• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

I have a few questions of my own in response to the OP.

1) What kind of a bar is it?

2) What kind of patrons frequent it?

3) How late is it open?

4) How much cigarette-smoke is in the air?

Guest shiloh357
I feel we wouldn't be helping others that might come home to Christ if we didn't pursue them where they hang out. Scripture tells us we must strive to be more like Jesus. Jesus wasn't afraid to go into the dens of sinners to spread God's word, he was trying to bring lost sheep back to the flock.

Jesus did not go into the "dens" of sinners. Jesus did not hang out in the red light district looking for prostitutes. The sinners always came to Jesus. Jesus was not afraid to be the friend of sinners, but Jesus did not hang out per se, with sinners.

I am sure the people you want to help also have homes and other places they like to frequent like restaurants and such. Why not reach out to them there?

Before going to a bar to witness, you need to check your motives and make sure that you are not using this as an ulterior motives to drink and enjoy the bar scene.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I have a few questions of my own in response to the OP.

1) What kind of a bar is it?

2) What kind of patrons frequent it?

3) How late is it open?

4) How much cigarette-smoke is in the air?

Okay the big questions everyone seems to ask in around about way are the ones Logo Knight asked and I will answer them later in this post. Then if anyone wishes to judge me, fire away.

For starters somebody mentioned about motive and that is the key, so I will give my story which has my motive.

I have been in the US Army Reserve from 1974-1980, I went back in during Desert Storm in 1991 and retired in 2005. The bar I most frequent is an American Legion which I joined around 1991 but for the most I was only a dues paying member and hardly ever went to the club.

As for any other bars I have gone to would because they had a dinning room and I take my family there for Dinner, oh I all most forgot if there is a karaoke night or an open mike night (my favorite), my wife an I sometimes go. At open mike night at our local hotel ( remodeled back to its 19 century style, very beautiful place), the band plays three sets and people can come up to sing a song in each set. The older crowd there love it when we sing the old country songs from the fifties an sixties, the first two sets that is what I sing, but during the third set I sing old Gospel songs like "Amazing Grace" " Peace In the Valley" "Why Me Lord" "Swing low Sweet Chariot" " "Put Your Hand in the Hand" and the people love it, some even come up and dance when I sing these great songs.

Sorry I got off track, as I said before I was only a dues paying member to the Legion and hardly ever went there, that is until I got back from the war in Iraq (2004) then I went there very often. I went there to be with fellow Veterans and I drank like a fish in water, just to forget some of the war. That is when something changed in me, I looked at a friend one time, an Veteran of Vietnam (whom I have the deepest respect for) he sat on the bar stool everyday and hammer down one beer after another basically for the same reason I was drinking. I said to myself "I don't want to end up like my friend", I started to seek Jesus and he has helped me so much.

I feel God wanting me to do more, I felt I needed to help fellow Veterans from past wars as well as present. I became the Commander of the Legion two years ago and I'm trying to lead by example, I'm hoping my light shines on my fellow Legionnaires. I get no grief from my fellow Veterans for being a Christian and they decided to reelected me as Commander. I also help the young men coming home from the present wars, when a young Veteran comes in with pain in his heart I take him to a quiet place in the club just to listen to him, they must get it all out in order for the mental wounds to start healing. It is sad to say, but liquor does have a way of making these Veterans talk about their pain, I guess it is better for them to talk to somebody sober then to another drunk.

Well there you have it my motive for being at the club, if anyone considers that to be a sinner, then so be it and if I happen to be singing there.................. well like Fez said (so sue me :21: )

And no Joe I don't preach the Gospel to those in the club. Did you ever try preaching to somebody three sheets into the wind? If you haven't yet, good luck getting through to them. I have been seen reading the Bible in the Legion during semi quiet times and if it stirs somebody to start asking me questions, GREAT. It is sorta like that old saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink", there should be an more to the saying "but if the horse seeks water, he will drink water".

Now to answer Logos Knight's Questions.

1. already answered, American Legion (social room) .

2. veterans and there are social members.

3. unfortunately 3am and I'm working with the board to get that moved up.

4. Very little cigarette smoke, we have a smoking area set aside with smoke eaters.

I might add we have rules that patrons must abide by.

- NO profanity whatsoever.

- Respect for others.

- No fighting.

- No Drugs.

The list has a lot more and we have bard members for breaking the rules (some for life)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

I feel we wouldn't be helping others that might come home to Christ if we didn't pursue them where they hang out. Scripture tells us we must strive to be more like Jesus. Jesus wasn't afraid to go into the dens of sinners to spread God's word, he was trying to bring lost sheep back to the flock.

Jesus did not go into the "dens" of sinners. Jesus did not hang out in the red light district looking for prostitutes. The sinners always came to Jesus. Jesus was not afraid to be the friend of sinners, but Jesus did not hang out per se, with sinners.

I am sure the people you want to help also have homes and other places they like to frequent like restaurants and such. Why not reach out to them there?

Before going to a bar to witness, you need to check your motives and make sure that you are not using this as an ulterior motives to drink and enjoy the bar scene.

I like your answer and agree with it. I am not going to judge a christian who goes to a bar, but if they really seek God about whether or not they should go, then I'm sure the Holy Spirit would tell them not to do it. I'm not comfortable hanging around people drinking their heads off, whether at a bar or restaurant. I don't want a drop of liquor passing my lips, Jesus saved me from that. Why would I want to go back into what I was delivered from and fellowship with the devil's people? For those who like to play pool or games, I'm sure there are other alternatives or places one could go. It is not a good christian testimony to frequent a bar, because people are not mind readers, they will assume you went there to drink with the rest of the boozers.

....And no Joe I don't preach the Gospel to those in the club. Did you ever try preaching to somebody three sheets into the wind? If you haven't yet, good luck getting through to them....

A Veteran's Club More Often Than Not Contains A Bar But As Any Vet (Drunk Or No) Knows, It Is Not A Bar And They Never Claim It As One

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

My Son's First Sunday School Was Literally At The Bar Of The 509 Club (American Legion Post 509) In Fresno, CA

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:21-26

I Had No Reservation In Putting Him At This Bar But I Did Not Go Around Town Telling Folk My Eight Year Old Boy Was A Bar Fly

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17

And It's OK For Believers To Go Into Bars And Be A Witness To Their Drinking Buddies

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14

Cause That's What Jesus Did

And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. 2 Corinthians 6:15-18

Why Would An Elder Come Into Worthy And Make Such Claims To The Children

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

Shame!