• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  444
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

CWJ,

I answered your questions with my last post. I'll see if I can't find other verses for support. I just knew that those would be easy for me to find.

I do have one question for you though... Are you sure you're using the right translation? I don't know about the version you are using, but I know that Luther added the word "alone" several places in the bible he used behind the word "faith" in order to get "faith alone" in the Bible. Are you sure that the people who translated your Bible didn't do the same thing? This is not an accusation for I don't know what they did or what their intention was, just a question.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked out 2Cor 2:15 at this web site:

http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible

There were only three versions that translated it as ARE SAVED, the King James, the Darby, and the American Standard.

The New King James and the New American Standard both translated it as BEING SAVED (or a variation on that)...

Munari, could you give me those passages you just mentioned?  I have a different translation and would like to compare.  Thank you.

I'm not sure which passages you mean? You mean the various translations of 2Cor 2:15 or all of the passages in that one message I posted?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Whenever OSnASers use Phil2:12 they always leave off a qualifier for that...Phil2:13.....so lets examine both together ...in context:

Phil2:12-13..."Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling...For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."

Looking in verses9-11 we see the glorification of God's almightiness.

The one at the top of the page, the one you posted at 0941.  I was posting at the same time you posted 2 Corinthians 15.

I was wondering that too Astralis...

Oh, ok Xan, so, does that mean I don't need to post anything else for you?

I do have one question for you though... Are you sure you're using the right translation? I don't know about the version you are using, but I know that Luther added the word "alone" several places in the bible he used behind the word "faith" in order to get "faith alone" in the Bible. Are you sure that the people who translated your Bible didn't do the same thing? This is not an accusation for I don't know what they did or what their intention was, just a question.

Let's make it easier.  How about if I just quote you.  I'm talking about these passages.

Wow, it took me about an hour of net searching, but I finally found it   :read:

I didn't find it on the net originally, I believe I heard someone on the radio say it, so I didn't have a printed source, but I found it mentioned at this site (which I am saving to my favorites so I don't have to search for it again!).

Here's the quote, followed by the link:

The doctrine that salvation is by faith only. The term emerged as a consequence of Luther's translation of Rom. 3:28 in which he added the word "alone" to the phrase "man is justified by faith [alone] apart from works of the Law" (NASB). He was severely castigated for this, but Erasmus defended him. The translation is justifiable in view of the only alternative, namely justification by works, which Paul expressly repudiated. The Council of Trent (1545 - 63), on the other hand, vigorously opposed Luther's translation and all that it implied by declaring: "If anyone saith that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in the divine mercy which remits sins for Christ's sake, or that this confidence alone is that whereby we are justified, let him be anathema" (Session 6, Can. 12).

http://www.mb-soft.com/believe/txc/solafide.htm