tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  444
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

That depends on the person. I'll speak of what a devout Catholic would have to do to lose their salvation. The first would be to completely turn from God. That could be numerous things which I do not have to list here.

Another is to abandon the Catholic Church. A devout Catholic believes that Christ set up the Catholic Church and that it is the True Church and the only Church that is in FULL communion with Christ. To turn from that Truth would be grave.

That follows into the next thing that could lose salvation, commit a mortal sin. A mortal sin is a sin that severs our relationship with God. A mortal sin can only be forgiven in confession. Less serious sins, called venial, can be forgiven just by asking God. When confessing a mortal sin though, it is supposed to be a show of our humility, our willingness to admit to another person (the priest) what we did wrong and that we are willing to go through the humiliation and the penance in order to be right with God. Now, this does not take away from Christ's sacrafice at all. In fact, I think it shows a deep respect for his sacrafice because by going to confession, we admit that we screwed up and that we are basically taking advantage of what Christ did for us. We go to Christ in confession and say we are sorry, please forgive us.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

I can identify.  I was raised Seventh-day Adventist.  I was taught if you didn't ask forgiveness of every sin you might not go to heaven, if you died without confessing every sin, you might not go to heaven, if "probation" closed before you had a chance to confess all your sins, you'd go to hell.  Probation was unbiblical false doctrine....nevermind,  I was told God was up there now judging everyone's life and their sins and deeds and when He got done, you were either in the good book or the book of death.

Most importantly, I was taught that it was the only TRUE CHURCH, if I left, I would surely go to hell.  Those who didn't know any better might be OK, but, I, knowing I was the remnant, could never leave.  The Mormons and JW's think they are the "true church" too.  Most evangelical christians, such as myself, believe that the body of believers who stand for Christ are the church.

Well, I studied myself out, trying to turn my neighbors into good little SDA's.  I praise God for the promise of James 1:5.  I claimed it and He surely came through.  He showed me what He wanted me to see, because I asked.  We could save a lot of time and worry if we would just ASK Him what He wants us to do.

I realize now, that I had no relationship with Jesus when I was in that "true" religion (I'm not saying that applies to you at all) I didn't know God, I went to church one day a week and didn't give it a thought for the next six days.  I was a lousy witness, I had no light.  

Munari, God is no respector of persons,.... or religions.  We are all equal, slave, free, male female...just His children.  There is not one man-made religion that is not flawed.  He sent His Son so that you don't have to go through a Priest anymore for your sins or for prayer, you have direct access to the throne!  I can share with you all day and you will doubt what I say, so my best advise is to ask God.  He will tell you what He needs for you to know.

Blessings and prayers :read:

I've said on this board many times that I did leave my Catholic faith. A Protestant friend got me back into my Christianity. While I was searching for answers about the Eucharist, I bumped into John 6 and everything fell into place then.

And, I agree with you Word, God looks at all man-made religions the same. However, the Catholic Church is NOT man-made, unless you admit it is man-made through the person of Christ, both God and man. We believe that the Bible clearly shows Christ setting up the Catholic Church by means of Apolstolic succession and tradition. That is something (I think) that those other groups (Mormons, SDA, JW) do not admit to. They have other sources. Our source is Christ himself that has been passed on to us to this DAY through Apostolic Succession in the Papacy! A line that runs straight through history to that day when Peter proclaimed that Jesus was the Messiah! That is AWESOME!

Word, look into the Catholic Church and what it teaches. I would not recommend it if I didn't know it was Truth.

Don't know about the Mormons and JW's, but the SDA's think they have THE God inspired prophet and that their religion is infallible and it was created by God.  God told me about three years ago that I should be in the church that I am in and I doubted it, I was still "hooked" and deceived by the SDA teachings though I didn't actively go to church anywhere.  I don't think my Baptist church is the "true church" but I believe that God truly wants me there to fulfill part of His plan in my life.  If I were to move, I would pray that God send me to the church of His choice, regardless of the denomination.

I think the Lord deals with everyone who is willing to be dealt with.  I see Him dealing in the SDA church and many are leaving and even pastors who are 3rd and 4th generation SDA's.  I also see Him dealing with the Catholic faith in it's troubles currently.  I haven't seen a Spirit of repentance in many of those accused priests, only a concern for their well being.  That is of course, not referring to all of them, I did see one who truly seemed to be sorry an publicly state that.  I commend him and hope that others follow.

I do not know that God doesn't want you there, but I do know that he doesn't want me there.  I also know that if you continue to seek His face and ask Him for guidance, He will show you what He truly wants for your life.  When I was studying, I was praying for God to show me the right "proof texts" to give my neighbors so that they would see the error of their ways.  After a lot of prayer and study, everything I read was pointing me away from everything I had ever been taught and the Holy SPirit put it in my heart to pray for God's will.  I prayed "God, everything I read is turning me away from my convictions, if this is truly as it appears, make it clear to me.  I want to do your will and not my own, I want your understanding."    He immediately led me scripture after scripture confirming to me that I was saved by grace, and nothing else, no religion, no Sabbath, nothing but Jesus.  I was so relieved and happy and felt the awesome power of the Holy Spirit on my life, like nothing I can describe!  I am absolutely positive, without a shadow of a doubt that I am saved, and I never had that before.  He also sent several people into my life to confirm this to me-as the scripture says, on the testimony of two or three witnesses.

Remember, God can not reveal anything to a closed mind.  I have to remind myself that when I think I have it all figured out, I don't know anything.

I have no doubt that you can be saved in the Catholic church, even the JW and SDA's and whoever can be saved, but I have no doubt either, that you can surely leave a denomination and still be saved.

Sorry so winded!

I am adding you to my prayer list with the prayer that the Holy Spirit reveal to you God's will for your life and that it be confirmed to you by at least 2 witnesses.

Watch out!

:read:

That's funny you mention that you are praying that God show me his plans and his will for me... Ever since I came back to the Catholic Church, and even when I was younger, there has always been a desire to be a priest. However, I also want to have a family, but I don't think I ever will. I can feel God telling me that I WILL be a priest and I can do it the easy way or the hard way. The easy way would be giving up what I THINK I want and give in RIGHT NOW to what he has for me. Or, I can continue looking for just the right job that I want and continue looking for a future wife, but I don't think I will find either one. I think this is the hard way. I can continue to strive after what I want and keep running into walls, or run into the arms of God and be completely enveloped in his will.

When put that way, I don't see how I cannot go into a seminary, but I guess I'm not ready yet. I guess I need a few more black eyes and bruises from life.

Do me a favor,  claim James 1:5-8 and I will continue praying for a DIRECT, obvious, answer to what God wants for your life and I know without a doubt that you will receive an answer.  Also, if you feel led, take communion when you claim James 1:5-8, I believe it will bring a definate revelation and then be confirmed by at least two witnesses.  I am speaking it in faith, in Jesus' name, hallelujia, thank you Jesus.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "claim" James 1:5-8.

James 1:5-8:  If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him But let him ask in faith, without doubting for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.  For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord.  he is a double minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Now you know what it says, now you pray, "God, I am asking you for wisdom in what Your plan is for my life and claiming the promise of James 1:5 that you will give me that wisdom, liberally, without reproach as I have faith in your Word and believe that You will reveal Your perfect will to me.  I pray this prayer with faith in Jesus' name"

Then, you wait, cause your answer's coming! :read:

I've been doing that for a LOOOONNNNGGGG time... not with that specific verse in mind, but I've been praying a prayer very much like that for years now. I need to be more patient... God's timeframe is quite different from mine.

You're right, it is God's timing, but you have to claim the promise with no doubting that God will lead you in the right direction.  My thought would be that if God wanted you to be a priest, you would have no desire to have a wife and a family.  Remember, Paul said that type of single lifestyle was for very few, for him it was good, but for many it was not.  I think if God intends a person to be single forever, they would really just have no interest in marriage, because He would have made them that way.  Have you ever prayed for a wife?  That is also a very important thing to do.  

I'm believing and expecting a revelation for you either way. :read: