Ovedya

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Ovedya, GREAT post!! Praise God!!! A lot of what you said is the basis for denominationalism or more correctly, the division of the body of Christ; my pet peeve. Self-focus puts the vicious advarsary in charge; God focus makes him run away leaving us in God's hands. But just maybe, as I believe you alluded, in order to reach the unsaved in this political arena there needs to be some Christians (possibly saved out of it) who can effectively impact that arena for God; like ChucK Colson. God is not willing that any should perish. Additionally, a Christian can impact the social or scientific or business or ? arenas in a way which will weaken statan's hold on them and make Christianity more appealing or credible or profiatble or believable or ?, while focused primarily upon God and on the light at the end of the tunnel of potential salvations as a result; although on the surface it might appear as just busyness in the affairs of the world. Your post was very good and right on. One other thought, and I may be guilty of this myself; there is the risk of being so Spiritually minded that we become ineffective for the Lord on earth where we are being kept for a while to be His ambassadors; a socio-polictiacal function, I believe.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  10

The story of Lot's wife is a good example of keeping your eyes on God. The angels told Lot, Lot's wife, and their kids to run, and escape the city before the Lord pummeled it to the ground. As they were running, Lot's wife looked back, and instantly became a pillar of salt. Keep your eyes on the Lord, or you'll turn into a pillar of salt! (:

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14
  • Birthday:  04/13/1982

This is nice-to-read thread since it shares some valuable thoughts on whether you have to set your mind on the things above or just here on earth.

Allow me to add just a few issues why some people tend to think not on the things above or to be materialistic. You may agree with me or not. But I just want to share this. The first thing I'd like to raise is the proliferation of technology. Look around every household and almost each home has a computer. As a result, children tend to play video or online games because this is a good way for parents to make their children stay at home and enjoy. Aside from that, the movies nowadays have given more emphasis on the value of technology. Take for example "The Matrix", etc.

The second thing I'd like to raise is the lack of guidance from parents since they're too busy in a lot of things.

Lastly, postmodernism has been practiced by almost everyone nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  5

The Word of God is plain in that it informs us to look not to the things which are seen, but to the things which are unseen. Jesus said where your treasure is there your heart is also.Peter informs us to live our lives here as foriegners. Are we living as foriegners or natives?

• 1 month later...

• Content Count:  3
  • Birthday:  04/28/1982

"I believe it's a matter of where we are setting our sights. Are we looking under rocks for the boogie man, or are we looking for the Lord's appearing? See, I believe that there is a difference between looking for, and loving the Lord's appearing and looking for the "signs of the times." The difference might seem small or inconsequential, but as far as gaining the Lord there is a big difference." I agree with it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

"I believe it's a matter of where we are setting our sights. Are we looking under rocks for the boogie man, or are we looking for the Lord's appearing? See, I believe that there is a difference between looking for, and loving the Lord's appearing and looking for the "signs of the times." The difference might seem small or inconsequential, but as far as gaining the Lord there is a big difference." I agree with it.

Yes, there can be so much emphasis on deciphering the times and not enough on the "Christ of the moment and the need to spread the Gospel." Paul's words are just as meaningful today as when they were written.

Collosians 1:27-28.."...God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ. To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  2

Set your mind on the things above.

One of the biggest challenges facing Christians ttoday is the focus and involvement in the things on the earth. Many things seek to occupy a believer�s time; and many of these things cannot be avoided: Home, work, school, raising children, finding free time for rest, all occupy much of time. But what about the things which do not seek to occupy our time, but which draw our attention, and which we seek out? I am speaking specifically of politics, societal issues, and increasing interest in the world�s affairs. Many Christians today have become very concerned and have become increasingly involved with the affairs of the world. In some cases this is rightly so. It is hard enough to eke out a living in today�s fast-paced society, and it is becoming ever increasingly hard for parents to raise God-fearing children in a world that is ever pressing toward destruction. But should we all become "political Christians"?

Where can we find a healthy balance? We have seen Christians so involved with the world�s affairs that they have focused most, if not all, of their attention and devotion toward the things on the earth, and not to the things which are in the heavens. They have sacrificed much of their relationship with the Lord Jesus for the sake of involvement in the affairs of the world. Many have become devoid of life and waste because of this great distraction.

The Bible tells us that our first priority is to seek the Lord�s kingdom (Matt. 6:33); it tells us to set our minds on the things above, not on the things which are on the earth (Col. 3:2). According to the context of Colossians 3:2, the things which are on the earth do not just include the common problems of the sin in our members, ourselves, (v. 5), but the things of philosophy, culture, religion, and improvement of behavior. The first two chapters of Colossians speak of these things, and so, we are warned of their distractions.

Many believers today have strayed away from a real and living experience of Christ because of the �trappings� of the world's problems. Today many believers have divided themselves from the body of Christ according to the things of the world. Believers have divided themselves over culture, religion (In the case of Christianity, over religious teachings, doctrines and practices), and how best to improve their outward behavior. However, it is not just these things which believers have divided themselves over. Included here should be politics and increased attention to the world situation.

Now, don�t get me wrong here. Certainly we can be aware of what�s going on in the world. I am not advocating any kind of intentional self-imposed ignorance of what�s going on in the world. What I am advocating is that there should be a lot more Christ in the believer�s life and a lot less focused attention on �Who�s out to get us.�

We should not be surprised that the world is increasingly speeding down a broad highway toward destruction. And any effort to steer the world otherwise is not only futile, but it is destroying many believers� enjoyment of Christ. In fact, one could probably argue reasonably that increased involvement in the world�s affairs is actually delaying the Lord�s return. But that is not my concern here.

The things of the world have a great tendency to attract and distract us from the flow of life from the throne of Grace. Believers are increasingly being sucked into this vast void of politics and the social ills of the world. What results is a group of Christians who are practically devoid of any spiritual nourishment, and ability to feed others on Christ. Their focus is on what�s going on in the world, who�s persecuting whom, who�s rights are being taken away from where, and who�s watching whom, and why. But where is the expression of Christ? Where is the feeding of the flock on the rich pasture of Christ Jesus (John 10:9)?

Dear saints, there is a wonderful flow of life from God�s throne (Rev.22:1). The more that we drink of this flow the more we become the fullness or the fatness of God�s house (Psa. 36:8). We become the corporate expression of the very Triune God who springs forth from our being the moment we believe (John 7:38). What God desires most is for us to gain Him every day, to come forward to the throne of Grace continually (Heb. 4:16), to partake of the Lord as our daily bread, and to allow Him to flow into us and out of us. When we allow the Lord Jesus to saturate and permeate our being, then we become a living testimony of the Triune God. All that God is in his holiness, righteousness, love, etc. begins to be expressed through us organically to a fallen and corrupted world. All of God�s divine attributes � His love, His joy, His peace, His long-suffering, kindness, goodness, and faithfulness can be expressed through our human virtues.

If we daily touch the throne of Grace in such a way, and allow ourselves to be soaked and saturated with God�s divine life, then our love toward others will express God�s Agape love, our joy will be the joy of the Lord, our peace will be His peace, our long-suffering His, our kindness His, our goodness and faithfulness will just be the very expression of the Triune God. This is the way that the Body is built up, lived out, and testified before the whole inhabited earth. This needs to be our first and foremost goal and enjoyment in this world.

What need have we to worry or distress when the world presses us? The world�s pressing should be pressing us more into Christ! What need we worry when our �Christian rights� are taken away? Their limitations should be our freeing into Christ! What need we worry when �big brother� monitors our every move? The more that we gain Christ daily the more we will express Him; the more we will be a living testimony of our wonderful God. Perhaps even �big brother� will get saved!

Preaching the gospel is not just knowing what the Bible says about it. The genuine preaching of the gospel comes from our enjoyment of Him. Just as a steward in a household knows where all the riches are stored, so also we, as stewards of the mysteries of God (1 Cor. 4:1) should preach the gospel according to how much Christ is stored within us. The genuine gospel preaching is that which comes from a steward who faithfully gains the Lord every day - One who allows the Lord to saturate his being to the point of overfilling and flowing forth into others. In short, our experiences of Christ become the essential factor to our preaching of the gospel. I�ve always enjoyed the phrase; �Preach the gospel at all times. When necessary, use words.� (St. Francis of Assisi) This is true! We need to be living testimonies of our wonderful Christ before a world that is so filled with darkness.

So to finish up, dear saints. Let us be reminded of where we are seated. We are seated � right now � with Christ, in the heavenlies (Col. 3:1). Let us set our minds on the things above, and let us seek first God�s kingdom. For we are not of this world, we are only sojourners within it for a time. We are dwelling in tents. Our real citizenship is in the heavenlies (Eph. 2:19). Do not let the enemy steal you away into the affairs of this world.

Grace to you all,

~G

• Content Count:  2

This is one of the hardest lessons learned. Balance. Is key here if we in our everyday lives don't put Jesus first this very thing happens. I agree with you. It is yes and amen.