EricH

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

I was watching Ravi Zacharias last night as he talked about the impact of secularization, pluralism and privatism on our culture. He provided the following quote from Malcolm Muggeridge:

The world's way of responding to decay is to engage equally in idiot hopes and idiot despair.

On the one hand some new policy or discovery is confidently expected to put everything to rights: a new fuel, a new drug, détente, world government. On the other, some disaster is as confidently expected to prove our undoing. Capitalism will break down. Fuel will run out. Plutonium will lay us low. Atomic waste will kill us off. Overpopulation will suffocate us, or alternatively, a declining birth rate will put us more surely at the mercy of our enemies.

In Christian terms, such hopes and fears are equally beside the point. As Christians we know that in this world we have no continuing city, that crowns roll in the dust and that every earthly kingdom must sometime flounder. We acknowledge a King men did not crown and cannot dethrone, and we are citizens of a city of God they did not build and cannot destroy.

This quote really struck me as reflecting what is going on in our culture (even in discussions on Worthy). What do y'all think?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

I replied to this in the other thread.

I believe the problem is this;

Jer

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I was watching Ravi Zacharias last night as he talked about the impact of secularization, pluralism and privatism on our culture. He provided the following quote from Malcolm Muggeridge:

The world's way of responding to decay is to engage equally in idiot hopes and idiot despair.

On the one hand some new policy or discovery is confidently expected to put everything to rights: a new fuel, a new drug, d

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

It is poignant to realise that Malcolm Muggeridge wrote two thick volumes entitled 'Chronicles of Wasted Time'.

What a great title

It is poignant to realise that Malcolm Muggeridge wrote two thick volumes entitled 'Chronicles of Wasted Time'.

What a great title

Yeah bro...I guess as a journalist and former Communist sympathiser (he went to move and live in Russia) he had plenty to reflect on...not that he was in any way idle, but that many of the things he thought important and that motivated him through much of his life, proved worthless and mere distractions in comparison to knowing the L-rd.

Yeah bro...I guess as a journalist and former Communist sympathiser (he went to move and live in Russia) he had plenty to reflect on...not that he was in any way idle, but that many of the things he thought important and that motivated him through much of his life, proved worthless and mere distractions in comparison to knowing the L-rd.

Sounds like Solomon

Lol ...I gues he does a bit.

I think many of us reflect similar elements at times, and our lives have phases to them as we mature, battle and press forward in an effort to appropriate for ourselves all that we see we have been given through so great a salvation...through it all, I have personally found that the Christian path is light walking on a tight-rope, and it is easy to lose ones balance, particularly if you take your eyes off Jesus..but not only is He the focus of our life, but also our safety net.

Getting a sense of proportion and a realistic aspect takes time, and inevitably encompasses mistakes/sin...I remember the fervour and the wonderment in the early stages of my salvation, but I also remember the ignorance and the embarassing naivity that had not learnt to listen to the Spirit....in later years I see the need to still maintain that burning zeal in ones heart, but to temper it with what one has been discipled with through gradual understanding of the ways of G-d....comparable to what Paul says in so many words, not as though having arrived anywhere, but always pressing on to what lies ahead in G-d.

Phil 3:7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, 9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11 in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you; 16however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.