Adstar

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

one account says he hung himself while the other account says he fell headlong and went splat.

i recall we had this discussion before, and that the accounts of his death were fairly reconciled, and even did some reading of several articles that helped explain it. but it's still difficult for me to grasp.

botz?

Well I used to believe that Judas went out and threw himself on a sharp piece of tree trunk that was coming up from the ground and 'hung ' on it (in fact I was taught this by a Pastor in Torremolinos in Spain)...in the same way that Saul fell on his sword..

1Ch 10:5 And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise on the sword, and died.

But the greek word 'apagchomai' that denotes 'hanged' is precise enough to mean 'choked with a cord.' and not hanged or impaled on something.

There is no discrepancy between the two passages...one just has more or different details of the same incident. He obviously did hang himself on a tree...but at some stage the rope broke...and as LadyC eloquently puts it...he went 'splat'.

It could also imply that Judas was a very heavy fellow! :o

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Greetings,

I don't understand the reason for the question in lieu of this:

Matt 27:3-8 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. 5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. 6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. 7 And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in. 8 Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

The question is the discrepancy between the account you have posted above and the scripture in Acts.

Acts 1

16"Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus; 17for he was numbered with us and obtained a part in this ministry."

18Now this man purchased a field with the wages of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out.

One says that the chief priests purchased the land the other says that judas purchased the land. Here lies the reason for the question.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

"purchased the field with wages of iniquity"

This is saying that he reaped what he sowed, not that he literally bought the field himself.

And botz, isn't there something in Hebrew culture about someone representing you? If someone does something for you, or in your name, that it's the same as if you did it yourself?

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

traveller.."purchased the field with wages of iniquity"

This is saying that .."purchased the field with wages of iniquity", not that he literally bought the field himself.

I don't think the expression... .."purchased the field with wages of iniquity" is Hebrew idiom for...."he reaped what he sowed"...although he certainly got paid the wages of sin in the fullest meaning of the words.

And botz, isn't there something in Hebrew culture about someone representing you? If someone does something for you, or in your name, that it's the same as if you did it yourself?

The only things that spring immediately to mind are if do something in proxy for someone else...a bit like the Centurion petitioning Jesus for the healing of his servant. Or the words of Jesus Himself...

Matthew 25:40 "The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'

Going back for a minute to why Judas' body should fall from the tree on which he hung himself..we can see from Scripture that there was an earthquake when Jesus died..

Mat 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

Mat 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

Mat 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

Mat 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Mat 27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

And this could be a legitimate reason that the whole tree or branch broke plunging the body of Judas to the ground and causing the his belly to split open and spill his blood and guts..

Some commentators suggest that when the body of Judas was found he was quickly and unceremoniously cut down from the tree and his body split open then...this brings in the whole question of time and place..eg just like Jesus' body

was rapidly interned because of Shabbat...perhaps the uncleaness associated with the suicide of Judas warranted the rapid disposal of his body too.

Gal 3:13 Messiah redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us. For it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree,"

There are certainly some interesting parallels between the death of Jesus and the death of Judas.

Guest shadow2b
-one account says he hung himself while the other account says he fell headlong and went splat.

-i recall we had this discussion before, and that the accounts of his death were fairly reconciled, and even did some reading of several articles that helped explain it. but it's still difficult for me to grasp.

ohhhhhh-LadyC ---MY Lady-Faire-Sister-Maam---IT is NOT difficult at all ya silly Sister--You--- :il: :il: -WENT SPLAT?? -I LOVE that description -rofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gif-

-But the greek word 'apagchomai' that denotes 'hanged' is precise enough to mean 'choked with a cord.' and not hanged or impaled on something.

There is no discrepancy between the two passages...one just has more or different details of the same incident. He obviously did hang himself on a tree...but at some stage the rope broke...and as LadyC eloquently puts it...he went 'splat'.

It could also imply that Judas was a very heavy fellow!- ;) 

-Wowwwww- I kinda think that tharR Botzy Brother--Feller haz stated tha case---

--Most Eloquently{IMHO}- :P:P:P yupp: :P he aire one mighty :o;)

Cool-dude- :D

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

traveller.."purchased the field with wages of iniquity"

This is saying that .."purchased the field with wages of iniquity", not that he literally bought the field himself.

I don't think the expression... .."purchased the field with wages of iniquity" is Hebrew idiom for...."he reaped what he sowed"...although he certainly got paid the wages of sin in the fullest meaning of the words.

The only things that spring immediately to mind are if do something in proxy for someone else...a bit like the Centurion petitioning Jesus for the healing of his servant. Or the words of Jesus Himself...

Matthew 25:40 "The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'

Going back for a minute to why Judas' body should fall from the tree on which he hung himself..we can see from Scripture that there was an earthquake when Jesus died..

Mat 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

Mat 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

Mat 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

Mat 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Mat 27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

And this could be a legitimate reason that the whole tree or branch broke plunging the body of Judas to the ground and causing the his belly to split open and spill his blood and guts..

Some commentators suggest that when the body of Judas was found he was quickly and unceremoniously cut down from the tree and his body split open then...this brings in the whole question of time and place..eg just like Jesus' body

was rapidly interned because of Shabbat...perhaps the uncleaness associated with the suicide of Judas warranted the rapid disposal of his body too.

Gal 3:13 Messiah redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us. For it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree,"

There are certainly some interesting parallels between the death of Jesus and the death of Judas.

Oops, sorry. :t2: Wrong analogy. But, what I was getting at is that I don't think it is saying that he literally paid the money himself, but it is a way of saying that it is a consequence for his actions. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/16/1955

The way I see it is that Judas tied a chord around his neck and dove off a cliff, causing his bowels to burst open on the jagged rocks, as far as the 30 pieces of silver that is explained, through his actions he paid for the field, it was his money, the Pharisee

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/12/1939

I agree with you 100% John3"16

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,550
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  10/15/1943

The way I see it is that Judas tied a chord around his neck and dove off a cliff, causing his bowels to burst open on the jagged rocks, as far as the 30 pieces of silver that is explained, through his actions he paid for the field, it was his money, the Pharisee

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

One other suggestion about the body. Judas hung himself during the High Holy days. At that time no self-respecting Jewish person would have approached the body or else they would be unclean for the ceremonies. I am sure after three days the decomposition would be enough to cause a mess.

Today in Bible study we were reading Zechariah 11 and if you look at verses 12-13 in NKJV it reads as follows, "Then I said to them, "If it is agreeable to you, give me my wages; and if not, refrain." So they weighed out for my wages thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter"--that princely price they set on me. SO I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the LORD for the potter."

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Greetings,

I don't understand the reason for the question in lieu of this:

Matt 27:3-8 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. 5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. 6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. 7 And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in. 8 Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

The question is the discrepancy between the account you have posted above and the scripture in Acts.

Acts 1

16"Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus; 17for he was numbered with us and obtained a part in this ministry."

18Now this man purchased a field with the wages of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out.

One says that the chief priests purchased the land the other says that judas purchased the land. Here lies the reason for the question.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

"purchased the field with wages of iniquity"

This is saying that he reaped what he sowed, not that he literally bought the field himself.

this right here is the most logical and accurate explanation.