (our bus system leaves much to be desired at the moment), or rides from people....whatever. I knew God was going to help me. I also prayed His will to be worked out. I didn't know how much I blessed the family that gave it to me. When they heard my story, they realized how awesome God is when they obeyed his command to call me up. They weren't going to!!!

A final thought........is it God's will to have people perish? Is it God's will to have people suffer? Is it His will to see someone not fulfilled in life and wandering without blessing or purpose? NO!!!

10your kingdom come,

your will be done

on earth as it is in heaven.

His will....on earth as it is in heaven......there is no suffering in heaven, there is no lost people in heaven, there is no sickness, sadness, unfulfilled people in heaven. But is it in His timing.......? Is it in His design?? Will and design I don't think they are the same thing. My will comes under the authority of something/someone else. What I want to do and what is asked of me are often 2 different things. So I concede to follow the wishes of God, or my boss in my job....etc. God heart is that none should perish, but know everlasting life. Even God's will would not break the rules he has set in place. If the person does not call on the name of Jesus and ask them to be Saviour, they are not saved.

I would agree - there is no real right way to pray. There is no magic formula and no magic words. But scripture does have a lot to say about prayer. Many times when God speaks audibly in the bible to people - it was when the person was praying.

Here are some other scriptures to add to the awesome ones already posted:

James 5:16

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

1Peter 4:7

The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.

As it implies in James - the prayer of a righteous man - lifestyle and heart style have to do with answered prayer - not the words you use.