Axxman

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Since this is NFL anti-masculinity month I thought it would be prudent to remind everyone that the Susan G Komen foundation has donated millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood over the last few years, inspite of the mounting evidence that abortion is a leading factor in breast cancer.

If you are inclined to donate money to cancer research I would suggest finding a charitable foundation that believes in protecting the lives of women...and babies.

Its also been a year since the Susan G Komen foundation fronted their anti-semitism...story here

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

Since this is NFL anti-masculinity month I thought it would be prudent to remind everyone that the Susan G Komen foundation has donated millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood over the last few years, inspite of the mounting evidence that abortion is a leading factor in breast cancer.

If you are inclined to donate money to cancer research I would suggest finding a charitable foundation that believes in protecting the lives of women...and babies.

Its also been a year since the Susan G Komen foundation fronted their anti-semitism...story here

Okay, I don't know if you just have a problem with Breast Cancer Research and Awareness in general, or if it's some kind of personal issue with the Susan G. Komen Foundation. But, the NFL choosing to take an active part in Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October) is hardly "anti-masculinity." I would argue that it takes a real man to wear pink in support of women the world over who are fighting this battle. (Including myself.) And just so you know, breast cancer is not strictly a woman's problem. Men get it as well. I suppose those men shouldn't have had abortions. :blink:

Whatever one's views on Planned Parenthood and the role they have played and continue to play in the abortion issue, saying abortion CAUSES breast cancer is ridiculous. Abortion does not cause breast cancer. Having an abortion and thus not having a child can, according to some, slightly increase a woman's risk of developing breast cancer. Having a miscarriage does exactly the same thing. Choosing not to have children=the same increased risk. It is the hormones released by a woman's body during pregnancy that affords her some small lessening of that risk. So, if a woman had an abortion, then later carried a child to term, the abortion no longer has any physical impact on her chance of developing cancer.

If you want to do some study...

I am NOT advocating abortion. I'm just saying that your premise is utterly wrong and frankly offensive to me since you're essentially saying that if I'd had children, I wouldn't have breast cancer now. You don't know that. No one does. And just because something puts you in a higher risk category does not mean you can call that thing the cause of a disease.

And finally, you should have done a bit more research into that whole Susan G. Komen anti-Semite thing, since it, too, turns out to be wrong.

Israeli scientists will be allowed to participate in an Egyptian conference hosted by Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

The scientists' invitations to the event had been revoked by order of Egyptian Health Minister Hatem el-Gabali.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure, a prominent advocate for breast cancer research, launched a successful diplomatic effort to reverse the decision.

"Susan G. Komen for the Cure has now received confirmation that all scientists, regardless of their country of origin, are invited to fully participate in events to bring breast cancer to the forefront of public discussion in the Middle East," said the organization's founder, Nancy Brinker.

Link to article that updates the situation

The Susan G. Komen Foundation lobbied to have the invitations honored and won. I can't pretend to be surprised that a Muslim nation would try to exclude Israelis from what was intended to be a multi-national event intended to help women worldwide. But it was the people you wrongly try to blame for this blatant bigotry that in fact worked to make sure everyone was included.

The article you linked to made many ugly accusations, including less than veiled suggestions that the Komen Foundation somehow supported the many horrific ways women are abused around the world because they don't try to fight these things as well.

Considering the fact that over 95% of the girls/women have had clitorectomies in Egypt, perhaps a Susan G. Komen Restore The Clitoris Foundation might do more good. They will continue with their Jew banned conference because they want "to end suffering". Well then, how 'bout a Susan G. Komen Stop Honorcide and Gender Apartheid Foundation?

It's a foundation dedicated to breast cancer research, not ending abuse. Expecting them to somehow fix all the world's ills is not only unfair, but unrealistic. The article implied that the Komen Foundation deliberately chose to host an event where Jews would not be welcome. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I don't personally care if you or anyone else chooses to support or donate to the Susan G. Komen Foundation or to some other breast cancer research group or no one at all. But if you're going to make ugly accusations, at least make sure you have the facts straight. I think that's the least any Christian ought to do, since we ourselves are often painted with a less than truthful brush.

Oh, and the Foundation is going to Israel this year.

Komen Comes to Israel

:bored-1:

From the National Cancer Institute.

In February 2003, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) convened a workshop of over 100 of the world

I'm don't want to fight with you guys about it. If you wish to support a charity that donates millions of dollars to an organization that kills thousands of innocent children...so be it. Some people may not be aware of the connection and now they know.

Real men do wear pink (its historically a mens color)...real men do not wearing flaming neon pink.

The Komen group did NOT change their stance on the Egyptian Forum until they received a buttload of negative press about it, including from Doctors against Racism and Anti-Semitism. Pamela Gellar even wrote them a letter asking them not to participate in the Conference and she received a reply from the Founder Nancy Brinker which was nothing more than excuses and a refusal to do the right thing. Then they flip-flopped after they got so much negative pressure. The Jews are always happy to be an after-thought.

lastly, I never said abortion causes breast cancer.

:sherlock: <-----back at ya

"The main NCI activist who got the agency to deny the abortion-breast cancer link has co-authored a study admitting the abortion-breast cancer link is true, calling it a "known risk factor."

Source

what?!?!

Lets start dressing men up in neon pink teenage girl colors, convince them that abortion is safe, then get them to donate millions of dollars to abortion clinics through our alleged concern for breast cancer....

If the NFL cared jack-squat about raising money for cancer research they would donate money. They have a billion dollar business with million dollar players. They should each donate 10% of their October earnings and they would raise more money than they ever will by trying to sell Joe-american a pair of neon pink sweatbands for $250...that is, if they cared so much.

I'm just saying that your premise is utterly wrong and frankly offensive to me since you're essentially saying that if I'd had children, I wouldn't have breast cancer now.

Sorry to hear about your health issues...truly.

The Susan G Komen website itself says that childbearing is a positive factor in regards to breast cancer risk. No one can say that if you'd had children that you wouldn't get breast cancer...but even the foundation itself lists child birth as a positive factor.

Why would an organization that claims to care about saving women's lives donate millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood which promotes a proceedure that ends child birth when it is good for women in regards to breast cancer??

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  58

Susan G Komen foundation has donated millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood over the last few years

Winsomebulldog, you made interesting points in your post, but you didnt address this one. Is it true that the foundation gave millions to planned parenthood? If so, then can a Christian support that foundation despite the laudable research against breast cancer?

lastly, I never said abortion causes breast cancer.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you said right here:

...inspite of the mounting evidence that abortion is a leading factor in breast cancer.

Real men do wear pink (its historically a mens color)...real men do not wearing flaming neon pink.

This, to me, is nit-picking. Pink is pink, whether it be hot pink or a sweet little baby girl pastel. If you want to argue against the pink, you'll find a way to do it. Personally, I like the hot pink much better than the pastel. But then I'm a girl. :)

The Komen group did NOT change their stance on the Egyptian Forum until they received a buttload of negative press about it, including from Doctors against Racism and Anti-Semitism. Pamela Gellar even wrote them a letter asking them not to participate in the Conference and she received a reply from the Founder Nancy Brinker which was nothing more than excuses and a refusal to do the right thing. Then they flip-flopped after they got so much negative pressure. The Jews are always happy to be an after-thought.

Okay, so it took them a few days, literally less than a week, to convince the Egyptian minister of health, Hatem el-Gabali, to change his mind. Oh, and then Egypt started claiming that it had never rescinded the invitations in the first place. They, and the Komen Foundation called it a misunderstanding. Frankly, I think it was a deliberate act by the Egyptians to snub the Israelis. Not like they haven't done such things before. I (and one of the women who was supposed to attend) put the majority of the blame on the Egyptian government. Could the Komen Foundation have done more, probably. The could have reacted with more outrage, I guess, canceled their entire participation in the event over it all, and then no one would have gone. Instead they took the diplomatic route and they still get called all sorts of names. I just don't think they should bear the brunt of the blame, especially since the decision was not theirs to make. Egypt has the power to refuse anyone entrance into their country - which was what the Komen Foundation was told would happen to the Israeli scientists. The Foundation had no control over that. They invited the women and at the last possible second were warned that there was a problem. I cannot fathom how they deserve to be blamed for that.

The Israeli advocate says that Komen certainly could have done more, sooner, to stand up for Israel, but the real anger should be directed at the Egyptian government. “These people are extending their hand,” she said of Komen, pointing to the Komen delegation’s trip to Israel. “There are tremendous opportunities to collaborate, and we would be shortsighted to give that up.”Article and source of the quote

I'm just saying that your premise is utterly wrong and frankly offensive to me since you're essentially saying that if I'd had children, I wouldn't have breast cancer now.

Sorry to hear about your health issues...truly.

The Susan G Komen website itself says that childbearing is a positive factor in regards to breast cancer risk. No one can say that if you'd had children that you wouldn't get breast cancer...but even the foundation itself lists child birth as a positive factor.

Why would an organization that claims to care about saving women's lives donate millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood which promotes a proceedure that ends child birth when it is good for women in regards to breast cancer??

And here is why your whole "abortion is a leading factor in breast cancer" notion is wrong. It is NOT a LEADING FACTOR. Not having children, whether due to choice, miscarriage, or abortion, may well provide a slightly increased risk, but it is not a leading cause. The vast majority of women I know who have breast cancer - and I know a lot via the Cancer Survivors Network - are mothers and/or grandmothers. Age is a far greater risk factor than abortion.

As to the Komen Foundation's ties to Planned Parenthood... I looked it up. I'm curious to know if you understand that Planned Parenthood provides more than abortions? Do you understand that for some women it is the only source of health care they have. Years ago, I was one of those women. I did not go to a Planned Parenthood looking for a way to terminate a pregnancy. I went there to have yearly exams because I had no insurance and no job and no other options. Yes, their policies on abortion are wrong, but the entire organization is not some evil entity out there to force abortions on unsuspecting women. The Komen Foundation provides money to SOME programs that are run by Planned Parenthood. NONE of the money they donate is used to fund abortions, or anything other than breast health and care programs. Komen Foundation letter explaining their ties to Planned Parenthood

Also, the amount of money donated by the Komen Foundation is not as vast as you imply. Less than 1% of their donated money goes to Planned Parenthood programs annually. That's less than 1 million dollars a year. Over time, yes they've donated "Millions" but only over a number of years as a total. Here's the link for that info: Komen Foundation Message Points

Basically, you're putting a lot of blame at the door of the Komen Foundation that does not belong there. I doubt anything I've said here will change that, because you've already made up your mind. You're going to say - as you did with man's reference to the ACS site - that they've got some kind of ulterior motive for their claims. My question is, what kind of ulterior motive do those spreading the "abortion causes breast cancer" lies have? Maybe because they so desperately want to stop abortions they are willing to spread false information in an effort to accomplish their goals? I've seen people do it before, often without even realizing what they're doing. I've got a friend who passes on every single email she gets without bothering to check into the validity of them just because they stir her emotions. I won't be a party to spreading disinformation, even on a subject as ugly as abortion. As I said earlier, abortion raises a woman's risk of breast cancer no more than a conscious decision not to have children or a naturally occurring miscarriage. It's wrong to try to claim otherwise.

Gosh, the evidence that the Komen Foundation does NOT support or provide Planned Parenthood's abortion policies just keeps going on and on:

Pro-Life Catholic Supports Komen

Surely everyone out there can understand that the grants the Komen Foundation makes to Planned Parenthood are monitored? Planned Parenthood has to prove where they are spending the money and are legally restricted from using it for ANYTHING other than the purposes the Komen Foundation dictates, i.e. breast health and care for low/no income women.